ATM USD or local currency (Cambodian Riel)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
darrenrr
Tourist

Re: ATM USD or local currency

Post by darrenrr »

So given the lastedt reply a guy got a fake bill from an ATM , does this happen often ?
Are ATM’s to be avoided ?
So It better to withdraw Reil ?
Thanks
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

darrenrr wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:43 am So given the lastedt reply a guy got a fake bill from an ATM , does this happen often ?
Are ATM’s to be avoided ?
So It better to withdraw Reil ?
Thanks
Withdraw $ and check them at the ATM under cameras. Or, as another poster said. Go inside a branch if you can and withdraw/check in there. The odds of being dibbed are quite low. Just use prudence where possible.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I used the ATM's over some years without problems, never had any dodgy monies paid to me, but like anywhere in any country using the ATM's it's more the feeling of looking over your shoulder. So for sometime now I have been going inside to the cashers, filling in the withdrawal slip while waiting. That's when the banks floor staff say politely, I should be using the ATM' and not going to the casher, being that many customers wish to use this service to pay their monies in, same reply back is don't the ATM's take care of that service too.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
kate.burns
Tourist

Re: Fake 'COPY' $100 bills from ATM

Post by kate.burns »

Same thing happened to me on Thursday using Vattanac ATM at Lucky Supermarket on Shanouk Boulevard. I didn't realise it until the trusted person I had bought some jewellery from on Fiday contacted me last night to say they were fake - had the word 'COPY' written on them. My purse was always with me and it was the only cash I had at the time so definitely no issue about them being switched.
I'll try making a fuss with the bank but I doubt I'll get anywhere. Last time I use an ATM here - I'll go into the bank next time.
There seems to be a Vattanac/supermarket theme.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

kate.burns wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:59 pm Same thing happened to me on Thursday using Vattanac ATM at Lucky Supermarket on Shanouk Boulevard. I didn't realise it until the trusted person I had bought some jewellery from on Fiday contacted me last night to say they were fake - had the word 'COPY' written on them. My purse was always with me and it was the only cash I had at the time so definitely no issue about them being switched.
I'll try making a fuss with the bank but I doubt I'll get anywhere. Last time I use an ATM here - I'll go into the bank next time.
I know its your first post but everytime i have ever paid with a anything under a $20 bill, for anything, they examined the bill very closely. So i have to say.
BS
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kate.burns wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:59 pm Same thing happened to me on Thursday using Vattanac ATM at Lucky Supermarket on Shanouk Boulevard. I didn't realise it until the trusted person I had bought some jewellery from on Fiday contacted me last night to say they were fake - had the word 'COPY' written on them. My purse was always with me and it was the only cash I had at the time so definitely no issue about them being switched.
So your bills have been in a jewellery shop for hours AND have not been out of sight?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:31 pm Will they ever see a market in Camboida for supermarkets outside PP and SR?
There is a nice Lucky in Battambang now.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:59 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:31 pm Will they ever see a market in Camboida for supermarkets outside PP and SR?
There is a nice Lucky in Battambang now.
Ratanakiri has a 'Setra' now, loads of Western items at even higher prices than Lucky. But at least it's there.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

jonathan.waller wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:01 am I pulled out 100usd from Vattanc bank atm in Phnom Penh, I can confirm it's a fake note. I didn't notice until 2 days later when I tried to spend it. :(

Is there any recourse?

I told the tuk Tuk driver from the hotel and he told me the manager there is known to be a bit crazy. Who knows. But its a fact. Fake 100 usd bills from the atm

I would live to know how to complain. I was told the police are a waste of time here...?

First time here visiting from Bangkok.
Sorry you had that experience and also that some posters on this forum chose to be mean to you rather than answer your question.
Yes, it is not worth your while going to the Police (to be fair that would be the case in any country two days after the withdrawal).
You do need to be more on your guard against theft here than you would in Bangkok. However, less need to be on your guard against local con merchants!
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:07 pm
jonathan.waller wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:01 am I pulled out 100usd from Vattanc bank atm in Phnom Penh, I can confirm it's a fake note. I didn't notice until 2 days later when I tried to spend it. :(

Is there any recourse?

I told the tuk Tuk driver from the hotel and he told me the manager there is known to be a bit crazy. Who knows. But its a fact. Fake 100 usd bills from the atm

I would live to know how to complain. I was told the police are a waste of time here...?

First time here visiting from Bangkok.
Sorry you had that experience and also that some posters on this forum chose to be mean to you rather than answer your question.
Yes, it is not worth your while going to the Police (to be fair that would be the case in any country two days after the withdrawal).
You do need to be more on your guard against theft here than you would in Bangkok. However, less need to be on your guard against local con merchants!
So you paid them and they later called u to say it was fake?

Nothing suspicious whatsoever 😂
Last edited by shnoukieBRO on Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic