Scooter vs Tuktuk

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Scooter vs Tuktuk

Post by Nixon »

A10 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:03 pm
If you are on the "taller" (5'10" plus) or "heavier" side (85kg plus)
Yep, that is me. I will look into Vespas. Thanks a lot
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I highly recommend a bicycle.

If you really want a motorbike, ride a bicycle for several months to get used to the traffic at low speed, before getting a motorbike.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
levindima666
Tourist
Lithuania

Post by levindima666 »

Car is better...more safety
:color ...only god can judge me... :thebirdman:
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

I am going to jump on this. Honestly, not sure I will ever get a scooter but if I do it would have to be one of those trike one's (I lack a good sense of balance 😓). Anyone have any stores they recommend that carry them just in case?
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Personally I would be too scared to ride a moto or a bicycle in Phnom Penh but I have both in Siem Reap for many years. Bicycle is great for exercise but make sure you have a basket or something to carry groceries etc if its your main form of transport. Ditto for moto. I bought a new Suzuki Smash in 2013 and have used it since. Cost me about $2 per 10 days for petrol - if I didnt use the bicycle it would have been perhaps $2 per week. I seldom changed the oil - most people I know never change it. There is no ongoing registration fee - I think a number plate cost about $20 (for Khmer - maybe $90 for foreigner). Bear in mind that ladies generally are willing to travel on the back of a moto but NOT on a bicycle.
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Nixon »

Do I need a license or not? I have tried to look this up but it seems to be a bit confusing. If I need a license I need a letter from a Sangkat, what is that?
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Nixon wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:37 am Do I need a license or not? I have tried to look this up but it seems to be a bit confusing. If I need a license I need a letter from a Sangkat, what is that?
If you ride a motorcycle of 125cc or under you don't need a licence. The A1 license was revoked in 2016. https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... 25cc-motos

I run a Yamaha Jupiter 115, This years model is the Spark 115i, its fuel injected and will set you back about $1200.

Engine Type: 4 -stroke , SOHC, single-cylinder , air-cooled .
Volume: 115 cu .
Compression ratio : 9.3 : 1 .
Bore x stroke: 50.0 mm x 57.9 mm
Fuel system injector
Ignition : CDI
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

I read on Lina's blog that there's potentially a change coming to the laws to exclude foreigner's from this, so it may not be a bad idea to get your license in case.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

A10 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:17 pm I read on Lina's blog that there's potentially a change coming to the laws to exclude foreigner's from this, so it may not be a bad idea to get your license in case.
Reintroduce the A1 licence only for foreigners? Doubtful.
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

Well, we're excluded from being allowed to register used motorbikes, so you never know.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic