Shipping personal effects from Europe to Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Shipping personal effects from Europe to Cambodia

Post by Chad Sexington »

Do any members have experience of, or can give advice, regarding the Shipping of some personal effects from Europe to Cambodia. I'm considering shipping some smaller items such a fishing equipment, hobby gear such as hand tools etc' (no furniture) in a 2 cubic metre Shipping crate. What are the logistics as far as importing personal effects? I'm thinking in terms of customs and taxes etc'.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Shipping personal effects from Europe to Cambodia

Post by explorer »

If it was me, I would only bring what I can bring on a plane, and buy the other things new here. Particularly when you can bring more next year.

It depends on the value of the items. In some cases it may be cheaper to buy new things here.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

unaccompanied baggage is pretty good if you can make a separate trip to the airport- or send a few days in advance and collect when you arrive.
Call your airline that you are ticketed with.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Thanks for the advice guys, but I should maybe have been a little more specific. These are possessions with some sentimental value that I would like to hang on to, I can get them shipped in a crate to Cambodia (taking up to 50 days) for what I consider a reasonable cost (at least a cost I'm prepared to take the hit for), I'm more interested in the procedure once the crate arrives, bureaucracy and costs/taxes.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

What will happen when you return to the UK?

Some people plan to stay in Cambodia, but as they get older, develop medical conditions, and return to their home country for treatment.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:39 am Thanks for the advice guys, but I should maybe have been a little more specific. These are possessions with some sentimental value that I would like to hang on to, I can get them shipped in a crate to Cambodia (taking up to 50 days) for what I consider a reasonable cost (at least a cost I'm prepared to take the hit for), I'm more interested in the procedure once the crate arrives, bureaucracy and costs/taxes.
The taxation will depend on the content.While the shipping is probably relatively cheap for a small crate I think the handling and taxation will be relatively steep - same for the transport of the crate within the Kingdom.

[edit]
What will make it expensive is not just the tax (10% flat VAT + 0-35% import duties based on the content), but also the fact you can't handle the import by yourself. Only registered parties (agents) can do this for you, adding to the cost.
[/edit]
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

I typically buy extra baggage and use hockey bags to pack. Also likely to have less attention from customs (taxes and risk of pilferage) if its with you when you bring it in. I don't know europe to cambodia, but Canada to Singapore it was around USD$90 / bag I believe.

But I don't have a good sense of the size you mentioned but from the items mentioned this seems like it may be feasible.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Thanks again for the advice folks, my question now is, does anyone know of an agent in Cambodia who could handle this arrangement for me?
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

CamExpat wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:14 am I typically buy extra baggage and use hockey bags to pack. Also likely to have less attention from customs (taxes and risk of pilferage) if its with you when you bring it in. I don't know europe to cambodia, but Canada to Singapore it was around USD$90 / bag I believe.

But I don't have a good sense of the size you mentioned but from the items mentioned this seems like it may be feasible.
Kindly tell me what a hockey bag is, please.
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

Very large, very strong duffel bag used by hockey players to carry around their hockey sports gear. The large ones have 2x the size of a large suitcase.

Because they commonly pack skates and hockey gear is pretty close to body armor, they are usually re-enforced with double lining. Some contain wheels and hard bottoms.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic