Costs in Myanmar

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Costs in Myanmar

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:35 pm Didn't know any of the rivers went that far north- east, at least not on any maps i have.
Last bit was by speedboat up Mai Kha (sp.?) river, which takes you within spitting distance of China.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

I like to avoid flying where I can so will go overland from Bangkok (if this is possible? I haven't even consulted a guide book yet). Plan to get visa in Bangkok. Trying to decide whether to take my push-bike, seems most trains can take them. Bit of a trade-off, can be a hassle but its great to be able to bike instead of walk in this heat and get a little further off the main track. Or if they have shops with decent 2nd hand mountain bikes from Japan like they do here perhaps i could pick one up there.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Get ur visa online; https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/

This site has great info...https://www.go-myanmar.com/

Travel up to Mae Sot, stay the night and cross there early and head to Hip-an by shared taxi, spend a few days than make ur way north to Golden rock, Yangon an decide where to from there.

Friend of mine does bicycle tours out of Yangon but not sure he will rent one. https://www.uncharted-horizons-myanmar.com/

I have traveled lots over SE asia by bicycle and agree having one is nice . Spent over 18 months touring back in the 80's
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

^^Must've been amazing biking back then. I expect the traffic, even in the capital, isn't as bad as Phnom Penh?- which I'm sure I've seen people mention here, seems noticeably worse than last year
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

bittermelon wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:02 am ^^Must've been amazing biking back then. I expect the traffic, even in the capital, isn't as bad as Phnom Penh?- which I'm sure I've seen people mention here, seems noticeably worse than last year

About 4-5 years ago, Yangon got flooded with cheap Japanese cars and the traffic is atrocious now. A friend of mine quit her job because she couldn't handle the traffic jams anymore.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic