Visa for child and gf

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Tny1990
Tourist
Great Britain

Visa for child and gf

Post by Tny1990 »

Hi looking for some advice what are the requirements to take your Cambodian gf and child to the uk to live the kid is mine so I’m guessing that won’t be to hard but what would be the requirements for my gf
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Visa for child and gf

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

If you are a British citizen then any of your children also qualify for British citizenship. Go and apply for their UK passport.

You can't take your GF to live in the UK, you would need to be married or in a civil partnership (there is a way of bringing a fiance but forget that as it adds more problems). To apply to take your wife to the UK you will need to demonstrate that you have a suitable home there and that can support her financially.

For finances there are 2 routes - the saving route or the income route. Savings I think it's £60k or £65k in the bank for at least 6 months. If you are qualifying on income it's a bit over £20k per year I think.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Regardless of the visit, get your child his/her passport ASAP.

Update your will in your home country. And consider what the plan is should something happen to yourself.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Terry Fishsauce wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:22 pm If you are a British citizen then any of your children also qualify for British citizenship. Go and apply for their UK passport.

You can't take your GF to live in the UK, you would need to be married or in a civil partnership (there is a way of bringing a fiance but forget that as it adds more problems). To apply to take your wife to the UK you will need to demonstrate that you have a suitable home there and that can support her financially.

For finances there are 2 routes - the saving route or the income route. Savings I think it's £60k or £65k in the bank for at least 6 months. If you are qualifying on income it's a bit over £20k per year I think.
The only correct part of the post I quoted is the first sentence. If she is the mother of your child and the primary care giver then you can get her a long term visa regardless of whether you're married (this wasn't previously the case so be thankful....). The last part (decent savings or £20k ish per year + £1k for each child you have) applies regardless of whether you're married.

Also note that if you're employed full time and you meet the minimum income requirements (even by a wide margin), there are still extra steps you have to take if you're employed as an independent contractor. It's a pain in the ass.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

If you want to take them to live with you you need to get married. Your gf is a flight risk unless she leaves the child behind, they won't give her a visitors visa otherwise. To get your kid's passport you need to provide your marriage certificate, your kid's birth certificate, both state and hospital, photos of parents with the kid from birth to date, copy of your and her passport from the time of conception, her medical records from pregnancy, her ID documents, her proof of address, her birth certificate, your birth certificate and the form. All of it needs to be translated into English if it's not.
Technically you can apply for a passport for the kid without being married but you will need to establish the relationship. If you give them all the other stuff and proof you can get interviewed for this. This is assuming they are under 13, 2005 onwards you can get citizenship by descent through the father. You have to apply via Phnom Penh.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

cptrelentless wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:32 pm If you want to take them to live with you you need to get married. Your gf is a flight risk unless she leaves the child behind, they won't give her a visitors visa otherwise. To get your kid's passport you need to provide your marriage certificate, your kid's birth certificate, both state and hospital, photos of parents with the kid from birth to date, copy of your and her passport from the time of conception, her medical records from pregnancy, her ID documents, her proof of address, her birth certificate, your birth certificate and the form. All of it needs to be translated into English if it's not.
Technically you can apply for a passport for the kid without being married but you will need to establish the relationship. If you give them all the other stuff and proof you can get interviewed for this. This is assuming they are under 13, 2005 onwards you can get citizenship by descent through the father. You have to apply via Phnom Penh.
I can only guess the misinformation going on in this thread is due to rules being changed since you guys did it. I got my son's passport last week. Me and his mother aren't legally married, it made no difference, and we weren't asked to do anything to demonstrate our relationship or have any interviews. Just provide the supporting documents listed on the relevant part of this form: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _10.16.pdf

Edit: I should note that my post is based on the premise that you are listed as the child's father on the government and hospital issued birth certificates. If you aren't then it's probably a very different situation.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

From that link.

“As well as the above, if you are applying for a Child First British Passport the following documents are also accepted. One of the documents provided should show a link to the parent applying and show that the child and parent are resident where they are applying from.
You must also provide a selection of family photographs of the child with the parents, named and dated over a period of time from birth to current day”
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

davegorman wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:24 pm From that link.

“As well as the above, if you are applying for a Child First British Passport the following documents are also accepted. One of the documents provided should show a link to the parent applying and show that the child and parent are resident where they are applying from.
You must also provide a selection of family photographs of the child with the parents, named and dated over a period of time from birth to current day”
Yes, you (the foreign father living in and applying from Cambodia on behalf of your child who was born in Cambodia) need to provide proof that you live here. I gave a bank statement and my rental contract. You also have to provide photos of the child with the parents, but not photos of you and the mother before the child was born (I tried to submit some and was told not to). It's also worth mentioning that we weren't asked if we were legally married as it simply isn't relevant to the application if the child was born after 2006.

Another point to note is that I was advised by the passport office helpline (and reaffirmed when we did it) that it's possible to get the passport even if you don't have all of the required docs. My partner didn't have a valid passport at the time of conception but they accepted her national ID card instead. "You can't provide what you don't have" were the lady's exact words, spoken in an understanding tone.
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

Bubble T wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:10 pmIf she is the mother of your child and the primary care giver then you can get her a long term visa regardless of whether you're married (this wasn't previously the case so be thankful....)
Are we talking about the same kind of visa? Because "long term visa" could even mean a 10 year visitor visa which any tourist can apply for. Whereas I am talking about a visa to settle in the UK in which case he needs to get married.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Terry Fishsauce wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:30 am
Bubble T wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:10 pmIf she is the mother of your child and the primary care giver then you can get her a long term visa regardless of whether you're married (this wasn't previously the case so be thankful....)
Are we talking about the same kind of visa? Because "long term visa" could even mean a 10 year visitor visa which any tourist can apply for. Whereas I am talking about a visa to settle in the UK in which case he needs to get married.
We're talking about the same kind of visa, but you're going on outdated information. The latest revisions were made in October 2018.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic