Fire at Old Market/Psar Chas in Phnom Penh (vids + pics)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Re: Fire at Old Market/Psar Chas in Phnom Penh (vids + pics)

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

thePeck wrote:
VLayHo-ho-ho wrote:
Secret Squirrel wrote:I agree with the majority of what ThePeck has said. Not sure whether he agrees with me or not but I think we have made similar points.

One could say that you are the Sock puppet of the peck...If we're gonna throw accusations around.

I'm also glad nobody got hurt.

In a little over two years, the old market will be something bigger and better than Psah Thmey/Sorya Mall.
You know that the first time I have been accused of having such a thing.
I didn't mean to use you as part of such an accusation, whatever you do in your spare time is none of my business.
Spoiler:
But, if you pm me your details, i'm sure we can look at doing business together in the future...?
It's actually me reacting childishly to a poster who's meant to be under admin protection. But doesn't deserve to be.
There was no sarcasm or malice intended during the making of this post.
Secret Squirrel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Secret Squirrel »

Perhaps the first point I would agree with you on. Any involvement in a protection racket was not my request. I am more than able to stand up for myself.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Authorities have concluded that the fire at Psar Chas in Phnom Penh, Cambodia was an electrical fire caused by faulty wiring.

Despite popular opinion, police are denying the fire at Old Market was caused by arson.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

PHNOM PENH (Khmer Times) – A fire ripped through Phsar Chas Market, or Old Market yesterday morning, heavily damaging and destroying vendor stalls and booths in the market that stretches from Peace Park on Street 108 to Street 110.

About a third of the 914 stalls in the traditional market were destroyed by the flames, causing $1.5 million in damages. Several vendors suffered minor injuries trying to rescue their wares.

“The first small fire started in a plastic bags stall in the eastern part of the market [along Street 13], due to faulty wiring,” Sok Lux, a 29-year-old jeweler told Khmer Times. “Owners of the plastic bags stall never turn off the main power switch before they leave to go home.”

“So, I tried to break into the plastic bags stall to put out the fire,” he said. “Unfortunately, I couldn’t put out the fire. The fire spread to my platinum and silver stall inside the market. I estimate that I lost about $10,000 through the fire.”

According to Phnom Penh Municipality's Facebook page, the fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring in a plastic goods stall at the eastern part of the market. It was owned by Sean Ly, age 48.

One clothes vendor, Kok Yin, aged 60, said with sadness in her voice: “My four clothes stalls and hundreds of dollars in cash were totally destroyed. I was getting my clothes ready for sales, when the fire hit my booths.”

Lieutenant Colonel Prom Yorn, chief of the municipal fire department said, “We needed 31 fire engines from different authorities, companies, and parts of the city to put out the fire and we have finished extinguishing the fire at around 9:30 am.

Mr. Yorn said, “Our department cannot confirm the cause of the fire yet.”

It is rumored that the market was set on fire by unidentified persons in order destroy it to make room for a new development, which the vendors oppose.

On its Facebook page, Phnom Penh Municipality declares these rumors untrue and appeals to reporters and social media not to increase the suffering of vendors by claiming authorities are responsible.

“This year, until now, we have 72 fires that have killed.....

...click link to continue reading...

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/6524/f ... ld-market/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Somebody should be smart and offer the vendors a few pennies on the dollar for their burnt money that they can't use here, but you can spend in the States.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

Shops in the States acutally accept half burnt bills like that? In my country the only thing you can do with it is change it at the central bank, I doubt any shop will accept bills that burnt.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:Authorities have concluded that the fire at Psar Chas in Phnom Penh, Cambodia was an electrical fire caused by faulty wiring.

Despite popular opinion, police are denying the fire at Old Market was caused by arson.

Its always an electrical fire. My co workers told me a story about a Market similar to Phsar Cha where Nagaworld stands today. Burnt to the grown...what do you know Electrical Fire.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

Post by Jacket »

The Add Jay wrote:
CEOCambodiaNews wrote:Authorities have concluded that the fire at Psar Chas in Phnom Penh, Cambodia was an electrical fire caused by faulty wiring.

Its always an electrical fire. My co workers told me a story about a Market similar to Phsar Cha where Nagaworld stands today. Burnt to the grown...what do you know Electrical Fire.

Look, in first world countries, where the electrical wiring is without a doubt much better than in Cambodia you still have houses that burn down because of electrical problems. So why is it so impossible to believe that in a country where most of the wiring is an affront to common sense, that an electrical fire is possible? In Cambodia if you want to "develop" a plot of land you don't need to commit an act of terrorism. All you need to do is wave a large enough ammount of money in the face of some government official and you've got yourself a landgrab going. People will be evicted they will get false promises of re-location, driven away and the ones who resist will be beaten or jailed.
Bei der Weiterbildung; in der Todeszone.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Check these photos to show how fast a electrical fire can start. The brightness is the wiring sparking.

OK, Next time I'll use the video
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

The Add Jay wrote:Its always an electrical fire. My co workers told me a story about a Market similar to Phsar Cha where Nagaworld stands today. Burnt to the grown...what do you know Electrical Fire.
Your co-workers are telling tales. The area was a loosely occupied squatter village, and they were simply evicted.
Last edited by LTO on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic