Thai women who marry Western men.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Thai women who marry Western men.

Post by ExPenhMan »

Isaanbarang wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:52 am :beer1:
ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:47 pm I believe PR is mostly right. The town is popularly believed to be Buriram, with a long history of supplying TGs to the BG industry. It's a long running joke. "Ah, don't tell me. She's from Buriram?" Cue laughter. Change scene to Vietnam. The western provinces of the Mekong Delta are Vietnam's Buriram. Etc.

I toured 10 of the 13 Isaan provinces by bus and train some 10 years ago and was instantly dissuaded of any idea of living there. Spent a week in Surin, hitting a popular restaurant several times for breakfast. The local foreigners were well lubricated by 11 am. A very sad tableau there and in nearby Buriram. Couldn't wait to return to Bangkok.

It was often very hard to tell what town you were in because they all look the same, all copy/paste towns, as one friend put it. Except Nakhon Phanom, which is quite pretty, looking as it does across the Mekong into Lao.
Followed this forum for a while but my first post, forgive me if I seem a little contrary but what a load of shit.
First there are 20 provinces in Isaan not 13 as the poster claims. Buriram is not a town, Buriram has a 32,000 seat football stadium and a motogp course that attracts 220,000 paying spectators each year. Try getting tickets, this year's event is sold out again. Burirum is not asome dusty, sleepy village that is inhabited by aging expats and their exbar girl wife's any more than PP is inhabited by aging expats and their pre pubescent gfs or meth headed. grifters.

The poster claims the expats of Surin are well lubricated in restaurants by 11 am. I have seen the same at GSM, therefor all expats in Cambodia are drunks.

The poster claims Isaan is boring, cut and paste town's that all look alike. In honesty can he really differentiate between Cambodian towns or is the dust and garbage that Cambodian towns are known for really pretty much the same from town to town.

The poster has not visited Isaan in 10 years perhaps things are different now, I know shitsville and PP certainly have and in my opinion not for the better.

The standing joke in Isaan about expats that live in Cambodia is they are too poor to meet Thai visa requirements, have serious drug problems or they diddle. Cue laughter.

However given the high number of posts on this forum whinging about being overcharged 10 cents, deaths by drug overdose or getting caught on top of a six year old girl perhaps the joke is the smugness of the posters who piss on Isaan.

Thank you for allowing me to join the forum, I am sure I will learn a lot on it but 90 % of this thread is utter shite and makes me think No Joke Howard was far more intelligent than the average CEO poster
You completely missed the key context of the discussion. The subject was the source of BGs, many of them coming from Buriram, by which I meant the province. That was 10 years ago. And yes, I mistakenly said 13 provinces. Thank you for the correction.

I'm not here to defend any place whether Cambodia, Thailand or Vietnam, each of which I resided in for several years. Most people know the good and bad of any place you'd care to name. To each his/her own.
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:29 pm
Isaanbarang wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:52 am :beer1:
ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:47 pm I believe PR is mostly right. The town is popularly believed to be Buriram, with a long history of supplying TGs to the BG industry. It's a long running joke. "Ah, don't tell me. She's from Buriram?" Cue laughter. Change scene to Vietnam. The western provinces of the Mekong Delta are Vietnam's Buriram. Etc.

I toured 10 of the 13 Isaan provinces by bus and train some 10 years ago and was instantly dissuaded of any idea of living there. Spent a week in Surin, hitting a popular restaurant several times for breakfast. The local foreigners were well lubricated by 11 am. A very sad tableau there and in nearby Buriram. Couldn't wait to return to Bangkok.

It was often very hard to tell what town you were in because they all look the same, all copy/paste towns, as one friend put it. Except Nakhon Phanom, which is quite pretty, looking as it does across the Mekong into Lao.
Followed this forum for a while but my first post, forgive me if I seem a little contrary but what a load of shit.
First there are 20 provinces in Isaan not 13 as the poster claims. Buriram is not a town, Buriram has a 32,000 seat football stadium and a motogp course that attracts 220,000 paying spectators each year. Try getting tickets, this year's event is sold out again. Burirum is not asome dusty, sleepy village that is inhabited by aging expats and their exbar girl wife's any more than PP is inhabited by aging expats and their pre pubescent gfs or meth headed. grifters.

The poster claims the expats of Surin are well lubricated in restaurants by 11 am. I have seen the same at GSM, therefor all expats in Cambodia are drunks.

The poster claims Isaan is boring, cut and paste town's that all look alike. In honesty can he really differentiate between Cambodian towns or is the dust and garbage that Cambodian towns are known for really pretty much the same from town to town.

The poster has not visited Isaan in 10 years perhaps things are different now, I know shitsville and PP certainly have and in my opinion not for the better.

The standing joke in Isaan about expats that live in Cambodia is they are too poor to meet Thai visa requirements, have serious drug problems or they diddle. Cue laughter.

However given the high number of posts on this forum whinging about being overcharged 10 cents, deaths by drug overdose or getting caught on top of a six year old girl perhaps the joke is the smugness of the posters who piss on Isaan.

Thank you for allowing me to join the forum, I am sure I will learn a lot on it but 90 % of this thread is utter shite and makes me think No Joke Howard was far more intelligent than the average CEO poster
You completely missed the key context of the discussion. The subject was the source of BGs, many of them coming from Buriram, by which I meant the province. That was 10 years ago. And yes, I mistakenly said 13 provinces. Thank you for the correction.

I'm not here to defend any place whether Cambodia, Thailand or Vietnam, each of which I resided in for several years. Most people know the good and bad of any place you'd care to name. To each his/her own.
And you sir completely missed the title of the post Thai women married to western men. How you were able to twist that into Burirum being the source of bargirls speaks volumes of what your purpose in Asia is unless of course you were suggesting Burirum is the mythical village that PhuketRichard spoke of. To each his own as you suggest, I can live with your stereotype of Buriram expats and Isaan women that you claim to be true@ as no doubt you are aware of the stereotype of what kind of monger chooses Cambodia as his hunting ground. Live by the stereotype, die by the stereotype.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Burirum is the mythical village that PhuketRichard spoke of.
Let me state for all
1. Buriram is NOT a village by a long shot, but a big modern city with a world class race track, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang_Int ... al_Circuit . I was up there for the 2nd world superbike event and it was fantastic and hotels were sold out for 100's of kms around
2. It is NOT the village i was speaking of
3. Issan does indeed provide the majority of girls for the bars, there are no real stats I can quote, but i am sure 90% of anyone that has taken a girl out of a bar will agree.
4. Many of the girls that are from Issan and end up married back in Issan, worked at a bar
5. Issan is nice for a visit but it is boring and if you dont speak any thai... even more boring :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:54 pm Image
Photo: AfP
Couldn't get beyond the pic.
Mrs. Merton (edited) wrote:What first attracted you to the unattractive man with a net worth 1,000 times your own?
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I've visited the major footballing towns/cities in Isaan every year the last few years and on the basis of the expats and their partners I've met I think there is a bit too much stereotyping going on in this thread. Times have moved on and places like Buriram, Korat, Khon Kaen and Ubon Ratchathani have and are developing making them more liveable for expats who haven't necessarily been drawn there by relationships forged in tourist holiday resorts. Just as an example I've got 3 good friends living in different places in Isaan and 2 of their relationships don't fit the stereotype, 1 met his wife working in the office side of one of the top golf courses up there and the other's wife has a decent job in a government office in a smallish town outside one of the main cities. Through them and their social circle and talking football with local expats in the main bars, I've met enough of a range of couples to see there is a bit more to it than the old cliches. Who cares anyway, the people I've met seem to be pretty content with life in Isaan and I have to say it always strikes me how friendly and relaxed the locals and expats are in that part of the country.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:01 pm
Burirum is the mythical village that PhuketRichard spoke of.
Let me state for all
1. Buriram is NOT a village by a long shot, but a big modern city with a world class race track, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang_Int ... al_Circuit . I was up there for the 2nd world superbike event and it was fantastic and hotels were sold out for 100's of kms around
2. It is NOT the village i was speaking of
3. Issan does indeed provide the majority of girls for the bars, there are no real stats I can quote, but i am sure 90% of anyone that has taken a girl out of a bar will agree.
4. Many of the girls that are from Issan and end up married back in Issan, worked at a bar
5. Issan is nice for a visit but it is boring and if you dont speak any thai... even more boring :beer3:
Thank you for the response to your claim of a mythical village.
1 very true.
2 is it your intention to share with the forum the name of the village you claim exists or should fellow forum members submit names and you deny that the name submitted is the name you have in your mind?
3 the thread title is Thai women who marry Western men. Are you suggesting only exbar girls marry Weatern men? Is it that your ex wife from Isaan (the birthplace of the majority of bar girls) worked at a bar and now has returned to Isaan as you claim to be the standard operating procedure? I am at a loss as how the etymology or life cycle of the hooker is relevant to the subgect the OP presented.
4 True, many people of all occupations return to their roots, others including bar girls stay in the 4 main sex for payment centre's of Thailand, Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai.
5 Entirely subjective, I find vanilla ice cream boring but it is the number 1 selling flavor in the world.

As all of us are shaped by our experiences, we may not be aware how these experiences have skewed our perceptions. Certainly I can understand how a failed marriage to a bar girl would make one bitter if that is your experience. I have attached a number of studies of Thai/Farang marriages that are based on actual imperial evidence from a number of sources.

Transnational Relationships, Farang Isan Couples, and Rural Transformations by Eric C. Thompson National University of Singapore

New trend of young educated Thai women with Farang husbands
http//pratchai.com/english/node/5352

Isaan Love Triangle
www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2017/11 ... ing-women/

Examing the Ambiguous Allure of the Farang
By Christine Wester University of Amsterdam
www.scriptiesonline.uba.uva.nl/document/639958
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

in my very limited experience thai bar girls mostly claimed to come from isaan or (the rougher ones) burinam

monstra mihi bona!
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:27 pm in my very limited experience thai bar girls mostly claimed to come from isaan or (the rougher ones) burinam
In my very, very limited experience with sexpats most claim to have limited experience with bargirls. Bargirls also would suggest over the age of 18.
How your limited experiences is relevant to marriage between Thai females and white males is mystifying, bait away.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Isaanbarang wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:28 pm
Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:27 pm in my very limited experience thai bar girls mostly claimed to come from isaan or (the rougher ones) burinam
In my very, very limited experience with sexpats most claim to have limited experience with bargirls. Bargirls also would suggest over the age of 18.
How your limited experiences is relevant to marriage between Thai females and white males is mystifying, bait away.
if a "sexpat" is not having experience with bar girls, how why would he be classified a "sexpat" ?

or is a freelancer NOT considered a bargirl?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:30 am
Isaanbarang wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:28 pm
if a "sexpat" is not having experience with bar girls, how why would he be classified a "sexpat" ?

or is a freelancer NOT considered a bargirl?

[Mod edit: You're a new member but trolling with this post. Please tone it down and keep it civil. We don't want a slanging match here]
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic