Chinese own more than 90% of Sihanoukville businesses, says report

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Chinese own more than 90% of Sihanoukville businesses, says report

Post by rogerrabbit »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:33 pm
violet wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:20 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:55 am We are inside China now.
.... until the heavens fall.

I like a fight, but i suspect adapting to the new reality might be a wiser course.
Start making a few chinese friends, try to understand them bit more from a pos+ perspective?

Sure, challenge them at the boundaries, but cambodia has already been overrun and we will not re-establish the old lines in our lifetime.

Surrender monkey me??
I actually do try to get myself to reposition my perspective about Chinese matters before commenting. It is very easy to fall into an anti Chinese stance, but nothing good comes of us vs them- Only a good old war, which would like be fought in an entirely new way. White fella is afraid of losing their dominance and tasting their own medicine. That is understandable too.

However, sometimes a spade is a spade is a spade, and we need to find a way to think smart and outside the box, not fall into tired old ways of responding. We need to get smart very quickly, but getting smart doesn't mean blindly racing forward to be the first.
So back to receiving the menu at the Phnom Penh establishment, it was a no go due to the waiter spoke no English and the menu was in written Chinese.
The Chinese now have in one way become more like ourselves in some ways. Starting by, being able to freely travel, they have now just simply spread their wings, also ...
Did he speak khmer? And do you speak khmer? Was there a menu in khmer? Why would you expect someone to speak english in a country where english is not official language?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:24 pm

I like a fight, but i suspect adapting to the new reality might be a wiser course.
Start making a few chinese friends, try to understand them bit more from a pos+ perspective?

Sure, challenge them at the boundaries, but cambodia has already been overrun and we will not re-establish the old lines in our lifetime.

Surrender monkey me??
I actually do try to get myself to reposition my perspective about Chinese matters before commenting. It is very easy to fall into an anti Chinese stance, but nothing good comes of us vs them- Only a good old war, which would like be fought in an entirely new way. White fella is afraid of losing their dominance and tasting their own medicine. That is understandable too.

However, sometimes a spade is a spade is a spade, and we need to find a way to think smart and outside the box, not fall into tired old ways of responding. We need to get smart very quickly, but getting smart doesn't mean blindly racing forward to be the first.
So back to receiving the menu at the Phnom Penh establishment, it was a no go due to the waiter spoke no English and the menu was in written Chinese.
The Chinese now have in one way become more like ourselves in some ways. Starting by, being able to freely travel, they have now just simply spread their wings, also ...
Did he speak khmer? And do you speak khmer? Was there a menu in khmer? Why would you expect someone to speak english in a country where english is not official language?
Let's look at it the other way, how silly is to not have an English speaker in a hospitality environment?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:27 pm

Surrender monkey me??

Let's look at it the other way, how silly is to not have an English speaker in a hospitality environment?
Have you looked lately where the majority of the people coming to country are coming from? Have you looked lately what languages are most spoken in the world? Have you ever been in France for example? How many years AndyKK has lived in Cambodia? Does he speak khmer? How would people in his home country treat you if you would have lived years in country and yet, not able to speak the local language.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^^No he did not speak Khmer when my lady spoke to him in Khmer, there was no answer, also no written Khmer menu! But that would have made no difference unless there happened to be pictures unfortunately. rogerrabbit do you speak and read fluent Khmer and Chinese, if so you have an advantage over many in this country.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:35 pm

Have you looked lately where the majority of the people coming to country are coming from? Have you looked lately what languages are most spoken in the world? Have you ever been in France for example? How many years AndyKK has lived in Cambodia? Does he speak khmer? How would people in his home country treat you if you would have lived years in country and yet, not able to speak the local language.
Ever ran a business in hospitality?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:48 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:35 pm
Ever ran a business in hospitality?
Nope, but I do run multiple businesses. Still if you go some random restaurant on a random street in Paris, it is very high chance you don't get service in english. To get english menu even is 50-50 chance. I take it that you are from english speaking country?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Did he speak khmer? And do you speak khmer? Was there a menu in khmer? Why would you expect someone to speak english in a country where english is not official language? Quote^^

You are so right I am lazy and wrong not to have grasped the language of the country I that reside. I can manage to get by like many, but sometimes that is not good enough, I could not agree more with you. Has for the Chinese how many will speak Khmer, and to that how many Khmer speak Chinese, it's now more important to them now to obtain good employment. Also you will find most nationalities speaking English too communicate. How many English schools are here in Phnom Penh alone. University's will run courses in English for the Khmer degree's. The Chinese too will have English schools. But unmaterial if your trade is possibly your countryman.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
ozguyinshv
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ozguyinshv »

davegorman wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:53 am Wow that’s shocking. But not really.

99.9% of the businesses are on Cambodian owned land or Cambodian owned buildings leased to the Chinese. (I don’t know. Maybe 90% or 100%, but a lot)

One day they will yank the carpet away. You’ll see.
I worked for one of these big companies in shv. A lot of the chinese there have purchased cambodian citizenship so they can own land, buildings etc
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

ozguyinshv wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:22 am
davegorman wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:53 am Wow that’s shocking. But not really.

99.9% of the businesses are on Cambodian owned land or Cambodian owned buildings leased to the Chinese. (I don’t know. Maybe 90% or 100%, but a lot)

I worked for one of these big companies in shv. A lot of the chinese there have purchased cambodian citizenship so they can own land, buildings etc
Define “a lot”?
The vast majority, which is “a lot”, don’t or can’t or don’t want to.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

davegorman wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:32 am
ozguyinshv wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:22 am

Define “a lot”?
The vast majority, which is “a lot”, don’t or can’t or don’t want to.
The vast majority can't afford Cambodian citizenship, but you only need one. And the vast majority can afford to buy a (small) piece of land in Cambodia, at least at the prices common a few years ago.

I can imagine the one with citizenship thinks of some creative construction to buy land, and hand it over in a way acceptable for the Chinese. Chinese are really keen on buying land because it's not allowed in China.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic