Why so many empty mansions in Tuol Kork?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Why so many empty mansions in Tuol Kork?

Post by wolfcreek »

A few older (1970s Vietnam era) ones but many newer looking ones. Some have for rent/for sale signs but many just look deserted (no lights, no one coming and going, trash piled up, etc.). Have the owners fallen on hard times, or have they moved into even bigger mansions nearby? Or, as a friend suggested, have the owners moved to other countries (Canada, Australia, etc.)? Any speculation?
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Re: Why so many empty mansions in Tuol Kork?

Post by lostjeremy »

They probably do stay 1-2 days a month. Even in my small neighborhood most owners have multiple houses just in PP and split their time amongst them so I may see them a day a month or may not for a few months.
I'd be interested to know who owns the MASSIVE villa in TK across the street from the Aeon Express. I was told it was the top Muslim cleric/leader for Cambodia but not sure how accurate that is.

wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

Yes, that place is really over the top, lol... Looks like the Palace of Versaille or something like that.
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

I've got a friend who lives with his family at a normal shop-house nearby his workplace during the week, then they spend the weekend at their villa a bit further out. I suppose it could be the case for a number of these places in TK.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic