How My Wife and I Launched Our Own Start-Up in Cambodia, While Teaching English

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: How My Wife and I Launched Our Own Start-Up in Cambodia, While Teaching English

Post by Phnom Poon »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:34 pm Because it gives those who might be considering doing the same an example of how it's done.
Or not

monstra mihi bona!
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How My Wife and I Launched Our Own Start-Up in Cambodia, While Teaching English

Post by sigmoid »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:09 pm
andy_morris wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:09 am What's the name of the place? I've lived in that part of town for years and don't recognise it at all.
it's called Atlanta's Edge - trip advisor says it is closed https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... _Penh.html

it has two reviews from 2015 and his article was 2016 my guess it lasted a year or less despite some favourable coverage
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/new-space ... nt-talking

- a better organizer than businessman
Unfortunately, this seems to happen quite often with these small restaurants around the region. A lot of effort is put into opening them, they start off well, but then for some reason, probably a combination of them, the momentum is lost, regular customers stop returning, people see the place is empty and give it a miss, then the death spiral begins.

Anyway, for any start-up, you're supposed to do a heck of a lot of market research and develop a five-year plan.

Somehow, I get the feeling that this where things may have started to go wrong:

"If my memory serves me well, the last major purchase was the sound and video equipment. Thanks to Youtube and a detailed DIY video, I was able to hire a welder to build me a frame for a portable projector screen and have a picture shop create the white backdrop with a wooden frame. My friend, Matt, now in Texas, did me a huge favor by bringing me new projector which I purchased during Cyber Monday, thanks Matt. Finally, there was the sound board, speakers, mics, and other audio equipment to make sure that the place had high quality sound for the presentations, music, and documentaries. I’ve always enjoyed critiquing events, and quality sound is certainly one of those things that I feel should be at the top of the list, as far as the technical preparations. All in all, I believe we spent around $1,000 on the sound and video equipment."
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

sigmoid wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:11 pm
andy_morris wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:09 am What's the name of the place? I've lived in that part of town for years and don't recognise it at all.
it's called Atlanta's Edge - trip advisor says it is closed https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... _Penh.html

it has two reviews from 2015 and his article was 2016 my guess it lasted a year or less despite some favourable coverage

Unfortunately, this seems to happen quite often with these small restaurants around the region. A lot of effort is put into opening them, they start off well, but then for some reason, probably a combination of them, the momentum is lost, regular customers stop returning, people see the place is empty and give it a miss, then the death spiral begins.
90% of all restaurants fail no matter which country you're in. Bourdain said in his book it was a great way to lose money. Even the pros go down, like Jamie fat tongue Oliver.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

cptrelentless wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:44 pm
sigmoid wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:11 pm

90% of all restaurants fail no matter which country you're in. Bourdain said in his book it was a great way to lose money. Even the pros go down, like Jamie fat tongue Oliver.
Not forgetting that Bourdain chose his own way out too???
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic