Costs in Myanmar

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Costs in Myanmar

Post by hanno »

bittermelon wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:22 am ^^ Interesting tho hear that @hanno i guess that explains my perception that it was more expensive.How bad are those curries? Guess I'll have to find out.
Pretty bad but then I have an aversion to (too much) oil.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hanno wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:46 pm
bittermelon wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:22 am ^^ Interesting tho hear that @hanno i guess that explains my perception that it was more expensive.How bad are those curries? Guess I'll have to find out.
I love the curry dishes and think there great in Burma.
you get a small plate of chicken or fish in curry sauce, scrap off the oil on top
and you have 5-10 other dishes, a couple of soups along with it and as much rice as you can eat .
seldom more than $3.00

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Each to their own but, as much as I like the country and people, I consider the food to be the worst in mainland SE Asia.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

I visited twice in the mid 90´s I remember eating very nice « Byriani » dishes (same as fried rice but oven cooked in terracotta).
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:28 pm
hanno wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:46 pm
I love the curry dishes and think there great in Burma.
you get a small plate of chicken or fish in curry sauce, scrap off the oil on top
and you have 5-10 other dishes, a couple of soups along with it and as much rice as you can eat .
seldom more than $3.00

Nice 1, I think that has tipped me into definitely going over for a look. Not that food is everything but it does make a difference. Part of the reason I haven't been to the Philippines yet. I'm thinking of spending a week travelling by train and seeing some temples and another week staying put somewhere- I find I get more of a "feel" for a place that way. Anywhere you would recommend for that, any good spots for snorkelling?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

go, its a fantastic country, Everywhere beside eating the local curries you can get fried noodles an fried rice,( often less than $2.00) and Chinese food.
https://phuket.zenfolio.com/f125862719
.... any good spots for snorkelling?
Best place is $$$$$, Burma banks and the area way off of Myeik, Kwathoung. Best is to visit on an expensive live aboard out of Thailand.

A week is not enough to see more than 2 places. With 2 weeks you could fly into Mandalay, travel by train to Hsipaw an back, than down to Bagan by boat an than on to Yangon by train
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Mandalay was the biggest disappointment for me. The old city actually got burned down at the end of WWll and what you see now is a garish replica. The rest of the town was a dirty shit-hole though I had some very good Shan food.

Began is a must and I really like Inle lake too.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

we really seem to be at opposites on Burma
I love Mandalay, love wandering the streets, the jade market in the early morn, out to the ancient cites, beer in the late afternoon on the river, Sunsets from Mandalay hill. Great Shan street food on 82 streetand nice bakeries as well
so much to see and do..

Didn't care for Inle lake, was nice in the 80-90's but last time I went in 2017 hated it, the lake is impressive,(even if the boat tour stops at so many places to try and make you buy something) but the town of Nyaunngshwe is like Khao san road an the most touristy place in the country. ONLY place have seen happy hours, markets selling tourist crap and so many backpackers in such a small area.

For me the best spots were traveling down the Chindwin river ,Motorcycling thru the Chin state and going by trains,bus's and boats from Yangon to Kwathoung.

Hip-an is a cool small town as well
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:02 pm we really seem to be at opposites on Burma
I love Mandalay, love wandering the streets, the jade market in the early morn, out to the ancient cites, beer in the late afternoon on the river, Sunsets from Mandalay hill. Great Shan street food on 82 streetand nice bakeries as well
so much to see and do..

Didn't care for Inle lake, was nice in the 80-90's but last time I went in 2017 hated it, the lake is impressive,(even if the boat tour stops at so many places to try and make you buy something) but the town of Nyaunngshwe is like Khao san road an the most touristy place in the country. ONLY place have seen happy hours, markets selling tourist crap and so many backpackers in such a small area.

For me the best spots were traveling down the Chindwin river ,Motorcycling thru the Chin state and going by trains,bus's and boats from Yangon to Kwathoung.

Hip-an is a cool small town as well
Never stayed in Nyaunngshwe but yes, it looks dire. I usually spring for some of the plush resorts and avoid the floating market, which has now become a tourist trap. Great for bird watching and I Samgkar is very nice. Best trip I had was on the Pandaw. Two weeks cruise all the way to the Chinese border.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

we travel differently, for sure LOL
Pandaw is WAY out of my price range..

Didn't know any of the rivers went that far north- east, at least not on any maps i have

I started in Khamti for the Chindwin and Myitkyina, ( well, had to fly from My to Bhamo as that part of the river is closed to tourists cause it in areas they are still fighting) for the Irrawaddy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic