What's happening in your life?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: What's happening in your life?

Post by phuketrichard »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:11 am
phuketrichard wrote:FYI make sure u change ur default programs to default the ones YOU WANT<not the the ones windows 10 wants.
But this gets at the core of what I don’t understand.

If Microsoft had a solid system with Windows 7, why didn’t they improve on that solidness into Windows 10, instead of making something that needs to be re-engineered to make it work like Windows 7? And why do I need tiles? Or Cortana following me?

Corporate currently runs all critical programs (written in Windows NT/95) for Macs over VPN in a virtual wrapper. Worried someday they may drop Mac support on the wrapper, and go all Windows. Hence, my reason for installing Windows now, on the last generation Mac that can natively run Windows. In other words, I’m forced to because of capricious corporate gods.
why you ask?
there is ZERO MONEY in providing updates LOL
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Ghostwriter wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:30 pm
AndyKK wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:58 am i am that of a humble painter.
Could you expand a bit on this please ?
Sorry I thought my quote my have explained - One thing I am not is a machanic by any means at all, I am that of a humble painter and would trade with my friends at home, they would do machanical things for me if I kneded , in return I would paint for them.

I had done some basics, on my motorcycles over past years, more of maintenance, the motocycles today have computers on board, so it's not just adjustments with a spanner, time to link the laptop. I was never good with spanners, and moveable parts, I had a tendency too over tighten. My life had mostly revolved around paint, and how best to apply the veriaty of coatings used. From normal house decorating, too airless spraying, coverage of vast areas with galleons of paint applied, to all manner of vehicles. Commercial painting also restoration, and too airbrush work, I was also a brushman on the commercial vehicles,meaning I could paint by brush and obtain the finish equal too a sprayed area. particularly needed on fuel tankers, where overspray would dust onto areas, tankers always had the rear dish painted by brush. It was with major oil companies that 30+ years would be beneficial, painting and that of filling stations countywide. refurbishment also rebranding when changeovers, say, such has Total changing brand into Esso.
So if friends may have wanted their bikes cosmeticly sorted they would come to me, likewise I would go to someone who was more machinical. But the good thing is now I am learning, striped the 400 down and rebuilt it, being my sons idea that it would fill some time, staying now in a self isolated possition at the time.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Started writing that damn book finally, travel restrictions having offered something positive. I've realized how god awful my grammar is and the need to learn the basic mechanics of it. I posted the first chapter on a site that offers the chance for it to be critiqued by published writers, and although they were very generous and kind, it was somewhat embarrassing. Gotta start somewhere though, I guess.

What ya'll doin'?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 am Started writing that damn book finally, travel restrictions having offered something positive. I've realized how god awful my grammar is and the need to learn the basic mechanics of it. I posted the first chapter on a site that offers the chance for it to be critiqued by published writers, and although they were very generous and kind, it was somewhat embarrassing. Gotta start somewhere though, I guess.

What ya'll doin'?
Have you tried installing a Grammarly browser extension? It's free.
Grammarly offers a browser extension for the following browsers:
Chrome (version 51 and newer)
Safari (version 12 and newer)
Firefox (version 54 and newer)
Microsoft Edge (version 14 and newer)

https://support.grammarly.com/hc/en-us/ ... -extension

Grammarly will make suggestions to improve your grammar. It's not always right though, but better than nothing.

Apart from that, I'm still not smoking. Life sucks, but that goes without saying.

:popcorn:
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Username Taken wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:45 am
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 am Started writing that damn book finally, travel restrictions having offered something positive. I've realized how god awful my grammar is and the need to learn the basic mechanics of it. I posted the first chapter on a site that offers the chance for it to be critiqued by published writers, and although they were very generous and kind, it was somewhat embarrassing. Gotta start somewhere though, I guess.

What ya'll doin'?

Grammarly will make suggestions to improve your grammar. It's not always right though, but better than nothing.

Apart from that, I'm still not smoking. Life sucks, but that goes without saying.

Hi, UT. Yeah, I think you're right, at least it'll look considerably better than what I'm throwing up at the minute.

Outstanding effort on the continued abstinence from smoking - it really is something to be quite proud of, I think. Would it be a year now? Do you feel you may have kicked it once and for all? I made another lame attempt recently but I just enjoy it so damn much.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:45 am

What ya'll doin'?

Good for you mate. Keep it up
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Been just over 15 months now. No urges.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

First chapter of the book finished. I ran a poll asking what reading genre people enjoyed most, with fantasy not getting a single vote (I think)
So I dare say not too many here would be interested in casting an eye over it. But in case...

That Damn Book

Gelvron maneuvered his way through the disorder of the market in search of the elixir smiths, his hopes of making it to the Great Passage fading as quickly as the airless day. He felt his frustration giving way to anger.

He found the potion mixers hunched over a mortar and pestle, grinding a small gem stone to powder. The two heads of Mek and Gibble that emerged from their one torso was a sight that terrified Gelvron as a seven year-old boy, and even now ten years later, he’d have to admit he still found the image of the two brothers unnerving.

Their stall was a mess of flasks, bellows, tongs, bowls and parchments scattered across tables and old tree stumps. Brews fizzed and gurgled over a fire giving rise to the ghastly odors of a potion mixers craft, the stink forcing many passerby to raise a cloth or handkerchief to their nose.

Gelvron heaved his sack onto a table, the animal inside oblivious to the consequences that hung upon its trade.

Gibble looked up with a start. “What’s this then?”

“Let us see,” replied Mek. The two shuffled toward the young man, their slippers trailing small clouds of dust as they scuffed across the dirt floor.

“I’ve a good size sticktar I wish to sell,”Gelvron announced, pushing the squirming sack toward the two.

“A sticktar?”The potion mixers asked as one.

The elixir smiths loosened the bag’s draw-string cautiously, the thin snout of the animal darting through the opening discharging a jet of hot black goop into the air that sizzled past Gelvron’s left ear to pool spitting and spluttering in the dirt. The steaming goo revealed the gender of the animal to them immediately.

“A male,” Gibble declared.

“But small,” said Mek.

“This animal is considerably larger than the average.” Gelvron’s voice sounded more desperate than he wished.

“We saw one larger than this a year ago.”

“Then you surely paid at least fifteen hundred dilsons or more for it.”

Mek and Gibble studied the young man in front of them carefully, before moving into a corner to consider what they were prepared to offer for the sticktar. “They returned. “Eight hundred. No more,” said Mek.

“The creature is worth at least thirteen hundred.”

“The animal is rare in these parts, it’s true. But not so rare to pay a fool’s price, young man. Eight hundred is its value.”

Gelvron kicked a small wooden bowl crashing into one of the potion mixer’s contraptions, the apparatus disintegrating into a tangled pile behind a cloud of steam.

The two brothers watched the young man begin to pace in circles.

“A great burden it seems,” Gibble said calmly to his brother.

“Indeed. And a great temper.”

“What’s this obligation that rests on you, young man? Gibble asked.

“I’ve need to be at the Gates of Challowdeep.”

“The Great Passage will soon be closed.” The brother’s shared a knowing glance between each other.

“If I could leave on the morning, I would make it.” Gelvron pushed his fingers through his hair and exhaled steadily. The elixir smiths spoke in hushed tones to one another, then stepped around the table toward Gelvron.

“It is a Thrombor you require to make your journey.” It was a statement more than question

“It is”

“We have one.”

A thousand guarantees and assurances came to Gelvron as he approached the brothers. “You do?”

“We also have the need to deliver a small item to the gates of Challowdeep. So, in return for the item’s transportation we are prepared to offer you the Thrombor that must be returned, and a few dilsons for the journey. The sticktar will belong to us, of course.”

“I’m grateful and I agree. What is the item you wish…?’

Before Gelvron could finish his sentence, a tall slender woman with braids of hair falling to her knees interrupted the men, the birthmarks given to the Alfirrin people glowing on her cheeks. “Excuse me gentlemen. I was told of a sticktar for sale. I have appreciable need for the animal’s toxin and willing to offer fifteen hundred dilsons for it.’

Gelvron felt the calming energy of the Alfirrin woman glide softly over his body and welcomed its peacefulness.“I do apologize, madam, but I’ve an agreement already.”

The woman tilted her head curiously. “I’ve offered you a great deal more than the animal’s worth, and would raise that offer again if you’d reconsider.”

“Sadly, I’m unable to do so.” Keen to begin preparations for his journey, Gelvron bowed to politely dismiss the Alfirrin woman.

“Well, if I haven’t happened upon the most honorable trader across all the Tallesmore plains today. Very well, good sir, perhaps another time.” She turned and disappeared into the market, the gentle warmness of her magic ebbing from Gelvron.

“A decent fellow,” Mek said to Gibble as he lifted a pouch of coins from their pocket and began counting them out to Gelvron.

“Rare around these parts,” Gibble agreed.

“Very rare…” A flash of boiling liquid erupted from a cooking pot, blurring everyone’s vision including the surrounding stall holders. The elixir smiths rushed back to their brew as neighboring merchants began cursing the two of them loudly for the sudden inability to see.

The importance of the moment weighed on Gelvron reducing the surrounding chaos to a distant thrum.He would now certainly get to the gates of Challowdeep before they closed again. And once through the Great Passage, the real journey could begin.The journey that would see him kill a king.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:28 pm What's happening in my life?

- Binge watched "The Big Bang Theory" in a week.
- played a lot of Black Desert Mobile
- bought a Karcher K4 pressure washer and spent 3 days pressure washing everything! (inside and out lol)
- researched into buying a new PC... btw any advice on budget for a graphics card would be greatly appreciated (looking at an ASUS RTX 2060 atm)
Good TV show and a refreshing change from the "violence for the sake of violence" shows that TV is full of.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

rozzieoz wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:39 pm
Cowshed Cowboy wrote:
rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:57 pm I am so excited to share this news.
I've joined Shaun Attwood's True Crime Podcast research team. He and Sonia Poulton present a live three-hour podcast on Saturday nights, which requires a lot of research and fact checking.
I'm thrilled to be involved!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0pdkt ... sRg5LdLlXg
You should hook up with Wildman, Rozzie. :D
Haha he’s a bit too wild, even for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just saw on my YouTube feed from Shaun that Wildman has died. That's sad.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic