ATM USD or local currency (Cambodian Riel)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: ATM USD or local currency

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:50 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:03 pm someday Cambodia will have 7/11 's as no town in Thailand would be without;
7/11 has been trying a long time, but hasn't been allowed. If they come to Cambodia they will wipe out all local mini marts in no time.
Exactly;
this is from 2013 yet still none built in Cambodia, Burma or Laos
Thailand’s biggest convenience store operator, CP All, plans to apply for licences to open 7-Eleven stores in countries including Cambodia by 2015, according to a Reuters news report yesterday.

The other two countries are Myanmar and Laos, and the plan is part of CP All’s expansion strategy in the region, said the company’s president, Piyawat Titasattavorakul.
The company’s assistant vice-president of corporate communication, Banyat Kamnoonwapana, insisted that “[Piyawat] only mentioned plans, but not the year [by which he intends to open the stores].”
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... n-cambodia
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I always withdraw in Riel. Ever since the stories started circulating of fake $100 notes from ATM's, I decided that I'd withdraw Riel whenever practical, and it's worked out fine. My mental arithmetic skills, especially my four times table, has increased significantly. Cashiers don't seem to inspect high denomination Riel notes for the slightest blemish like they do $100 or $50 notes.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:28 am
Kammekor wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:50 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:03 pm someday Cambodia will have 7/11 's as no town in Thailand would be without;
7/11 has been trying a long time, but hasn't been allowed. If they come to Cambodia they will wipe out all local mini marts in no time.
Exactly;
this is from 2013 yet still none built in Cambodia, Burma or Laos
Thailand’s biggest convenience store operator, CP All, plans to apply for licences to open 7-Eleven stores in countries including Cambodia by 2015, according to a Reuters news report yesterday.

The other two countries are Myanmar and Laos, and the plan is part of CP All’s expansion strategy in the region, said the company’s president, Piyawat Titasattavorakul.
The company’s assistant vice-president of corporate communication, Banyat Kamnoonwapana, insisted that “[Piyawat] only mentioned plans, but not the year [by which he intends to open the stores].”
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... n-cambodia
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... a-and-laos a more recent article
Don't forget the water buffalo
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

They are fantastic stores, with a great range of snacks etc.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I love 7/11...
hope they build one in Kep before i move

There building over 750 new Tescos in Thailand,( currently 1,583) for the middle class shoppers
there a step above 7/11's
Tesco, the UK’s largest retailer, has announced that it could grow its business in Thailand by opening 750 new convenience-style stores. There are currently1,583 Tesco stores in Thailand. Tesco’s Asian investment plunge will likely target the Chinese and South Korean markets as well.

The Thai subsidiary, Tesco Lotus, was the first western supermarket to set up in the country 12 years ago. For westerners, the Tesco Lotus experience is familiar yet strange, with durian, dragon fruit and guava replacing strawberries and plums in UK Tescos.

A report to investors says that Thais are migrating from traditional markets to hypermarkets, supermarkets and convenience stores as the country develops.

Will they ever see a market in Camboida for supermarkets outside PP and SR?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
jonathan.waller
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by jonathan.waller »

I pulled out 100usd from Vattanc bank atm in Phnom Penh, I can confirm it's a fake note. I didn't notice until 2 days later when I tried to spend it. :(

Is there any recourse?

I told the tuk Tuk driver from the hotel and he told me the manager there is known to be a bit crazy. Who knows. But its a fact. Fake 100 usd bills from the atm

I would live to know how to complain. I was told the police are a waste of time here...?

First time here visiting from Bangkok.
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

Did you notice it after or before you went to the bar on 136?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

jonathan.waller wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:01 am I pulled out 100usd from Vattanc bank atm in Phnom Penh, I can confirm it's a fake note. I didn't notice until 2 days later when I tried to spend it. :(

Is there any recourse?

I told the tuk Tuk driver from the hotel and he told me the manager there is known to be a bit crazy. Who knows. But its a fact. Fake 100 usd bills from the atm

I would live to know how to complain. I was told the police are a waste of time here...?

It's amazing how these ATM's tend to prey on first timers. AI of those machines must be quite sophisticated now.

Next time: check the bills when they come out of the machine and don't trust hotel safes and visitors to your room. Never keep your wallet out of sight (3$ massage places) or hand over your wallet to a bar girl to pay your bill while you visit the loo, and the ATM will know you're a smart guy and prey on someone else.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

logos wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:34 am Did you notice it after or before you went to the bar on 136?
After
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

jonathan.waller wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:01 am I pulled out 100usd from Vattanc bank atm in Phnom Penh, I can confirm it's a fake note. I didn't notice until 2 days later when I tried to spend it. :(

Is there any recourse?

Your SOOL: :stir:
shit out of luck

Again; NOT fake, i bet it it has the word COPY on it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic