Phnom Penh now 108th most expensive city for expats

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Phnom Penh now 108th most expensive city for expats

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Phnom Penh jumped 34 places to be the 108th most expensive city for expats to live according to the Mercer report. It is now more expensive than Adelaide, Vancouver or Wellington. The ranking looks at 209 cities around the world, measuring the comparative cost of more than 200 items in each location, including housing, transport, food, clothing, household goods and entertainment. Eight of the top 10 cities named in the Cost of Living survey are in Asia, up from six entries in 2018.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2019 ... or-expats/
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh now 108th most expensive city for expats

Post by Kammekor »

I'll be heading for Sofia tomorrow.

Great spring. Great autumn. Skiing in winter. Lovely beers (Astika!). Great food. International airport served by great selection of flights. No visa / work permit hassles....
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Hmm... Several UK cities there way below Phnom Penh in the rankings which I find hard to believe. The rental market alone would be enough to push them above PP. In the 'How the cost of living breaks down' charts, London ranks as 5th,1st,3rd,10th, unranked & 8th, (it features on all but one of the top ten) and yet it only comes in at 23rd in the overall chart.

Something doesn't see quite right.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

I agree, Vancouver being cheaper than PP? You'd be hard pressed to find a detached home for less than $2,500 a month.
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Nixon »

A10 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:35 am I agree, Vancouver being cheaper than PP? You'd be hard pressed to find a detached home for less than $2,500 a month.
The Real Housewife’s of Vancouver would most likely be insulted..
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

The food is more expensive then some country's due to importing it from them, but I think the big thing putting the price sky high is the price of a car.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

xandreu wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:33 am Hmm... Several UK cities there way below Phnom Penh in the rankings which I find hard to believe. The rental market alone would be enough to push them above PP. In the 'How the cost of living breaks down' charts, London ranks as 5th,1st,3rd,10th, unranked & 8th, (it features on all but one of the top ten) and yet it only comes in at 23rd in the overall chart.

Something doesn't see quite right.
Drop in the pound vs the dollar. Certainly other than accommodation in the South UK cities are cheaper than a lot of other major cities I have been in.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I'm in London now.

Everything is expensive. I paid $7 to park my car for two hours just to have lunch in a pub (with no car park, so street parking).

Lunch was $18 for a fancy burger and chips. Beer is $5+ a pint in the suburbs, $7 upwards in town. The only saving grace is it takes fucking ages to get served, and then it's by some surly bearded young twat that swills it around in the glass while pouring it to create froth, then over pours it all down the side of the glass to get rid of said froth, then dumps it on the bar in a pool of slops and barks "three eighty". If they were quicker it would bankrupt you...

And it's freezing cold. I'm coming home early...
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:23 pm ... it takes fucking ages to get served, and then it's by some surly bearded young twat that swills it around in the glass while pouring it to create froth...
You spelt Australian wrong. :P
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:23 pm I'm in London now.

Everything is expensive. I paid $7 to park my car for two hours just to have lunch in a pub (with no car park, so street parking).

Lunch was $18 for a fancy burger and chips. Beer is $5+ a pint in the suburbs, $7 upwards in town. The only saving grace is it takes fucking ages to get served, and then it's by some surly bearded young twat that swills it around in the glass while pouring it to create froth, then over pours it all down the side of the glass to get rid of said froth, then dumps it on the bar in a pool of slops and barks "three eighty". If they were quicker it would bankrupt you...

And it's freezing cold. I'm coming home early...
It's just over three quid for a pint if you drink beer in the suburbs, or even in town in any Wetherspoon's. There's plenty of fancy places in London, but there's loads of cheap places. You just go to shit bars, of which there are many, too. Plus today is the one of hottest day of the year, it's 22 C. So no, you are not freezing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic