Costs in Myanmar

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Costs in Myanmar

Post by bittermelon »

Interested to hear from anyone who has travelled there- how do you find it cost wise? I had always heard (I think) that it was significantly dearer but from what I can tell looking at Agoda, numbeo and looking at train fares it doesn't seem too bad.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: Costs in Myanmar

Post by siliconlife »

bittermelon wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:25 pm Interested to hear from anyone who has travelled there- how do you find it cost wise? I had always heard (I think) that it was significantly dearer but from what I can tell looking at Agoda, numbeo and looking at train fares it doesn't seem too bad.
Only accommodation is expensive, the cheapest room I could find was $15 in Bagan, $20 in Yangon. Great food is cheap (999 Shan Noodle House in Yangon is a must), and transportation very reasonable. Overall its a low-cost country to travel in. This was in '16 but from what I've heard it hasn't changed too much
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Nothing is expensive, made 7 trips between 2014-2017
Have traveled from the far north, ( Khmati) to the very south (Kwathoung) by plane, train, boat, bus an motorcycle
Most I paid was $75 for a fantastic resort in Mogok,( would have been $200 in Phuket or Siem Reap) to a low of $4
Average double room, air, cable, nice bathroom with breakfast $25-30 and that includes accommodations in 3 of the big 4,( Bagan, Mandalay,Inle lake) with budget hostels in the big 4 running as cheap as $8/night
food average $1.50-5.00/meal
Large ( excellent) Mandalay beer$1.50-2.00
Trains are very cheap Bagan-Mandalay, 6 hours $2.80 upper class, $24 for a sleeper Mandalay- Myitkyina, 22 hours
and long distance air con sleeper bus runs under $20 Inle-Yangon, regular air con Magwe- Mrauk-u $7, 12 hours
Flights Mandalay-Khmati $78 in a 18 seater prop plane

Got any questions? PM me
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:34 pm Nothing is expensive, made 7 trips between 2014-2017
Have traveled from the far north, ( Khmati) to the very south (Kwathoung) by plane, train, boat, bus an motorcycle
Most I paid was $75 for a fantastic resort in Mogok,( would have been $200 in Phuket or Siem Reap) to a low of $4
Average double room, air, cable, nice bathroom with breakfast $25-30 and that includes accommodations in 3 of the big 4,( Bagan, Mandalay,Inle lake) with budget hostels in the big 4 running as cheap as $8/night
Trains are very cheap Bagan-Mandalay, 6 hours $2.80 upper class, $24 for a sleeper Mandalay- Myitkyina, 22 hours
and long distance air con sleeper bus runs under $20 Inle-Yangon, regular air con Magwe- Mrauk-u $7, 12 hours

Got any questions? PM me
No don't PM him post it here instead as others are also interested :thumb:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Yobbo wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:34 pm Nothing is expensive, made 7 trips between 2014-2017

Got any questions? PM me
No don't PM him post it here instead as others are also interested :thumb:
Yea, but if i post to much or say how nice it is, I get attacked for posting things NOT Cambodian here.... :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:14 pm
Yobbo wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:34 pm

Got any questions? PM me
No don't PM him, post it here instead as others are also interested :thumb:
Yea, but if i post to much or say how nice it is, I get attacked for posting things NOT Cambodian here.... :beer3:
Don't be so sensitive Richard, I have always liked your posts on Myanmar & it's in the Rest of the world category. I want to hit there myself at some stage!
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Thanks very much for the useful information @siliconlife and @phuketrichard . Really looking forward to checking it out.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

I lived/worked in Myanmar until late last year. I used to visit Inle Lake many times. I stayed right in the centre of Nyaung Schwe town, backing onto the lake canal. My simple but clean room cost $6 a night in high season.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Prices have come down a lot. I first went 10 or 11 years ago and hotel rooms were exorbitant. Many places now have an oversupply of rooms and room rates have come down a lot. Still more expensive than neighbouring countries I feel but much better than it was.

Most of the food is shite and way overpriced for what it is, unless you are a fan of curries floating in oil. I have visited maybe 15 times since and tend to stick to Shan food.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

^^ Interesting tho hear that @hanno i guess that explains my perception that it was more expensive.How bad are those curries? Guess I'll have to find out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic