What’s It’s Really Like Living in Asia As A Solo Female (Oh dear)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

What’s It’s Really Like Living in Asia As A Solo Female (Oh dear)

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

"I had to bitch slap some guys who stared at me the wrong way on the beach in India"

".. the only conceptions your average male has of white, Western women is from the *dirty* movies."

"I would often get called things like “Elephant feet” (Yes, I have big feet, but still) and snickered at by the women working in the shops. The Vietnamese are definitely not keen to hold anything back ever, and if they thought anyone was fat – Well, they just call you fat to your face"

"To make matters worse, a lot of Western guys who are living and working in Vietnam I met were also deplorable in their behavior and attitude towards women. A lot of them most likely hadn’t had any success with women in their home country, so lots of them were out on tirades to demonize Western women and soley were going after Vietnamese women, only to learn to their disappointment that Vietnamese parents certainly don’t like the idea of their daughters perusing around with a shady Western guy at odd hours of the night who tells her he just wants her to come over for a “cuddle."

"My Western male colleagues would often be totally unsupportive of me whenever I would be dealing with horrendous situations with the Vietnamese management at our English center, and would never come together with each other to unite. Most of them were pretty much deplorable, bottom feeders who came out to Vietnam because they were running away from something back home. "

"Most of the times, my male colleagues would side with the corrupt actions of the Vietnamese management, and go along with it all, especially if they could make some money out of it. All to the most selfish and inconsiderate degree. Rather than actually learning about the idea of sharing and thinking more about others, my Western colleagues acted like money mongering sleazeballs rather than being fair with each other and coming together, even when we were all experiencing being ripped off out of our salaries and treated poorly by the management and schools."

Full https://wandering-blossom.com/2018/05/0 ... lo-female/
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: What’s It’s Really Like Living in Asia As A Solo Female (Oh dear)

Post by Captain Bonez »

You're really on a posting spree ain't ya
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Captain Bonez wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:10 am You're really on a posting spree ain't ya
Must be, I'm starting to get harangued for it.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Yeah, well India is different.
Most Western ladies I meet in this region lament the fact that it is difficult to get a date.

I never noticed the elephant feet but maybe that is it,
Her grammar and spelling seem a little deficient for a teacher, and her self regard on par with Mr Trump.

The girls never call my feet elephantine.

They call me Bros sart, but my gf sometimes calls me taa damrei.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:16 am
Captain Bonez wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:10 am You're really on a posting spree ain't ya
Make a thread about it :thumb:
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

It's interesting how white women think they will keep the good treatment they have in their home country.

A man is nice cause he wants to fuck. When he can... Well...
Since when "It’s true that a lot of Asia is very much patriarchal and male dominated, and Vietnam is no exception to this" ?

She lost her strategic advantage of being a woman in her country.

There is nothing for white women in Asia.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

for me, i enjoy someone is spending hours each day searching for articles to post that i would otherwise never had seen
(even thou many remind me of Explorer's post) as they seem to always say the obvious

BUT, rather than just see you posting the article's, how do you feel about the article ur posting?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:51 am
for me, i enjoy someone is spending hours each day searching for articles to post that i would otherwise never had seen
(even thou many remind me of Explorer's post) as they seem to always say the obvious

BUT, rather than just see you posting the article's, how do you feel about the article ur posting?
If I were to give my opinion or comment on every piece I post, members would definitely get fed up with me.
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Post by The Seawolf »

Seen and known plenty of western women getting all screwfaced because they are being totally ignored out and about in se asia. It seems the more attractive they are the harder it is for them.

And it makes me fucking chuckle.

:)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

orussey98 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:40 am It's interesting how white women think they will keep the good treatment they have in their home country.

A man is nice cause he wants to fuck. When he can... Well...
Since when "It’s true that a lot of Asia is very much patriarchal and male dominated, and Vietnam is no exception to this" ?

She lost her strategic advantage of being a woman in her country.

There is nothing for white women in Asia.
Yeah, after reading the article my initial reaction was ''Hello, this is Asia!"

I get a bit tired of people writing these sorts of articles (not just this one but the old white guys one) and just wish they would take off their western hat and leave their western standards and morals back in their home country when in Asia.

Why are they trying to fit Asia to their western standards rather than them trying to fit within Asian standards and morals? And if they don't like it, leave...indeed, the author here has vowed never to return to Vietnam.

Sure, they can write about the differences and complain and that can be informative for others.

I might add too...in my travels I've met quite a few white women in the bars in Philippines and Thailand in particular that were looking for the exact same thing as the white 'sexpat' guys..and making no bones about that. So, for some there is something in Asia for them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic