Is there a market for bodyguards in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Is there a market for bodyguards in Cambodia?

Post by Nixon »

I have a nephew (special forces - navy) who wants to know if there is a market for private security in Cambodia. I reckon there is as a lot of money are floating around. However, I am hardly an expert on Cambodia so I thought I’d ask CEO.

Any thoughts?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is there a market for bodyguards in Cambodia?

Post by John Bingham »

There have been plenty of foreign private security firms here over the years, some legit and some sketchy. However they are not encouraged anymore, there is only room for one type of bodyguard here and they have to be locals. It's a good place to base yourself but not to get involved.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

@John Bingham are North Korean body guards still in use? Or did that go away with the King Father?
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

If he’s ex SEAL (what else is there in the navy) he should already have shit loads of contacts and know the market is as dry as a camels arse.
He certainly wouldn’t ask someone else to do his s outing.

You or him are Walter Mitty.

Go to Pattaya.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Brody wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:52 pm @John Bingham are North Korean body guards still in use? Or did that go away with the King Father?
Not as far as I know. The King Father had a good relationship with Kim Il-sung, they were part of that non-aligned movement and became good friends early on. As you probably know Sihanouk was provided with a big palace in Pyongyang after his ousting in 1970. Sihanouk later donated the house he was born and raised in to the North Koreans as an embassy, the same building that stands to the east of the PM's city residence to this day. There have been some controversies about rent owed etc. Anyway, Kim Il-sung died in 1994, just after Sihanouk became King again. His successor, his son Kim Jong-il, did not have such a great relationship with Sihanouk and although the bodyguards were still in place till Sihanouk's death I believe they are now defunct. I'm just going off the top of my head here though, perhaps I'm wrong. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Please send me a photo of him in uniform so I can evaluate my security requirements.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

the foreign trigger happy mercenaries cycle has come down a long way from the heady days of million dollar yearly salaries & shooting up whatever they want with impunity :assasin: :assasin: :assasin: :assasin: :assasin: :assasin: :assasin: :assasin: :assasin:
thru shit to more shit
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Nixon »

With regards to the replies - I will clarify.

It is a general question, not “looking for a job”.

The topic came up in a discussion and as I have no idea if there is a market or not I asked the question in the forum.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

There is very little. It’s a taken care of “in house” although there are some western advisors but they’ve been here for a long time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic