Thailand’s Unlikely Embrace of Cannabis.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Thailand’s Unlikely Embrace of Cannabis.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

People wait to register their prescriptions for medicinal cannabis oil during the second day of the inaugural Pan Ram weed festival in the northeastern Thai province of Buriram on April 20. Photographer: Lillian Suwanrumpha/AFP/Getty Images

By Natnicha Chuwiruch
July19 2019

Despite a history of tough drug laws, it’s set to be a major supplier as the substance goes global.

"The forecast for the legal cannabis market in Asia is rosy—it’s expected to swell to $8.5 billion by 2024 from practically nothing today. One of the main questions surrounding this potential market is which country will establish an early lead as a supplier. Surprisingly, Thailand has a good shot."

"It’s not the only nation rethinking cannabis. Malaysia and Laos are considering legalizing medical use of the crop, and the Philippines’ lower legislature has passed a medical cannabis measure. “For Thailand to become the Asian leader in the cannabis space, it would most likely require that neither China nor Japan legalize cannabis,” says Alexandra Curley, Prohibition Partners’ head of insights."

"Anutin Charnvirakul, the millionaire leader of political party Bhum Jai Thai, helped Prayuth form a ruling coalition and is expected to use that platform to try to deliver on his campaign promise of legalizing marijuana. The prospects of such a move increased on July 10 when Anutin was named deputy prime minister and public health minister in the newly formed cabinet."

Full https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... nabis-race

"
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thailand’s Unlikely Embrace of Cannabis.

Post by sigmoid »

Hope they legalize it soon. I've been dying to try it my whole life.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I think the main reason for countries legalising it is because they've slowly realised it's a waste of time, money, effort and resources not to. Most people who use it don't give a second thought to the fact that it's illegal. Being caught with it is just an occupational hazard.

Personally, and I know this isn't a popular opinion, I'm wary of making it legal because it legitimatises it and makes people think that it must be safe. For the majority of people, it is safe - at least, as safe as any mild recreational drug can be. But for some, and I have first hand experience of this (although not me personally) , it can cause huge psychological problems.

There is a significant minority of people with varying mental issues, some mild, some more serious, and cannabis has been shown in many instances to intensify and exaggerate those problems, manifesting itself in extreme paranoia, schizophrenia, panic attacks and depression, to name a few.

You could argue that no-one forces people to use it and if affects you negatively, simply don't use it, but it's not quite as simple as that.

On balance though, I still think they may as well legalise it.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I hope to see Thai smoke again :mrgreen:
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

xandreu wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:48 pm I think the main reason for countries legalising it is because they've slowly realised it's a waste of time, money, effort and resources not to. Most people who use it don't give a second thought to the fact that it's illegal. Being caught with it is just an occupational hazard.

Personally, and I know this isn't a popular opinion, I'm wary of making it legal because it legitimatises it and makes people think that it must be safe. For the majority of people, it is safe - at least, as safe as any mild recreational drug can be. But for some, and I have first hand experience of this (although not me personally) , it can cause huge psychological problems.

There is a significant minority of people with varying mental issues, some mild, some more serious, and cannabis has been shown in many instances to intensify and exaggerate those problems, manifesting itself in extreme paranoia, schizophrenia, panic attacks and depression, to name a few.

You could argue that no-one forces people to use it and if affects you negatively, simply don't use it, but it's not quite as simple as that.

I tell ya,
alcohol causes 10x,100 times the problem smoking Ganga will
How many times have you read, "pot smoker runs red light and kills family of 4?"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:54 pm
xandreu wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:48 pm I think the main reason for countries legalising it is because they've slowly realised it's a waste of time, money, effort and resources not to. Most people who use it don't give a second thought to the fact that it's illegal. Being caught with it is just an occupational hazard.

I tell ya,
How many times have you read, "pot smoker runs red light and kills family of 4?"
True. And how many times have you read 'pot smoker institutionalised for his own safety after suicide attempt' = Never. Because it never gets reported like that. But that's not to say it doesn't happen. I've known of several heavy users of pot who have at various times in their lives been sectioned for their own safety. It was never put down to smoking too much pot, but to me and everyone who knew them, we all knew it played a major role.

Incidentally, pot smokers do run red lights from time to time. Even if ganja was made legal, I very much doubt if it would be legal to drive under the effects of it.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

xandreu wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:08 pm

I tell ya,
True. And how many times have you read 'pot smoker institutionalised for his own safety after suicide attempt' = Never. Because it never gets reported like that. But that's not to say it doesn't happen. I've known of several heavy users of pot who have at various times in their lives been sectioned for their own safety. It was never put down to smoking too much pot, but to me and everyone who knew them, we all knew it played a major role.

Incidentally, pot smokers do run red lights from time to time. Even if ganja was made legal, I very much doubt if it would be legal to drive under the effects of it.
Cannabis only reveals latent mental health issues. You would have gone cuckoo eventually, anyhow. It just brings it out earlier. If you have a history or family history of mental health issues you should not be smoking weed. Also, a lot of people self-medicate with cannabis instead of getting medical help. Crazy people make bad choices but drinking heavily will eventually kill you, whereas smoking dope will not.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

cptrelentless wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:01 pm
xandreu wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:08 pm

I tell ya,

Cannabis only reveals latent mental health issues. You would have gone cuckoo eventually, anyhow. It just brings it out earlier. If you have a history or family history of mental health issues you should not be smoking weed. Also, a lot of people self-medicate with cannabis instead of getting medical help. Crazy people make bad choices but drinking heavily will eventually kill you, whereas smoking dope will not.
Firstly. (this sounds like I'm making this in to an argument, I'm genuinely not - it's just a discussion as far as I'm concerned) I've never really understood why people compare dope to alcohol. They are very different 'drugs'; the only difference is the legality. But the drugs themselves and the effects they have on people aren't aware of whether they're legal or not. They still perform their various and very different functions, regardless.

I'm no doctor and have no medical qualification to back this up, but i don't agree that people with mental issues "would have gone cuckoo eventually anyhow". I think that many people with mental issues learn to manage them to an extent where they can live a reasonably normal life, but weed can often take that self control away and leave people in varying degrees of mental distress.

If you, like the huge majority of people who smoke weed (I'm not suggesting you actually do, just assuming) do so and get a positive experience out of it, good for you. I really mean that. I know that it has many benefits, both medically and mentally. It's like a wonder drug to most people who use it. It either eliminates (or significantly reduces) brain disorders like epilepsy and Parkinson disease, or it just relaxes people after a hard days graft. I'm all for that. No complaints here.

But it has been shown in in many, many scientific studies to enhance feelings of negativity in a significant minority of people. And especially that these days, the skunk I used to smoke when I was 18 is nothing compared to the skunk you get nowadays. It is incredibly stronger. Fair enough, most people can handle it, but some can't.

I know for sure that while smoking weed is a relativity harmless activity for the majority of the population, for a significant minority, especially with mental health issues, it's a dangerous drug that should be avoided at all costs.

By legalizing it, you're saying that it's safe for everyone. Which simply isn't true.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:54 pm I tell ya,
I agree, though both undeniably lead to mental decline in the long term
I think you can attest to that

monstra mihi bona!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

While a lot more research is needed, various early studies indicate the neurogenerative effects of cannabis may promote long term health of the brain and nerve tissues.

A small open-label trial conducted by Israeli researchers found that THC helps relieve symptoms of dementia in patients with Alzheimer’s disease.
Findings in a new study published in The Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease suggest that cannabis extracts containing tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) are beneficial at relieving symptoms in patients with Alzheimer’s disease.

THC is the most abundant cannabinoid found in cannabis. The psychoactive compound activates the CB1 and CB2 receptors of the body’s endocannabinoid system to elicit chemical responses designed to regulate various processes and keep them balanced.

A team of Israeli researchers from the Israel and Sackler Faculty of Medicine at Tel-Aviv University examined the effects of THC on 11 Alzheimer’s patients over the course of four weeks. After the cannabis treatments, the researchers recorded a significant reduction in the Clinical Global Impression (CGI) scale, a well-established research rating tool designed to track the progression of the disease.

The researchers also recorded a significant reduction in behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia, including agitation, aggression, irritability, apathy, delusions, and sleep. Those who care for a person with Alzheimer’s disease commonly are affected by physical and emotional burdens, but the study found that giving patients cannabis oil with THC also significantly reduced caregiver stress.

“Adding [medical cannabis oil] to [Alzheimer’s disease] patients’ pharmacotherapy is safe and a promising treatment option,” the researchers concluded.

The investigation was an open-label trial, meaning both the researchers and patients were aware that they were being given the medical cannabis oil with THC with no chance of placebo.

Alzheimer’s disease is an incurable and progressive type of dementia that destroys memory, behavior and thinking. The buildup of amyloid-beta protein fragments and twisted fibers of tau in the brain inhibit cell-to-cell communication and the transport of nutrients, eventually causing brain cell death. Those with the disease gradually lose their memory, and frustrations over the loss of cognitive function often leads to depression, anxiety, mood swings, and irritability. It’s the most common type of dementia, affecting an estimated 5.5 million Americans.

This trial’s findings are just the latest in a growing body of evidence suggesting cannabis’ efficacy for Alzheimer’s disease. Previous studies have found THC to be effective at lowering levels of amyloid-beta peptide, the hallmark characteristic and key contributor to the progression of Alzheimer’s disease. Long-term inflammation encourages the progression of Alzheimer’s disease, but cannabinoids have also shown to provide neuroprotective effects by helping stimulate the removal of amyloid-beta and blocking the inflammatory response.

https://news.medicalmarijuanainc.com/ca ... udy-finds/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic