Getting official copies made of driver's license & other documents?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Getting official copies made of driver's license & other documents?

Post by A10 »

Just curious,

I was stopped by police for what seemed like a routine traffic stop, and checked for my papers (which are all current), but normally I don't like carrying originals with me especially on the bike or car so I usually just carry copies. Given the original driver license and moto documents are flimsy paper instead of the hard cards they used to be, I leave them at home now and carry paper copies (black and white from my inkjet printer), but was told this is not acceptable.

So I wonder if anyone has had official (in the US it's called notarized) copies made of documents and then carried those with them instead. I've already lost one passport due to water damage but I hate carrying it wherever I go because of how bulky it is.

Anyway, I put my cards and passport in plastic bags that you get from the pharmacy but now carry a backpack everywhere I go because of it because of it. Not the end of the world, but if I can carry a laminated certified copy vs the originals, I wont worry as much about being rained on and can leave the backpack at home.

Also, if anyone has any idea if I can laminate the original owner's cards, please let me know. I've been told I can't, but am not entirely sure.

Thanks for any help in advance,
A10
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Getting official copies made of driver's license & other documents?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You can get official certified copies at the MoFAIC. Most locals just get replica copies made and laminated at local print shops, cops accept these.
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

^^Is it a case by case scenario depending on the police accepting copies? I was just told I must have the original cards and passport on me when riding or driving.

If it's no big deal or not necessary I'll just keep carrying the black and white copies I have already.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

I think if you had colour copies and laminated them it would not be a problem,never been assked for original at a traffic stop.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I always , except at embassy, use copies of my passport in color original size with main page and current EOS back to back lamenated in plastic from the local copy shop. I carry the original licence but have a copy of the moto registration card on my phone. Never has a problem.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic