Wat an Abode for a Slum.

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Wat an Abode for a Slum.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Image: Khmer Times

By Taing Rinith
July 12, 2019

As an abode for the monks, pagodas all over the country are highly respected, and Khmer people tend to be mindful about what they speak or do on their compound.

"Thus, it must be met with disbelief that a 100-year-old monastery, located in the heart of Phnom Penh, almost has its identity overshadowed by the people who built their houses all over this enclave."

"While monks in other pagodas walk through a big compound, filled with stupas and even decorative statues, monks at Broyouvong Pagoda have to pick their way past the peoples’ houses occupying all the land surrounding the temple. "

"Broyouvong Pagoda has only one kodi or monk’s shelter, which is a room atop a bathroom. It belongs to the abbot while the rest of the monks are ‘barricaded’ in a windowless basement underneath, with small rooms built."

"Sithi adds that there are roughly 500 households situated in the compound. While the authorities allow them to reside on the compound, they are not given the land in."

"Little is known of the history or origin of Broyouvong Pagoda. It was reportedly built at least one century ago by the royal family and was named after the Great Grandmother of the late King Norodom Sihanouk."

Full https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50623318/w ... or-a-slum/
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Wat an Abode for a Slum.

Post by epidemiks »

All 3 wats in Tonle Bassak appear in maps from 1886, iirc
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

epidemiks wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:15 pm All 3 wats in Tonle Bassak appear in maps from 1886, iirc
That's interesting, I knew Wat Svay Papay had been there a long time, but wasn't sure about Wat Thann and I'm not sure I've seen or ever even heard of this one. I knew Wat Koh was moved to its present location from by the river near Wat Phnom in the 1920s, and noticed Wat Langka was originally just a bit north of that on an old map. I believe Wat Moha Motrei and Wat Tuol Tom Pong are recent contructions too, built since the mid-50s. In contrast Wat Ounalom has been at that site since around the 15th century.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:53 pm
epidemiks wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:15 pm All 3 wats in Tonle Bassak appear in maps from 1886, iirc
That's interesting, I knew Wat Svay Papay had been there a long time, but wasn't sure about Wat Thann and I'm not sure I've seen or ever even heard of this one. I knew Wat Koh was moved to its present location from by the river near Wat Phnom in the 1920s, and noticed Wat Langka was originally just a bit north of that on an old map. I believe Wat Moha Motrei and Wat Tuol Tom Pong are recent contructions too, built since the mid-50s. In contrast Wat Ounalom has been at that site since around the 15th century.

Turns out the older maps show a Wat Takeo (which no longer exists) between Svay Popay and Thann, but no Brayouvong. The earliest I've got is 1901.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic