Children of the Night.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Children of the Night.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Image:Khmer Times

June 28, 2019
Taing Rinith

"Lin is a fifth grader during the day, but after her school hours, she has to do her part to help her parents support the family. Every evening, after having her dinner at 7 pm, her father brings Lin from their house, located in a small village in Kandal about 10 kilometres from the centre of Phnom Penh, to the nightlife area to sell flowers. He waits about 1 km away to take her home at 1:00 in the morning."

"It is not safe for the little girls. Lin says there were so many times that she got beaten up by beggars or drug addicts, who want her money."

“I usually make 20,000-50,000 riels per night,” Lin says. “Most of those who buy the flowers from me are old men, who want to give it to the female workers here."

"Some of Lin’s friends, who also sell flowers or other stuff to the night owls, even put on makeup and wear short skirts in the area although most of them are still under 18. A 15-year-old girl, who calls herself Srey Oun, says some adults force her to eat or drink with them or they will not buy from her. Fortunately, nothing bad has happened to her, yet."

"“My friends told me that some Barang (Western foreigner) rape boys,” Ratana says. “I don’t know how they do that, but I try not to be with them for long.”

"On June 10, the Child Protection Unit announced it recorded more than 1,400 crimes against children. A few days later, Action Pour Les Enfants, an anti-paedophile NGO, announced that it cooperated with authorities to crack down on 18 child sex cases involving more than 10 foreigners last year."

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50619085/c ... the-night/
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Children of the Night.

Post by Cinnamoncat »

It always broke my heart to see the little kids out late at night selling the flower ringlets.

I wished they could have been home sleeping, away from all the weirdo adults and noise and confusion.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Nixon »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:59 am It always broke my heart to see the little kids out late at night selling the flower ringlets.

I wished they could have been home sleeping, away from all the weirdo adults and noise and confusion.
Couldn’t agree more
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:59 am It always broke my heart to see the little kids out late at night selling the flower ringlets.

This NGO in Sihanoukville is good for helping kids off the streets:
http://mloptapang.org/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Same thing happens around Thailand too, the parents basically abusing the little kids, forcing them to work til late at night & putting them at risk of harm in a non-child-friendly environment full of mainly men drinking in bars etc
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic