how to deal with the cheating

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: how to deal with the cheating

Post by Kammekor »

yongchi wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:46 am I also get annoyed when new staff quote a higher price or the price goes up because shop keepers decide they now want more money from me because I am a foreigner.

We tend to take these things personal.

But, they also do something somewhat similar on the Internet and then I usually don’t even blink:

On Amazon, one of the largest online retailers and online market places in the world, the price for an item often changes in response to what other sellers for an item charge and the quantity currently available.
Amazon themself also engage in this behavior.

Some sellers are constantly tweaking to see what they can get away with. And they often have to if they want the so-called buy box, i.e., get their offer in front of the customer rather than hidden.

So you might buy an item for $10. Five minutes later the price for another customer is $12 or $8.

Yet on Amazon, I have gotten so used to it. it’s a competitive market place.

But imagine a vendor at the market did the same thing. I would be seriously pissed off.

Some flight booking sites are alleged to keep track of whether you have already looked at a certain flight and adjust the price accordingly. The next guy might get a different price.

Consumers on the other hand use price trackers, comparison sites, etc. and try to get the best possible deal, regardless of whether sellers make any profit.

Sure, one could argue these scenarios are not the same as what we are experiencing when vendors charge us “foreigner prices” at the market.

Gotta play the game.
Multiple websites play this game, and it's annoyingly hard to avoid these days. They will not just check your cookies (easy to remove) or IP address (relatively easy to change) but also the unique MAC address of your connecting device will be logged (harder to change), so they know it's you, even if you use a VPN, unless you change the MAC address of your device.

Based on that info the algorithm will decide what price you will be shown, and the goal of the algorithm isn't to sell at the lowest price of course.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:37 am At lucky Supermarket there's a promotion for instant coffee, buy one, get one free. On the bill I was charged twice, the promotion was clearly not in the system. I told the cashier and she said 'if it's not in the cash register, there's no promotion'. I showed her the promotion, but she stood by her story. Highly annoyed I cancelled the sale of all the items and left.
I find that a bit un-Lucky as in Lucky Sen Sok they had a promo on, buy two bottles of cream, get a a body wash free. It also went through the till as a chargeable item, I did a double check of the receipt before I left. I pointed this out to the cashier and after some debate with her and the super, where I went and pointed out the promo, I eventually got my money back. So a) I don't think they know how to put promos or discounts into the till system, as the 50% off items have to be done manually, too and b) clearly only some of the staff are arseholes.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

cptrelentless wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:53 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:37 am At lucky Supermarket there's a promotion for instant coffee, buy one, get one free. On the bill I was charged twice, the promotion was clearly not in the system. I told the cashier and she said 'if it's not in the cash register, there's no promotion'. I showed her the promotion, but she stood by her story. Highly annoyed I cancelled the sale of all the items and left.
I find that a bit un-Lucky as in Lucky Sen Sok they had a promo on, buy two bottles of cream, get a a body wash free. It also went through the till as a chargeable item, I did a double check of the receipt before I left. I pointed this out to the cashier and after some debate with her and the super, where I went and pointed out the promo, I eventually got my money back. So a) I don't think they know how to put promos or discounts into the till system, as the 50% off items have to be done manually, too and b) clearly only some of the staff are arseholes.
I have little experience with Lucky, but if the receipt is not correct, and I show them the promotion, and they still are sturdy / unwilling, I don't upscale to see some manager to 'eventually' get it right. I just ask for my money and leave. It's not like I desperately need them to serve me. I went to Thai Huot afterwards - something I should have done in the first place.

<edit>
This was on Lucky Sihanouk by the way.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Yesterday in SR, I grab a beer from a stall as I'm passing...
Guy: two thousand five hundred
Me: oooh, bee boan, bong!
Guy smiles and I hand over the 2000
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

In australia, shop keepers usually don't cheat.
Just the banks and the national (mens) cricket team.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:36 pm In australia, shop keepers usually don't cheat.
Take one bottle top. Cut into quarters. Apply tape, leaving sharp point exposed. Hide in pocket. Gouge cricket ball when required.

It seems brazen, incongruous and bound to draw attention from match officials, but New Zealand's cricketers admitted doing all of the above in full view during a test in Pakistan in 1990.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Arget wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:01 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:36 pm In australia, shop keepers usually don't cheat.
Take one bottle top. Cut into quarters. Apply tape, leaving sharp point exposed. Hide in pocket. Gouge cricket ball when required.

It seems brazen, incongruous and bound to draw attention from match officials, but New Zealand's cricketers admitted doing all of the above in full view during a test in Pakistan in 1990.
Yeah you're right, it was a bit of a cheap shot.
Cricket, and civilisation generally - we went downhill the day they stopped wearing all white flannels.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Yes I recall the controversy. Pringle saw the ball after Akram astounded everyone with unbeatable in and out swingers, he reckoned one side was ripped to shreds. Crowe complained to the (local) ref but was ignored, so he basically said, if that's the way they want to play, two can play at that game. Crowe fessed up when he retired but Wasim Akram has denied it to this day. Well you have to dont you. In NZ Crowe got a few jokes at his expense and some tut tutting. In Pakistan....Wasim would have been torn apart by a crazed rent a mob.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Sadly in our world sport has developed into a huge money making business and supports ridiculous paychecks for the elite. There is a huge legal and illegal betting on all "professional "sport and this leads to cheating to gain advantage.

These days it is getting harder as there is so much camera coverage of all facets of the game that I think cheating is being less obvious of not happening.

In the past all teams ( shock horror) including England have admitted cheating (usually after players have retired )

In countries like Pakistan , Bangladesh and India cricket is almost a religious experience for fans and they can get very upset with their team if the lose but they would also turn on them if they were to be found cheating.

Yes the Australian team were caught and they were punished by the Australian authorities much more than the ICC did but this was to say to all that a new day has dawned and cheating is not to be tolerated either in sport or, business or life.

The cheating in cricket is in the past, football (the hand of god) etc. Lets all play by the rules and enjoy the game.
As in all games there can only be one winner. Celebrate the winner and the rest must try harder next time.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

There is a new smart hair salon on 184, near to Plantation. They have big writing on the windows saying "man haircut". They have another big display saying $2.50 with Khmer writing underneath that translates as haircut. Inside they have a detailed price list in English. The cheapest item is man's haircut for $5. I ask why does it say haircut $2.50 outside? The lady tells me that is the Khmer price. I say ok, then I cancel. She tells me "barang hair not same Khmer hair".
I was impressed by the fact that she felt that the price discrimination warranted justification (however flimsy).
I understand and accept that the salons and the street barbers that do not display a price will often dual charge. But it is a bit much for a new smart place to make it so blatant.
I'm off to my usual place near Magnolia on Pasteur, it has aircon and good barbers. It says $2 on the window, and that is what you pay (plus tip if you want).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic