A new Khmer440 member the Venerable Nanda

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A new K440 member the Venerable Nanda

Post by Joon »

Well, LTO's analogy can also be reversed. Aren't there religious fundamentalists who believe that their sick children must not be treated by medicine but that healing will come from God?
(As I stated many times before, I am very ignorant about religions, so please forgive me if what I'm talking about above is very ignorant.)

EDIT: totally random, but I find it amusing how both threads here and there over the same person has gone tangentially towards a discussion about religions. :)
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

Joon wrote:Well, LTO's analogy can also be reversed. Aren't there religious fundamentalists who believe that their sick children must not be treated by medicine but that healing will come from God?
(As I stated many times before, I am very ignorant about religions, so please forgive me if what I'm talking about above is very ignorant.)

EDIT: totally random, but I find it amusing how both threads here and there over the same person has gone tangentially towards a discussion about religions. :)
That tends to be the followings of splinter groups, from the teachings of the main religion but also a good observation.
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Joon wrote:EDIT: totally random, but I find it amusing how both threads here and there over the same person has gone tangentially towards a discussion about religions. :)
tangentially?

Do you see no religious connotations in the thread title? :whip:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Joon wrote:Spread the word or indoctrinate?
I'm looking to engage with you, not turn you away Joon - and that's pretty thin.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

LTO wrote:I'm not a Christian, don't really like evangelical types, and generally lean your side here, but if I actually believed that I know some vital, life-saving truth that you don't, whether that truth be something like 'you are unknowingly eating a poisonous substance,' 'you are about to step off a cliff that you didn't notice, ' or 'you a behaving in a way that will damn your eternal soul to Hell', I would see it as my duty and responsibility to inform you of the danger and disabuse you of beliefs that might lead you continue these self-harming practices/actions. As you approached that cliff edge, strolling gleeful unaware of your impending doom, or perhaps even deluded enough to believe your are not in peril, I would be morally remiss, even culpable, if I failed to warn you and/or try to stop you.
Nicely put LTO.

This is (roughly) my belief - combined with I don't have the right to force or coerce someone to believe as I do (including and especially people who are disadvantaged to me), other than stating what I believe and discussing further if asked. Beyond that, if the way I'm living it is not how I'm telling it, I shouldn't be telling it.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

StroppyChops wrote:
I'm looking to engage with you, not turn you away Joon - and that's pretty thin.
What gives? That was addressed to LTO specifically as he claimed that me not accepting that Christians were mandated by the Bible to "spread the word" was me being against Christian practice.
So this was to ask clarification from LTO.
I don't know why you felt it was addressed to you.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Joon wrote:Aren't there religious fundamentalists who believe that their sick children must not be treated by medicine but that healing will come from God?
Yes, and the Crusaders killed thousands in the name of God, too, so let's discredit faiths because of a few nutjobs or events that happened hundreds of years ago that have zero relevance today. I know you were (possibly) genuine, but either of these arguments shows no real interest to engage in the debate.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Joon wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
What gives? That was addressed to LTO specifically as he claimed that me not accepting that Christians were mandated by the Bible to "spread the word" was me being against Christian practice.
So this was to ask clarification from LTO.
I don't know why you felt it was addressed to you.
You're right, apologies. I misread the flow of conversation. Post 107 is for you though ... thoughts?
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

StroppyChops wrote:
Joon wrote:Aren't there religious fundamentalists who believe that their sick children must not be treated by medicine but that healing will come from God?
Yes, and the Crusaders killed thousands in the name of God, too, so let's discredit faiths because of a few nutjobs or events that happened hundreds of years ago that have zero relevance today. I know you were (possibly) genuine, but either of these arguments shows no real interest to engage in the debate.
Again, this is to read in conjunction with LTO's following argument:
As you approached that cliff edge, strolling gleeful unaware of your impending doom, or perhaps even deluded enough to believe your are not in peril, I would be morally remiss, even culpable, if I failed to warn you and/or try to stop you.
Which I read, correctly or incorrectly, as drawing a parallel duty felt by Christians to "spread the word."

So in reverse, wouldn't it be the same duty to try and convince parents who refuse to treat their children because of their faith that they are wrong? But at the same time, this would be seen as denying their right to their religious faith?
This is the same reasoning I would hold too for practice of excision in certain Muslim faiths.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic