Opium Beer - The Easy Way

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Opium Beer - The Easy Way

Post by Milord »

Oh, I know what you're thinking, ... Easy Peasy, ... Just extract a couple of Genes from a Poppy Plant, ... Gene Splice them into some yeast, ... throw some sugar into a bucket, add modified yeast and water, ... wait a bit, ... voila!

You might be right.

Creating A DNA Hack To Bypass Poppy Fields And Brew Opium In A Steel Vat

Bioengineers have hacked the DNA of yeast, reprograming cells to make opium-based medicines such as morphine via an extension of the basic brewing process which makes beer.

Associate Professor of Bioengineering Christina Smolke of Stanford University has already spent a decade genetically engineering yeast cells to reproduce the biochemistry of poppies with the ultimate goal of producing opium-based medicines, from start to finish, in fermentation vats.

“We are now very close to replicating the entire opioid production process in a way that eliminates the need to grow poppies, allowing us to reliably manufacture essential medicines while mitigating the potential for diversion to illegal use,” says Smolke, who outlines her work in the journal Nature Chemical Biology.

Smolke and colleagues added five genes from two different organisms to yeast cells. Three of these genes came from the poppy itself, and the others from a bacterium which lives on poppy plant stalks.

This multi-species gene mashup was required to turn yeast into cellular factories that replicate two, now-separate processes: how nature produces opium in poppies, and then how pharmacologists use chemical processes to further refine opium derivatives into modern opioid drugs such as hydrocodone.

Plant-derived opium has been used for centuries.

Morphine is one of three principal pain killers derived from opium. As a class they are called opiates.

The other two important opiates are codeine, which has been used as a cough remedy, and thebaine, which is further refined by chemical processes to create higher-value therapeutics such as oxycodone and hydrocodone, better known by brand names such as OxyContin and Vicodin.

Legal poppy farming is restricted to a few countries including Australia and is supervised by the International Narcotics Control Board, which seeks to prevent opiates such as morphine from being refined into illegal heroin.

The thrust of Smolke’s work has been to pack the entire production chain, from the fields of poppies, through all the subsequent steps of chemical refining, into yeast cells using the tools of bioengineering.

What Smolke’s team has now done is to carefully reprogram the yeast genome, the master instruction set which tells every organism how to live, to behave like a poppy when it comes to making opiates.

It takes about 17 separate chemical steps to make the opioid compounds used in pills. Some of these steps occur naturally in poppies and the remaining via synthetic chemical processes in factories.

Smolke’s team wanted all the steps to happen inside yeast cells within a single vat, including using yeast to carry out chemical processes which poppies never evolved to perform such as refining opiates into more valuable semi-synthetic opioids such as oxycodone.

The scientists have one more hurdle in order to achieve the goal of pouring sugar into a stainless steel vat of bioengineered yeast and skimming off specific opioids at the end of the process.

They must perform another set of bioengineering hacks to connect the major advances they have made over the past decade.

“We are already working on this,” she says.

Smolke said it could take several more years to perfect these last steps in the lab and scale up the process to produce large sized batches of bioengineered opioids pharmacologically identical to today’s drugs.

“This will allow us to create a reliable supply of these essential medicines in a way that doesn’t depend on years leading up to good or bad crop yields,” Smolke says.

“We’ll have more sustainable, cost-effective, and secure production methods for these important drugs.”

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/creat ... vat-2014-8
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Opium Beer - The Easy Way

Post by Milord »

OK, Enough BS, Here is the Recipe for Beer.

Ingredients:

"Nobody" tends to use 1/2 pound of seeds in 2 quarts of water for PST, yielding two to three doses. With this ratio of as a base, "Nobody" hopes to produce 12 doses of enhanced product per gallon.

1.2 gallons of water (some will be lost in processing)
4 fresh limes, peeled, seeds removed, macerated
1 pound poppy seeds
2 pounds sugars Dark browns, cane sugar, agave nectar, the more varieties of sugar, the fuller the flavour, avoid refined.
packet of yeast

Make your tea with the lime, steep, strain, chill and blot surface. Warm up slowly, adding sugar, do not let get past body heat. Add yeast. Let ferment a week, week and a half until bubbler slows down. Bottle and serve in a week. Might be worth carbonating, but oils may interfere.

Admixtures:

Ginger medicates nausea, covers flavour, goes well with lime. Really can't go wrong with ginger.

Cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, warming spices should be used in small quantities lest they become overwhelming, especially tasty with ginger.

Cannabis quells nausea but presents other issues. If added to the mash after the oils are blotted and removed before bottling, this relative of the hops should release some of it's active ingredients into the alcohol as it is produced. It has been suggested that soaking the herbs in tepid water for an hour may help remove undesirable chlorophyll and other flavour agents. No matter what you do (unless it involves 90 proof being added to the final mixture) there will be a large loss of THC, but it could be worth it.

Honey added before bottling could be wonderful, especially if a higher sweetness is desired.

Yarrow has supposed synergistic effects with alcohol, might be a good bitter.

Well this is all there is as of now. Got the supplies to start running experiments, be back in a few weeks with the results.
Addendum:

Poppies seem to be quite yeasty and adding yeast seems unnecessary as fermentation will start on it's own with in 2 days.

Do not leave the seeds in for more then a few hours, this will cut down on the "grainy" poppy taste that seems to be the worst consistent.

Had a few failures, be back later with more info.

There is also another way.

Normal home brew beer uses tap water. Why not replace a portion of this tap water with poppy tea instead (pod would be best obviously but seed will do in a pinch).

In this way the wild yeasts would combine with the yeasts already in the barrel for your home brew beer and might even accelerate the fermentation process a little.

Also one would be combining the properties of the PPT/PST with ordinary beer that they could brew at home.

For legal purposes this could also be great because police and forensics labs are not likely to want to test beer. SWIM has done this before with the resin dust (hash before it is pressed) from MJ buds when he used to smoke MJ, it worked awesome.

One would guess from bio-mechanics that there would be little to no degradation of opiates during the fermentation process as there are a fair number of extracts done with alcohols and also opium tincture or Laudanum which is stored in a alcoholic form.

SWIM would suggest working out ones normal dosage and making sure that a barrel of beer would be producing something in that range.
SWIM just wanted to report back that he did just as stated above and it absolutely kicked ASS.
He did it with a normal Home Brewing kit and just replaced his own portion of the water that was to be used with some tea solution that he had prepared earlier as per his own dosage range.

The taste was a bit weird but this will be different the next time he does it as he will just dissolve CFO in a small amount of water to be added to the barrel. He may add some honey or something to sweeten it up also.

But, after everything is said and done, he rates the experience a 9/10. This is not to be taken lightly from SWIM as he is an EXPERIENCED Opiophile.

SWIM asks people that if they are to try it to please be careful with the dosages. It is recommended for experienced Opiate theorists only.
OR,
skip the brewing process and just wash your seeds using about a beer and a half or two per rinse ..It works great and adds a little of the same subtle effects one might expect to experience from opiate glow...I use cheep light beer and 1lb good seeds . Shake for no more then 15 min total per rinse ..Two rinse per batch... keeps me well for 24hrs... cheers happy holidays from Jonny poopy seed
Total unedited thread : https://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=70837
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

Post by Jacket »

tl;dr
Bei der Weiterbildung; in der Todeszone.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

But I will gladly drink.....
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Jacket wrote:tl;dr
Ok, show me a better way on the elusive hunt for SOMA, the mythical magic medicine.

I may give the impression of a reformed junkie. I'm not.

I've had opportunities of Over the Counter morphine in Turkey, OTC Whatever in Mexico, Real Opium in Afganistan, Actually tried Peyote in TO [stomach cramps and barfing with medium hallucinations].

I'm pretty much a druggie virgin. Just had some Gas at the Dentist, $265 FOR 2 Units. Fuck, think I'll try some Whipping Cream Gas for $8.95 instead, nice-short-buzz.

Weirdest buzz was after a deep SCUBA dive in Honduras, stumbled around the dive boat after it, looking for my towel(?)Nitrosis? Then switched to Enhanced O2, (32%), cleared that up.

Best drug ever, Sex every day for 7 years. (a few missed days to be honest, I wish you could bottle it)
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Milord wrote:Best drug ever, Sex every day for 7 years. (a few missed days to be honest, I wish you could bottle it)
Well that explains your poodle's hip dysplasia.

(I jest, I jest)
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

Post by Jacket »

Milord wrote:
Jacket wrote:tl;dr
Ok, show me a better way on the elusive hunt for SOMA, the mythical magic medicine.

I may give the impression of a reformed junkie. I'm not.

I've had opportunities of Over the Counter morphine in Turkey, OTC Whatever in Mexico, Real Opium in Afganistan, Actually tried Peyote in TO [stomach cramps and barfing with medium hallucinations].

I'm pretty much a druggie virgin. Just had some Gas at the Dentist, $265 FOR 2 Units. Fuck, think I'll try some Whipping Cream Gas for $8.95 instead, nice-short-buzz.

Weirdest buzz was after a deep SCUBA dive in Honduras, stumbled around the dive boat after it, looking for my towel(?)Nitrosis? Then switched to Enhanced O2, (32%), cleared that up.

Best drug ever, Sex every day for 7 years. (a few missed days to be honest, I wish you could bottle it)
Here's the thing: I don't give a damn about any drugs other than alcohol. You could've revealed the secret to turning vinegar into heroin and I'd still be like "whatever".
No offense :P
Bei der Weiterbildung; in der Todeszone.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I'll stick to making regular beer, although ganga can be infused in it.

Scottish Ale
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
% Alc/Wt.
Description
A dry, clean, well-hopped Amber Ale

Ingredients
6.6 lb Light Malt Extract
0.5lb Crystal Malt
1lb Light Dry Malt Extract
1 oz Cascade Leaf Hops (10min)
2 oz Cascade Leaf Hops (30min)
1 tsp Irish Moss
7g Alr Yeast
1 Cup light dry malt Extract (priming)
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Sailorman wrote:I'll stick to making regular beer, although ganga can be infused in it.
I was hoping You would pipe up, vis a vis, the "practicability" of the above recipes, knowing your hobbies.

I've read conflicting reports re Ganga beer.

Do you have a recipe?

I've made HBO, Butane thru a turkey baster filled with Herb. Excellent results. Ask me.

My next Mission, to invent an e-cigarette cartridge for e-cig pens. Has this been done?
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

vladimir wrote:
Milord wrote:Best drug ever, Sex every day for 7 years. (a few missed days to be honest, I wish you could bottle it)
Well that explains your poodle's hip dysplasia.

(I jest, I jest)
You're close. GF from HK. Followed me everywhere. My hip dysplasia, not hers, and my back, oh my fucking sore back.

I should start a new thread, " Duties and Responsibilities of a Sex Addict ", Too much Fucking work and Pain, but I hate changing expectations and schedules. :lol: ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic