What type of Visa and How Long to process?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

What type of Visa and How Long to process?

Post by CamExpat »

I've read a number of threads on Visa's here and apprecaites everyone taking the time to post good info. I was hoping for some advice specific to my situatuon....

I am planning on living in PP while working in Asia. My employer is not basd in Cambodia and while I will be working remotely from a home office, none of the work will be taking place in Cambodia. I will need to travel regularly, 2x per month sometimes for as long as 2 weeks at a time.

Would a 30-day business visa on arrival + an EB extension be the best option? Would any other permits be necessary?

My employer doesnt have a presence in Cambodia so can't provide a work permit.

I need to open a local bank account for my employer to deposit my salary.

I've read different accounts of how long it will take to process an extension and understand I'd need a minimum 6-month visa to do so. Also, would any supporting documentation be required and if so, what?

I'd be arriving first week of August and would need to travel after about 2 weeks; would this be long enough to process the necessary extensions and paperwork?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: What type of Visa and How Long to process?

Post by AndyKK »

If your not going to work in Cambodia you do not need a EB visa, plus if you did you would need a business here or an employer, also a work permit.

https://www.movetocambodia.com/planning ... dia-visas/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

EB is not possible, see above, but you could get a 6 months EG extension. Multi Entry But can not be extended.

About the two weeks, extentions now take 10 working days. So you can arrange it at a surcharge. 24h service Will cost 70$ extra.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

"My employer is not basd in Cambodia and while I will be working remotely from a home office, none of the work will be taking place in Cambodia. "

If you're working from a home office in Cambodia then I'm not sure you can accurately say "none of the work will be taking place in Cambodia."
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:03 am "My employer is not basd in Cambodia and while I will be working remotely from a home office, none of the work will be taking place in Cambodia. "

If you're working from a home office in Cambodia then I'm not sure you can accurately say "none of the work will be taking place in Cambodia."
Agreed, I'm not clear whether this counts as working in Cambodia or not and whether it would mean needing a work permit or not. It varies in other countries....

About 5 years ago, I remember the visa(s) being much looser. It looks like it's tightened up a lot just as I am ready to move here :BangHead:

Thanks @AndyKK for that article. I've read a lot of (changing) posts but that was a very clear explanation. I read somewhere at some point an EB could be obtained the first time without employment or a business under the assumption someone was coming to set one up.... is this a realistic assumption or they really will need proof of an existing business and / or an employer?

I was hoping to avoid the EG as I understand it often cannot be renewed and I was hoping to based myself in Phnom Penh for a couple of years. Frequent travel does mean built-in visa runs but would rather not roll the dice on how long that's acceptable to the immigration folks.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

CamExpat wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:32 pm
Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:03 am "My employer is not basd in Cambodia and while I will be working remotely from a home office, none of the work will be taking place in Cambodia. "

Agreed, I'm not clear whether this counts as working in Cambodia or not and whether it would mean needing a work permit or not. It varies in other countries....

About 5 years ago, I remember the visa(s) being much looser. It looks like it's tightened up a lot just as I am ready to move here :BangHead:

Thanks @AndyKK for that article. I've read a lot of (changing) posts but that was a very clear explanation. I read somewhere at some point an EB could be obtained the first time without employment or a business under the assumption someone was coming to set one up.... is this a realistic assumption or they really will need proof of an existing business and / or an employer?

I was hoping to avoid the EG as I understand it often cannot be renewed and I was hoping to based myself in Phnom Penh for a couple of years. Frequent travel does mean built-in visa runs but would rather not roll the dice on how long that's acceptable to the immigration folks.
For the visa laws you're not working, so forget the EB extensions. EG extensions have been reportedly given more than once, but in order to apply for a new one you have to lave the country, get a new ordinary visa and apply for EG. In your position trhere's no way to legally obtain an EB extension. There are loopholes, but those will cost you 200-300 extra.
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

thanks @Kammekor. I'll be travelling once a month, so perhaps this is the best way to go.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

CamExpat wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:58 pm thanks @Kammekor. I'll be travelling once a month, so perhaps this is the best way to go.
Just get an ordinary visa when you arrive, and get a 6 months EG extension. Just a photo required (and a valid ordinary visa). That'll give you 1+6 months and multi entry.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic