Affordable Health Insurance for Expats?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
curiosity
Expatriate
Netherlands

Affordable Health Insurance for Expats?

Post by curiosity »

Hi folks,

what kind of health insurance for South-East Asia can you recommend?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: affordable health insurance

Post by Anchor Moy »

Are you an expat or traveling or on holiday ?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

what do you consider, affordable?

Personally, I self insure and self medicate.
has worked fine

Spoiler:
so far
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by iluvu »

Lol, I got Miller fisher syndrome while I was in Cambodia without insurance. The only hospital that had ivig in Cambodia was royal Phnom Penh and they wanted 1k a bottle. I went to Vietnam where the price was 170. So yeah, get insurance, one that will pay for a hospital outside of Cambodia if needed. A 450 dollar ambulance to Vietnam saved me ~80k.
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

Is it possible / feasible to get med-evac to Singapore? Or is Thailand / Bangkok the only real sensible option?

I ask as I already have coverege in SG....
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I was recently looking at expat health insurance. Nothing came in under about $200/month. It's crazy considering travel insurance only costs AUD $700/year. And tourists are much more likely than expats to partake in risky activities, IMO.

All I want is emergency and medevac cover in case of a serious injury or illness. But no-one seems to offer that. Big gap in the market? Maybe there is an opportunity there for one of the insurers?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
andy_morris
Expatriate

Re: Affordable Health Insurance for Expats?

Post by andy_morris »

What about A+, operating out of the himawari?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I have a Globality policy, includes med-evac. In the event of med-evac I think the shortest distance is preferable so Bangkok would be my choice.
It's valid valid worldwide excluding North America.

No medical required if you are under 55 (good luck to them with that)

$163 a month via AG Cambodia in the Himawari complex. Best money I spend each month.

At the time of writing I have a mate who is booking a flight home to London tonight after being diagnosed with Apendicitis this morning.
Fuck that...
Last edited by Doc67 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

I have a $1.2 million USD cover medical policy with medical evac as required, with David Shield. cost at my age (60) is about $180 per month.
curiosity
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by curiosity »

what about Regency? Any experience with them?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic