“It’s your fault!” – Domestic abuse study in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: “It’s your fault!” – Domestic abuse study in Cambodia

Post by atst »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:42 pm
atst wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:28 pm
fax wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:00 pm
atst wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:59 pm Nobody asks the question what drives a normal kind loving man to strike out in the attempt to get away when cornered and cannot excape
What? It sounds like you could tell us.
There's always two sides to every story have you never had an argument with wife/ girlfriend everyone s tolerance level is different
When you have children sometimes they do things that test your tolerance level also it's all part of being a good father/husband
I'm not condoning it but it doesn't happen for no reason
Quite often it is due to alcohol or drug use, archaic cultural stereotypes of a woman's place, and normalization of violence towards women and children in this country, if those are adequate "reasons" for you then I pity your poor wife
Not very nice attacking me read again what I said I don't condone it
There's plenty of Aussie guys living with there mum's after losing everything to a cheating lying wife that never Lost it and stuck their wives
I bet if it was a guy that did the same to you you'll be quick to punch him
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

atst wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:52 pm
atst wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:59 pm Nobody asks the question what drives a normal kind loving man to strike out in the attempt to get away when cornered and cannot excape
There's always two sides to every story have you never had an argument with wife/ girlfriend everyone s tolerance level is different
When you have children sometimes they do things that test your tolerance level also it's all part of being a good father/husband
Quite often it is due to alcohol or drug use, archaic cultural stereotypes of a woman's place, and normalization of violence towards women and children in this country, if those are adequate "reasons" for you then I pity your poor wife
There's plenty of Aussie guys living with there mum's after losing everything to a cheating lying wife that never Lost it and stuck their wives
Who's attacking you? I posited the most common reasons for DV in this country youve projected that this is all about Aussie guys Who lost everything the article is about Cambodians and DV. You instantly pipe in saying a man must be provoked to do it, I as I say explained the reasons why it happens here, Cambodia not Australia, not to Australian men. I signed off by suggesting if you felt that the reasons I gave were acceptable or adequate reasons then I'd pity any woman with you. If you're saying you don't think these a good reason to assault a woman or child then no need to get offended.

Quite what the hell a man doing it to me has anything to do with it I don't know. This is about DOMESTIC VIOLENCE in cambodia. Usually committed by men against women and as the usual main income generator the woman is often trapped. So sure if I were somehow jobless living with a Khmer man and he beat me every day maybe I'd hit him back maybe I wouldn't.

You clearly know a few bums Who have excused this kind of behavior in the past as being "provoked"
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

The topic is about violence against Khmer women by Khmer men, you don't condone it, but find a way to justify it and then bring Aussie men into it, here is an interesting statistic for you. 1 in 3 Australian women have experienced at least one incident of violence from a current or former partner since the age of 15. surely you are not suggesting that 1 in 3 Australian women is a liar and a cheater are you?

Now back on topic and no justification please, as a man that hits a woman deserves no pity, over 30% ( approximately 1 in 3 ) Cambodian women had experienced physical, sexual, emotional or economic intimate partner violence experience in her lifetime. Surely you would not suggest that 1 in 3 Cambodian women is a liar and a cheater would you? If you did, it would certainly make it uncomfortable when you go out for a drink with three of your top bloke married Australian friends.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Again I state it's not acceptable for any man or woman to hit thier parter
But I know from experience that some women I'm not saying all take advantage of the laws and falsely accused there partner of domestic violence
FACT
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

There's another thread about domistic violence with no evidence so far
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

Yes, domestic violence is a problem, but much of it is exaggerated. This is not my opinion, it's based on 20 years of law enforcement experience in California followed by 10 years as a lawyer representing police officers in matters related to their employment. Many of these clients were accused of DV and it was a double disaster for them since a conviction could result in the loss of their ability to possess a weapon and end their careers. Amazing how fast the cases fell apart when the wife was put on the witness stand.

Fake claims of DV were extremely common in divorces during which child custody was at issue, and while it might surprise some people, female judges were actually harder on women making these claims than male judges. That poor helpless manipulative female act does not work well on women judges.

The worst one had to be the woman who got facial cosmetic surgery to fix her baggy eyelids and add a chin. This woman told anyone that would listen that the reason for her facial trauma was that her husband had beaten her. When she made this claim at her children's school, they notified children's protective services and the husband was arrested, totally blind to why it was happening. He spent 5 days in custody before I got a subpoena served on the plastic surgeon. After a phone conversation between the DA and the doctor he was released, and the case was dropped entirely when they got the medical file and the date of the claimed beating matched the date of the surgery.

That's how wicked some women can be, and they often plan divorces months before the man even knows something is wrong.

Finally, and I cannot resist, if [Admin Edit: No need for senseless comments. Thanks.]
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

atst wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:07 pm Again I state it's not acceptable for any man or woman to hit thier parter
But I know from experience that some women I'm not saying all take advantage of the laws and falsely accused there partner of domestic violence
FACT
Do some people lie? Well, that was news to me, I thought the whole world was truthful. As to there being another thread about domestic violence that did not provide you with enough evidence to be convinced, there was enough evidence for the police to refer the couple to "re-education" and made them both agree to stop the violence in the family, oddly it is the police, not you that gets to make the determination.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Robins wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:27 pm Yes, domestic violence is a problem, but much of it is exaggerated. This is not my opinion, it's based on 20 years of law enforcement experience in California followed by 10 years as a lawyer representing police officers in matters related to their employment. Many of these clients were accused of DV and it was a double disaster for them since a conviction could result in the loss of their ability to possess a weapon and end their careers. Amazing how fast the cases fell apart when the wife was put on the witness stand.

Fake claims of DV were extremely common in divorces during which child custody was at issue, and while it might surprise some people, female judges were actually harder on women making these claims than male judges. That poor helpless manipulative female act does not work well on women judges.

The worst one had to be the woman who got facial cosmetic surgery to fix her baggy eyelids and add a chin. This woman told anyone that would listen that the reason for her facial trauma was that her husband had beaten her. When she made this claim at her children's school, they notified children's protective services and the husband was arrested, totally blind to why it was happening. He spent 5 days in custody before I got a subpoena served on the plastic surgeon. After a phone conversation between the DA and the doctor he was released, and the case was dropped entirely when they got the medical file and the date of the claimed beating matched the date of the surgery.

That's how wicked some women can be, and they often plan divorces months before the man even knows something is wrong.

Finally, and I cannot resist, if some women knew when to STFU, there would be far fewer incidents
. For some reason, they have to get in the last word.
Same with those damned unarmed coloured boys, if they just shut up cops wouldn' t have to kill so many of them. Thank God one needs an education to be a cop now
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:07 pm

The topic is about violence against Khmer women by Khmer men, you don't condone it, but find a way to justify it and then bring Aussie men into it, here is an interesting statistic for you. 1 in 3 Australian women have experienced at least one incident of violence from a current or former partner since the age of 15. surely you are not suggesting that 1 in 3 Australian women is a liar and a cheater are you?

Now back on topic and no justification please, as a man that hits a woman deserves no pity, over 30% ( approximately 1 in 3 ) Cambodian women had experienced physical, sexual, emotional or economic intimate partner violence experience in her lifetime. Surely you would not suggest that 1 in 3 Cambodian women is a liar and a cheater would you? If you did, it would certainly make it uncomfortable when you go out for a drink with three of your top bloke married Australian friends.
One of my top Aussie bloke drinking partners spent $14000 defending himself on false domestic violence accusations final outcome she never turned up in Court he was still $14000 out of pocket for what oh yes his lovely wife lied
Maybe you do gooders need to accept there's a real world out there and it's not all roses
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Who's attacking you? I posited the most common reasons for DV in this country youve projected that this is all about Aussie guys Who lost everything the article is about Cambodians and DV. You instantly pipe in saying a man must be provoked to do it, I as I say explained the reasons why it happens here, Cambodia not Australia, not to Australian men. I signed off by suggesting if you felt that the reasons I gave were acceptable or adequate reasons then I'd pity any woman with you. If you're saying you don't think these a good reason to assault a woman or child then no need to get offended.

Quite what the hell a man doing it to me has anything to do with it I don't know. This is about DOMESTIC VIOLENCE in cambodia. Usually committed by men against women and as the usual main income generator the woman is often trapped. So sure if I were somehow jobless living with a Khmer man and he beat me every day maybe I'd hit him back maybe I wouldn't.

You clearly know a few bums Who have excused this kind of behavior in the past as being "provoked"
I've meet a fare few bumps in Cambodia but as for my mates who have been faulty accused I wouldn't call them bums thier top bloke loving father's
Please retract your statement
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic