Phnom Penh poor uprooted as lakes filled in for malls, flats

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
andy_morris
Expatriate

Re: Phnom Penh poor uprooted as lakes filled in for malls, flats

Post by andy_morris »

clutchcargo wrote:
Continue with these sort of insensitive insults and you get a holiday.
The sense of humour bar seems to have been lowered somewhat in recent weeks.
Gone are the days where we may poke some fun at fellow expats, lest someone get offended. (notice the good humoured poster who I made the joke towards never batted an eyelid, only the mod thought it needed policing.)

It's a shame, but I suppose its the way most things are heading these days.

Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

andy_morris wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:33 pm
John Bingham wrote:I know the area very well. St 271 was actually shored up and turned into a major dike in the early 70s, as a defense against the Khmer Rouge. Beyond that was bandit country.....

Old-timey expats love spouting this kind of shit.
Not sure if he's old-time or just smart. In any case, I hope he keeps spouting.

It's a hell of a lot more interesting than baby skulls in crocodile mouths and loser expats who get picked up by immigration wearing the same pants they've had on for two long and smelly years. Not to mention one sock and a plastic bag.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

Cinnamoncat wrote:
andy_morris wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:33 pm
John Bingham wrote:I know the area very well. St 271 was actually shored up and turned into a major dike in the early 70s, as a defense against the Khmer Rouge. Beyond that was bandit country.....

Old-timey expats love spouting this kind of shit.
Not sure if he's old-time or just smart. In any case, I hope he keeps spouting.

It's a hell of a lot more interesting than baby skulls in crocodile mouths and loser expats who get picked up by immigration wearing the same pants they've had on for two long and smelly years. Not to mention one sock and a plastic bag.
He's old timey. As am I. Not sure about this clutch cargo fella, though. I think he may have arrived with the last wave of bearded SJWs riding cafe racers eating deconstructed pho out of a biodegradable sun hat.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, Mr. Cc! We are all part of the rich tapestry of life at CEO. I'm joking, of course. Your input is greatly appreciated. I hope you are compensated accordingly for your efforts. Remember that our diet is not just the food we ingest, but the data that constantly fills our view.

But yes, dykes and ditches are more interesting than plastic bags for shoes and that look of dispair seen on those who get marching orders for lack of funds and correct paperwork.

That baby skull must have been within the bounds of the crocodile a while as it was completely skinned free of all flesh.

Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Some things you can't "unsee," as has been noted here (and, in fact, was duly noted on the crocodile tale).

I didn't have a look at it, myself. I've shown some amazing restraint with avoiding such images, as I've seen so much I scarcely want to shut my eyes at night to go to sleep.

Anyway, you're all a good group, and it's good to come in and hang out, and try to peddle my book too!

andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

Cinnamoncat wrote:
I didn't have a look at it, myself. I've shown some amazing restraint with avoiding such images, as I've seen so much I scarcely want to shut my eyes at night to go to sleep.

I suppose we have to train ourselves not to be affected. Not to react.

That's not to say we become inhumane. More like we accept the reality as it is.

And this reality now, for 'us' as individuals, is also changing by the minute. We are changing by the minute. Billions of reactions taking place and changing us with every breath we take. On a cellular level, we are never the same from one second to the next.

The reality of impermanence. Everything changes.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Are you quoting my book, Andy?

andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

Cinnamoncat wrote:Are you quoting my book, Andy?
You have a book?
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

I thought you'd never ask!

Love and Loss in Cambodia: A Memoir

Doing very well. Top 100s in SE Asia, Thailand, History, Cambodia.

andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

Cinnamoncat wrote:Image

I thought you'd never ask!

Love and Loss in Cambodia: A Memoir

Doing very well. Top 100s in SE Asia, Thailand, History, Cambodia.
Maybe you could pay an advertising fee to CEO?
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Maybe the mods can do their jobs and keep it on topic like they do occasionally.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic