How My Wife and I Launched Our Own Start-Up in Cambodia, While Teaching English

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

How My Wife and I Launched Our Own Start-Up in Cambodia, While Teaching English

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Our Biggest Event with 200+ people/Live Music/Documentary. Image: J.D. Money

J.D. Money
Feb 16

It was January 31st, 2015, I was 28 years old and had spent exactly three years in Cambodia working with small NGOs and teaching English on the side to have some extra money to invest in my own ideas. This is the story of how I, along with my now wife, were able to take an idea that we believed in and turn it into a reality.

" We were in a tuk-tuk (the best form of transportation for tropical areas if you ask me) heading east on Mao Tse Toung Boulevard when my wife said, “why are we waiting, let’s do it!” We were on our way to the Toul Tom Pong area of Phnom Pen (a new hot spot for expats) to check out a house for rent that could possibly serve as our new permanent location for our events."

"The year and a half prior to launching allowed me to understand how the expat community responded to different events, along with learning about the various channels for advertising. By the time we signed the contract, I had already been using a number of different websites to advertise the discussion topics and locations."

" Because Phnom Penh has foreigners coming and going monthly, it is quite easy to get a room filled. And because the house had two levels, we rented out the upstairs rooms for $250 each, leaving us with a $300/month rent fee for our one room, the guest area in the living room, and the patio for hosting events."

"All in all, I spent between $1,000-$1,500 for all the tables, chairs, and cushions. For the hostess stand and bar, we went to a local rattan shop and had them custom made for around $250. Finally, a close Cambodian friend of mine helped me take care of all the legal documents necessary to opening our own place, which cost around $500."

"After hustling and teaching part-time, January rolled around and we had to push back our first target date of the 1st. We decided to quit our part-time jobs (having some savings to fall back on) and go head first into making sure that we were ready to go full on the 31st. At this point, there was no turning back.."

Full
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How My Wife and I Launched Our Own Start-Up in Cambodia, While Teaching English

Post by John Bingham »

Good luck to them. I must check it out, I like that kind of food. I'm not sure what the situation with volunteers is though, like why would they need them?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How My Wife and I Launched Our Own Start-Up in Cambodia, While Teaching English

Post by Cinnamoncat »

I missed seeing what kind of food??
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The wife is Tunisian, it's North African/ Mediterranean shwarma, hummus etc.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

What's the name of the place? I've lived in that part of town for years and don't recognise it at all.
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Post by The Seawolf »

Have they opened a brothel?
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

andy_morris wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:09 am What's the name of the place? I've lived in that part of town for years and don't recognise it at all.
it's called Atlanta's Edge - trip advisor says it is closed https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... _Penh.html

it has two reviews from 2015 and his article was 2016 my guess it lasted a year or less despite some favourable coverage
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/new-space ... nt-talking

- a better organizer than businessman
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

makes ya wonder, why post an article about a place that is 3 years old??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:28 pm makes ya wonder, why post an article about a place that is 3 years old??
Because it gives those who might be considering doing the same an example of how it's done.

What with your back handed compliment comments this morning regarding my posts as well as your previous and continuing comments regarding them (and everything else you post), I've now come to the conclusion you're a complete know-it-all bore with little if anything positive to say about the world, life or CEO, Richard.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:34 pm I've now come to the conclusion you're a complete know-it-all bore with little if anything positive to say about the world, life or CEO, Richard.
That's a nice summation. As they say, don't pay him no mind, Hillbilly.

This guy is intractable and any protracted debate with him will only get you warned off or banned.

You're doing great...keep the articles coming. I read the one's that interest me and pass over the one's that don't. Shame we all can't behave as adults this way.

There have been some highly interesting finds in there that I otherwise would never have come across. So thanks again Hillbilly.

One suggestion though...I could use some more of your photography....don't go getting rusty on me. :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic