I Was Held Up at Gunpoint in Broad Daylight in Phnom Penh: Warning Tale from a US Man

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I Was Held Up at Gunpoint in Broad Daylight in Phnom Penh: Warning Tale from a US Man

Post by Soriya »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:46 am
Nixon wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:35 am
Ong Tay wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:26 am
Nixon wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:54 am He writes that his creditcards were used without pin. Is that possible? The new chipcards work without pin but only for small amounts. Is there a difference between credit/debit?
Big difference between credit and debit! My credit cards all have chips; none require a PIN to be used.
So, I learned something new today. Thanks!
well not exactly true;
all credit cards have a security code on the back (visa/mc use 3 numbers)
which are ALWAYS asked for on any ONLINE purchases, (hotel bookings, airline bookings, amazon etc etc)
You dont need a pin when you make a purchase in a "real" store.

PS: most new debit cards also have chips
True.most newish debit cards can be used without a pin but on random transactions it will still ask you to input pin into the handheld machine.at least it does in uk.also ALL credit cards have a pin for use in atm machines to withdraw cash if you so need.albeit at extra high interest rates.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I Was Held Up at Gunpoint in Broad Daylight in Phnom Penh: Warning Tale from a US Man

Post by John Bingham »

Has anyone here ever checked the balance on their foreign account using a debit card? I think I used to be able to with Canadia machines but haven't been able to for many years.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Soriya wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:11 am
Nixon wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:54 am He writes that his creditcards were used without pin. Is that possible? The new chipcards work without pin but only for small amounts. Is there a difference between credit/debit?
Big difference between credit and debit! My credit cards all have chips; none require a PIN to be used.
well not exactly true;
which are ALWAYS asked for on any ONLINE purchases, (hotel bookings, airline bookings, amazon etc etc)

True.most newish debit cards can be used without a pin but on random transactions it will still ask you to input pin into the handheld machine.at least it does in uk.also ALL credit cards have a pin for use in atm machines to withdraw cash if you so need.albeit at extra high interest rates.
The yankee diddlies are 20 years behind the curve when it comes to personal banking, so don't confuse the process in the UK with theirs. They are only just coming away from trace paper and the slider. You are talking about contactless payments, which is a different thing entirely.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

cptrelentless wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:23 pm
Soriya wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:11 am

well not exactly true;

The yankee diddlies are 20 years behind the curve when it comes to personal banking, so don't confuse the process in the UK with theirs. They are only just coming away from trace paper and the slider. You are talking about contactless payments, which is a different thing entirely.
Very true. The UK have had chips in all cards from around 2006, USA still only has around 40% of there cards with a chip. Not to mention contactless, which they are behind everyone (except that very strange country of Japan)

Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Seems odd.they usually like to show off there technological might. Militarily at least
dodiengdaga
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by dodiengdaga »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:11 am I've been coming to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia and Indonesia twice a year since 2002 (and now live in Vietnam). The only time I was ever robbed was by Thai Immigration officials... who extorted 2000 out of me.
2000 bucks! How did that happen? :shock:
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

2000 baht, not bucks. At first, I was refused me entry being told I had come to Thailand too many times (entered six times over three years at HKT; each time 30 days visa exempt, and got 30-day extension). I never overstayed. I was shocked :shock:. I showed my resort booking and return air ticket to China. The supervisor came... and after some discussion decided to "do me a favour" and let me in for 2000 baht (no receipt). :roll:

In Thailand, the criminals wear uniforms. :x
You could be next.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:07 pm Has anyone here ever checked the balance on their foreign account using a debit card? I think I used to be able to with Canadia machines but haven't been able to for many years.

As off 2 weeks ago(last time i checked) i could and have always been able to check my uk bank balance using canadia at ppc bank i have never been able to.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic