Condos under $50k.

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Re: Condos under $50k.

Post by whatwat »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:24 pm Lets do some Math.
$500 psm gets you a decent quality build in Cambodia.
Prime PP land costs 5000 psm (less now of course but we'll use that),
You build a 25 storey block.
That reduces the land cost to 20 psm.
So a 35 sm studio (like the ones they want to sell for 50k) should be $18,200.
Maybe wait for the price to come down a bit more!
To build a 25 storey block needs a lot of up front capital and for that you get the rewards. If they sold them for that price no one would bother building them
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

whatwat wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:17 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:24 pm Lets do some Math.
$500 psm gets you a decent quality build in Cambodia.
Prime PP land costs 5000 psm (less now of course but we'll use that),
You build a 25 storey block.
That reduces the land cost to 20 psm.
So a 35 sm studio (like the ones they want to sell for 50k) should be $18,200.
Maybe wait for the price to come down a bit more!
To build a 25 storey block needs a lot of up front capital and for that you get the rewards. If they sold them for that price no one would bother building them
Yep.
But you can't wind back the clock.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

You are still far better off buying a flat in city center such as 7 Makara and renovating it. Bigger upside and you would enjoy a much larger and more convenient living space. Close to many major markets and still within walking distance to riverside.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Don't buy a place with elevators, hugely expensive to properly maintain so you know its not going to get done right
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Dunderhead wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:16 pm Don't buy a place with elevators, hugely expensive to properly maintain so you know its not going to get done right
Never thought of that! Could end up like timeshare units that have high maintenance charges and low demand. Negative prices!
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

canucklhead wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:06 pm You are still far better off buying a flat in city center such as 7 Makara and renovating it. Bigger upside and you would enjoy a much larger and more convenient living space. Close to many major markets and still within walking distance to riverside.
Can you name me some older affordable condominiums buildings with larger units in 7 Makara area cause online i only see super pricey units..It Still amazes me that for a third world country here with cheap labor and cheap building materials the condo prices are way above the average condo prices in the USA , Europe and or Thailand !
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Strawberryshake wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:55 pm
canucklhead wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:06 pm You are still far better off buying a flat in city center such as 7 Makara and renovating it. Bigger upside and you would enjoy a much larger and more convenient living space. Close to many major markets and still within walking distance to riverside.
Can you name me some older affordable condominiums buildings with larger units in 7 Makara area cause online i only see super pricey units..It Still amazes me that for a third world country here with cheap labor and cheap building materials the condo prices are way above the average condo prices in the USA , Europe and or Thailand !
I think he meant you should buy a non-condo. There's plenty of them for sale too, and they cost a lot less per sq m.

BTW, falling condo prices is also happening in the USA. This from a note put out yesterday by Neil Howe, author of The Fourth Turning,

The Covid-19 pandemic, interestingly, points to a very different future. Where have home prices and rents been rising fastest this summer? Big houses in the exurbs.

Where have they been sinking? Apartments and condos in the major cities, especially in such expensive and trend-setting downtowns as Manhattan, Boston, and San Francisco. These are places where no one thought prices would ever drop.

Among all the cultural creatives migrating away from these big cities with their laptops are millions of Millennial professionals. Many find themselves pleasantly surprised by how much nicer life is without the stress and commute and high cost.
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:09 pm
Strawberryshake wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:55 pm
I think he meant you should buy a non-condo. There's plenty of them for sale too, and they cost a lot less per sq m.

BTW, falling condo prices is also happening in the USA. This from a note put out yesterday by Neil Howe, author of The Fourth Turning,

The Covid-19 pandemic, interestingly, points to a very different future. Where have home prices and rents been rising fastest this summer? Big houses in the exurbs.

Where have they been sinking? Apartments and condos in the major cities, especially in such expensive and trend-setting downtowns as Manhattan, Boston, and San Francisco. These are places where no one thought prices would ever drop.

Among all the cultural creatives migrating away from these big cities with their laptops are millions of Millennial professionals. Many find themselves pleasantly surprised by how much nicer life is without the stress and commute and high cost.
Yes you’re right he said flats i misread that for condos. I‘am new to Cambodia so how can we own flats as a foreigner? What I heard is foreigners can only buy condos with strata title in ur own name. I expect the Cambodian property sales prices and the rents also to be going only downwards for the unforeseeable future.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Strawb take a look at khmer24.com website. Use the filters on the search for house for sale. Flats are listed as houses here.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Strawberryshake wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:34 am
Yes you’re right he said flats i misread that for condos. I‘am new to Cambodia so how can we own flats as a foreigner? What I heard is foreigners can only buy condos with strata title in ur own name. I expect the Cambodian property sales prices and the rents also to be going only downwards for the unforeseeable future.
It's tricky. The condo law was passed in 2009 and only covers buildings constructed since then. Condos have come down in price but they are still expensive compared to non-condos and the massive oversupply suggests the price deflation will accelerate.
To own a non-condo, you have to get Cambodian citizenship (now very expensive), or buy it in a Khmer person's name (risky) or form a company (little bit risky and expensive regular charges). You can get soft title to a non-condo that does not include the ground floor but this is risky as soft title is not ownership and in central PP it has become problematic for foreigners to acquire. These obstacles may increase in order to try to stimulate the flagging condo market.
I know a successful Khmer real estate investor and he is not buying in PP atm, he considers it overpriced in all areas, he is buying in the provinces but only land, paying around $1 psm (up to $5 in some cases).
With rents so reasonable atm, that is a great opportunity to avoid the stress of ownership. Buy gold and bitcoin!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic