ATM USD or local currency (Cambodian Riel)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: ATM USD or local currency

Post by Kammekor »

kate.burns wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:04 am Thank you. To clarify, I am a frequent visitor to Cambodia - spend about three months a year here working with some NGOs and this has never happened to me before. I’ve come across a lot of scams but not this one before.

The jewellery shop in question is run by one of the NGOs for disabled people and the manager is a personal friend. It was only later when she realised it had the word ‘COPY’ on it that she contacted me.

I am in touch with my Australian bank and they are following it up. My only purpose in posting this is to warn others.
My warning: be careful when spending 100 USD notes. If you pay with a single one, point out the last numbers of the serial number to the seller / cashier, so a switch becomes impossible. If you spend a large sum, let them check every note, and do so by yourself. if you receive money, do the same. Preferable get paid by bank transfer rather than cash.

When you withdraw money, briefly perform some checks on the notes received. The 'COPY' ones are extremely easy to distinguish.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:47 am A new security feature on the $100 notes allows you to slide a paperclip under the ribbon:
Yes, or a toothpick works well. Be careful you don't tear it or you'll have a different problem.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Any torn or defaced notes can be changed at Ly Hour. usually fee is about 105 depending on size and condition. i got $90 at their head office but was only offered $75 at the office nearest me. google location is 11.563003,104.913297 around 290 charles degaule boulevard (st217) one blog north of olympic styadium east side
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Just recently I was about to hand over a few 100 dollar notes and I asked my 17 year old for a pen so I could write the numbers down, like I always have done for many years.

She spreads the notes out, grabs my phone and takes a pic, saying do like this. I'm never too old to learn from a smart-ass, so that's how I will do it from now on.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic