Horrifying Police Body Cam Footage

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Horrifying Police Body Cam Footage

Post by Brody »

Bodycam Video shows Athens officers plead with knife-wielding man before fatal shooting -

Damn, the ending looked like a scene from a Hollywood movie

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kuKr_1562096564
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Horrifying Police Body Cam Footage

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Goes to show how little damage 9mm can do. I feel like they should have handled that very differently, but that's easy to say as an armchair cop. The guy obviously wanted to die or was one some crazy drugs.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Suicide by cop. Tragic.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Those cops should be commended.

In the initial stages you can hear one of them call out for "less lethal" measures first. They weren't out to just knee-jerk, fill the guy with holes and kill him.

But the guy left them with no choice.

The ending was straight out of a movie. The cop shoots over his partners shoulder and scores a head-shot.

Tragic, but could have been much worse.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I think they showed great restraint. You can't stalk and then chase a cop with a knife and not get shot.

I am very surprised that of the 6 shots initially fired, it did not stop the guy in his tracks. Maybe only one hit him but still he was still having a go and very nearly disarmed the cop. Even after the second cop shot him he didn't look very dead.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

They're shooting 9mm pellets... Midway through the Afgan war, soldiers were requesting older 7.62 rifles because 5.56 was having trouble in terms of stopping power. A lot of the Taliban fighters were drugged up and could still charge despite having been shot, sometimes multiple times, as the 5.56 would fail to incapacitate them adequately.

As for the cops, I still feel like a warning shot should have been fired prior to them walking back like 100m. I don't know what police SOPs are, but that would have been my first instinct, followed by shots to the leg(s) before he got too close. Once the guy charges I think lethal action was totally warranted. Again, easier said than done, so they still did a great job of suppressing a threat. They showed a lot (perhaps too much) restraint.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic