Hong Kong Protesters: Radical Elements Storm Parliament

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Hong Kong Protesters: Radical Elements Storm Parliament

Post by Phnom Poon »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:28 pm The term "color revolution" has been in use for some time by the Cambodian authorities to describe opposition protests. Do a forum search about "black Mondays".
eg. newsworthy/don-wear-black-mondays-t8835 ... %20mondays
indeed
which gives away the source of the story

monstra mihi bona!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:17 pm I'm in Hong Kong now, seems quiet.
We see you John
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:34 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:17 pm I'm in Hong Kong now, seems quiet.
We see you John
but maybe he can't see us, over the wall

monstra mihi bona!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:33 am
How did you get there? I thought the airport was closed.
I was being a bit facetious, I was just transiting through the airport, which was opened again by Wednesday. On Tuesday night it was looking a bit touch and go whether I'd be flying through there at all.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Hong Kong protests

Post by The Seawolf »

Reckon some people will get killed this weekend. It’s going to properly kick off
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Hong Kong protests

Post by xandreu »

The question is, is China really prepared for another Tiananmen Square - style stain on it's reputation? I know the two issues are completely unrelated but they kind of are in terms of how far China is willing to go to get its own way and violently clamp down on those who oppose it.

The Tiananmen Square massacre is still fresh in most people's minds (those that are old enough to remember it) even though it was 30 years ago. Since then China has transformed dramatically into a kind of confusing mix of outright capitalism fueled by an underbelly of ruling class communism. There's no doubt that the Chinese have a lot more freedoms and improved living standards than 30 years ago, which has seen its image improve a lot from the old days of outright communism.

The question is, is China willing to risk all of that and create another major political stain (let's call it by it's actual name - state sponsored mass murder) which will still be remembered in 30 years time?

And then. I guess, the next questions would be - what would the rest of the world do about it? But we all know the answer already - fuck all.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Will there be "civil war" between PRC Chinese and Hong Kong Chinese all over the world? Protests and counter-protests in Canada and Australia, fake Chinese police cars in Perth and Adelaide. If China exerts control over Hong Kong by force and no country engages militarily is Taiwan next? The Chinese have always claimed that is an internal problem. What nation can afford to engage in economic warfare with China? China holds the debt of most western countries. Their leaders' don t need to be re-elected, they don t need to make popular decisions.

https://7news.com.au/news/crime/fake-ch ... s-c-406383

https://www.nst.com.my/world/2019/08/51 ... oss-canada
laredo
Expatriate
Germany

Post by laredo »

Soon or later every dictatur will fall down NEVER stay for ever like the men kind of history shows.
The next ones:
Cuba,North-Korea,Russia,Vietnam,Laos,Philippines and a few africans.
Later:
China
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

1.8 million take to the streets

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

laredo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:38 pm Soon or later every dictatur will fall down NEVER stay for ever like the men kind of history shows.
The next ones:
Cuba,North-Korea,Russia,Vietnam,Laos,Philippines and a few africans.
Later:
China
Sadly, I see the golden age of democracy behind us. Name an African country that has true democracy, Asian countries are not much better, South America plays lip service at best. Our democracies are being manipulated by outside forces, Our being the western world and all of us have had players outside our countries seeking to favour their position through undermining our confidence in the system. Young British, Canadian, Australian and New Zealanders lost their lives defending Hong Kong in the past, I don t see it happening again. If democracies are unwilling to fight to protect other democracies, the bad guys are going to win.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic