Hobbies and free time activities in Phnom Penh (aside from eating and drinking)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Hobbies and free time activities in Phnom Penh (aside from eating and drinking)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

HHH is on tomorrow...

Meet us every Sunday 2:15 PM at the Phnom Penh Railway station.
Truck departs from the railway station at 2:30PM!

Why Join?

To get out and see the places around Phnom Penh you haven't seen but always wondered about.

...to visit the Cambodian rural villages, meet Cambodian rural people and breath the beautiful, fresh rural air.

...to see the humungous, towering grey clouds casting gorgeous rainbows over the sun-drenched rice paddies.

...to laugh along with the Khmer kids as they come out to shout 'Hello' to all the crazy Barang runners.

...to have a cool down afterwards with a drink and a laugh and to sing songs as dusk approaches with a bunch of likeable but incredulous characters.

...and to get fit, of course. You don't have to run, you can just have a leisurely walk, or run half and walk half. Whatever you like ! Everybody’s welcome.

A fee of $5.00 for expats and $3 for Khmers is charged and it's $1 for children 16 and under. This fee includes all bottled water, cool drinks and beer.

Running distance is approximately 8km - 10km (Walking team 4 to 5 km). Usually we have a half way point for relaxing a few minutes or u can do the half-run and half walk!

We’re always happy to see new faces!
[For more, see their FB page.]
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: Hobbies and free time activities in Phnom Penh (aside from eating and drinking)

Post by siliconlife »

Not really a hobby, but when I had some free time in PP, I skipped town.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Since becoming a dad, (both directly and indirectly) the concept of spare time seems to have evaporated almost completely.

I used to play a lot of tennis in my off time in Europe. I had hoped that I might get back to tennis, or badminton, and introduce the family to it while in Cambodia. But for now, knock about badminton (where you just get in the way of everyone else on riverside) has become part of a daily ritual while walking the kids*.
Kids homework seems to take up an inordinate amount of time- teaching stuff that schools here don’t teach, such as using a pen or pencil, discipline**, and Un-teaching some of the more bizarre interpretations that pass for englie. About 1hour per school hour per child (thank the non-denominational deities for the 28hour day.)
I find that even doing any of my own ‘homework’ falls by the wayside during my less than regular time off at home.
I try to sneak out across the road to the Irish bar :beer2: for a beer or two, but both my doctor and my wallet*** are likely happier these days.
Watching the little fella grow up is enthralling, and good for passing time all too quickly. I highly recommend doing this, and doing so twenty something years earlier.
Anything that involves the local authorities for one hour seems to consume 3 to 5 days. Maybe when they put me in one of those wrap-around white jackets, I might take up origami.

*like a cross between walking dogs and herding cats. But maybe more costly as it often involves eating ice cream, or blood.
**reminds me- where I can I buy a decent cane, riding crop or cat’o’ninetails locally?
***for a short time, until we run out of nappies
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

"Cambodia is a land of water"
Find a way to get onto it as often as possible.
Pleasure and beauty aside, it will be good for your sanity.

River cruises are a bit of a yawn, you somehow feel more separated from the surroundings than you do on other boats.
Wherever the are small boats you can usually find one yourself.
A (very-) good tuk tuk driver or similar can help with the negotiations.
As with everything - be really clear on where you want to go, and make sure to match your expectations with the boatman's.

...and then just melt into the aquascape
Johnsuccess
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Johnsuccess »

Tennis anyone??
Pls whats app me at 855 76 368 6688.i am looking for good tennis practice partners in phnom penh area.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

@Freightdog The kids amusement park on Diamond Island nighttime is great.. Endless pleasure for the kids - cheap as chips too.. I was really surprised.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Mishmash wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:58 pm @Freightdog The kids amusement park on Diamond Island nighttime is great.. Endless pleasure for the kids - cheap as chips too.. I was really surprised.
We frequently go there at weekends. It’s a wonderful place- the other half was victim of a drive by motorcycle gang while she was pregnant.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:53 pm
Mishmash wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:58 pm @Freightdog The kids amusement park on Diamond Island nighttime is great.. Endless pleasure for the kids - cheap as chips too.. I was really surprised.
We frequently go there at weekends. It’s a wonderful place- the other half was victim of a drive by motorcycle gang while she was pregnant.
It's distressing to hear that. Terrible.

I sympathize with your feelings on this.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It’s not a bad place, but there are only a few ‘rides’ worth engaging in as an adult. The elder lad likes to brave the ship, until it starts swinging and going weightless.
It’s good for kids. I usually end up throwing darts at balloons.
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by MarkRobinson »

:dragonchase:
Skateboarding ,get your skills up ,get some " big - air " and you to could become a pro- skater🌀
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic