Diabetic South African overstayer locked up w/ no medications after being found begging for money with a bloody head

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Diabetic South African overstayer locked up w/ no medications after being found begging for money with a bloody head

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:50 pm
xandreu wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:26 pm I've never understood why anyone would allow their visa to run out.
Renewing the visa for a year costs about $300. A lot of expats don't have $300. Also, that weird old crime writer from Kampot overstayed for two years, turned himself in, and just had to spend a week or so in immigration jail before he was allowed to leave for the Philippines. Cambodia doesn't take overstaying seriously at all.
A year costs that even if he was down to his last cents he could have done a month or a 3 month for much less also unlikely to qualify for the year which is kinda arbitrary now. But same with insurance. An average insurance pack plus visa is about $4 a day. People prioritize their beer and what not spends over that then cry foul when in trouble.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Diabetic South African overstayer locked up w/ no medications after being found begging for money with a bloody head

Post by Anchor Moy »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:18 pm
xandreu wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:26 pm I've never understood why anyone would allow their visa to run out.
Renewing the visa for a year costs about $300. A lot of expats don't have $300. Also, that weird old crime writer from Kampot overstayed for two years, turned himself in, and just had to spend a week or so in immigration jail before he was allowed to leave for the Philippines. Cambodia doesn't take overstaying seriously at all.
A year costs that even if he was down to his last cents he could have done a month or a 3 month for much less also unlikely to qualify for the year which is kinda arbitrary now. But same with insurance. An average insurance pack plus visa is about $4 a day. People prioritize their beer and what not spends over that then cry foul when in trouble.
Yes, if you have a temporary cash-flow problem, then get a 1, 3 or 6 month visa to tide you over and sort things out.
A lot of expats don't have $300.

What ? $300 a year makes $25 a month, which is less than 20 pounds in the UK. That's one night in the pub for a Brit. If you haven't got it, you are in the shit anyway. Are there seriously a lot of expats in Cambodia who cannot put by $25 each month to pay for their visa ? I know plenty of expats with fk-all money to spare, and yes, they drink 50c beers, but they all manage to have a valid visa.

And seriously, if you are sick with a permanent illness like diabetes, Cambodia is no country for sick people with no money.
Let's hope the OP subject is deported home for his own good and gets a second chance.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

willyhilly wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:56 pm Who was the weird old crime writer.
Bob Couttie
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Here's the inevitable Go Fund Me page for the South African:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/7za3x-help-t ... vCkN8kAegg
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Lone Aagren says he is a lying scammer on fb.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:39 pm Here's the inevitable Go Fund Me page for the South African:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/7za3x-help-t ... vCkN8kAegg
Fuck!... I was going to going to say "There will be a 'Go Fund Me' (for my stupidity) campaign." :facepalm:

... but I was beaten to it.
You could be next.
ozguyinshv
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ozguyinshv »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:38 pm
Yes, if you have a temporary cash-flow problem, then get a 1, 3 or 6 month visa to tide you over and sort things out.

What ? $300 a year makes $25 a month, which is less than 20 pounds in the UK. That's one night in the pub for a Brit. If you haven't got it, you are in the shit anyway. Are there seriously a lot of expats in Cambodia who cannot put by $25 each month to pay for their visa ? I know plenty of expats with fk-all money to spare, and yes, they drink 50c beers, but they all manage to have a valid visa.

And seriously, if you are sick with a permanent illness like diabetes, Cambodia is no country for sick people with no money.
Let's hope the OP subject is deported home for his own good and gets a second chance.

I have never understood how people can live in cambodia with little to no money. I am not judging, just wondering what the appeal is, other than a couple of obvious things 8-) , which surely wears off after a while.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:25 am Lone Aagren says he is a lying scammer on fb.
Friends Gay Guesthouse & Bar
Co Owner · 16 June 2019 to present · Phu Quoc, Kiến Giang, Vietnam
Host and event management

THÁI CÔNG Interior Design & Restaurant
Restaurant General Manager · 16 June 2019 to present · Thảo Điền, Quận 2
PR and Marketing Director

International hospitality trainer
Hospitality Coordinator , fashion and image consultant by appointment only · 15 June 2019 to present
Focusing on service procedure training, Resorts, Night clubs and Food and Beverage presentation. Haute Couture and international event executive.

Brand ambassador Pride Project Phu Quoc
Activists for equality · 16 June 2015 to present · Phu Quoc, Kiến Giang, Vietnam
Founder

Mia Resort Nha Trang
Stylist Assistant and decor consultant · 16 November 2014 to present · Nha Trang xinh đẹp

Boss Models Johannesburg
Free Lance Model · 16 September 2014 to present · Johanasburg, South Africa
Freelance ramp and photography model by appointment.

His work history from Facebook is a little over the top, the Pride Project Phu Quoc Facebook page is pictures of him, very few resorts have a stylist, he was assistant stylist and decor consultant. I guess I could consider myself a decor consultant, I recently purchased new towels and someone had to choose the colour of them, my wife was not there to guide me so I made the decision myself and went cream coloured, well not really cream, more like halfway between parchment and alabaster with a sprinkle of chiffon.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ozguyinshv wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:46 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:38 pm

I have never understood how people can live in cambodia with little to no money. I am not judging, just wondering what the appeal is, other than a couple of obvious things 8-) , which surely wears off after a while.
:please:
other than easy visa and cheap beer
what obvious things?

as to the south African; seems all his jobs are current
16 June 2019 to present · Phu Quoc, Kiến Giang, Vietnam
Friends Gay Guesthouse & Bar
Co Owner · 16 June 2019 to present · Phu Quoc, Kiến Giang, Vietnam
Host and event management

Restaurant General Manager · 16 June 2019 to present · Thảo Điền, Quận 2
PR and Marketing Director

International hospitality trainer
Hospitality Coordinator , fashion and image consultant by appointment only · 15 June 2019 to present
Focusing on service procedure training, Resorts, Night clubs and Food and Beverage presentation. Haute Couture and international event executive.

Brand ambassador Pride Project Phu Quoc
Activists for equality · 16 June 2015 to present · Phu Quoc, Kiến Giang, Vietnam
how did he end up in Cambodia, broke and on overstay if he was working in South Vietnam as recent as june 16th, 2019
:plus1:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

He posted a picture of his Thai visa that was good until 18 Dec 2018. I suspect he hasn t really worked at any of his listed jobs in a while but left them and didn t want the world to know that he had left his buddies' behind.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic