A positive view

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

A positive view

Post by hdgh29 »

I often read through these forums, and usually its a depressing tale of crime, drunkenness, muggings, sh*thole bar areas, pedophilia, boredom and lonely expat deaths and suicides. I am sure there is plenty of this in PP, the same as any large city in the world - first world or third world. I come from Auckland NZ and can show you parts of that city that would match PP for poverty, crime and hopelessness. But I have visited Cambo on a few occasions, I have friends with families there, and I plan to retire in PP eventually, and all up I find its a pleasant city with good facilities, not Western standard but getting there. The local people are friendly and helpful to foreigners, the laws are fairly relaxed and can be relaxed even further with small donations (try getting out of a parking ticket in London with the offer of a fiver and you know what I mean), living is cheap compared to just about any other city in the world, the weather is either hot and dry or hot and wet so at least its predictable, and for a lonely single expat the hostess bars can provide somewhere for a cheap beer and a chat with a pretty girl for a few bucks. So whats the point of this post? Only that PP is like any place on earth - its as good or as bad as you want it to be or you make it to be. Just saying.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: A positive view

Post by fax »

hdgh29 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 am I come from Auckland NZ and can show you parts of that city that would match PP for poverty
hdgh29 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 am try getting out of a parking ticket in London with the offer of a fiver and you know what I mean
Please, Auckland matches Phnom Penh poverty? I don't know anything about NZ so I typed "Auckland social welfare" into Google. First result is a page on Wikipedia that starts out by saying "Social welfare has long been an important part of New Zealand society". It continues by talking about general taxation, unemployment acts, social security acts, pensions and minimum wage! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_in_New_Zealand

I've bought my way out of being towed several times and it cost more than $5. Where did you park? Has this happened to you or are you paraphrasing from decade old info that you've read online? Please clarify.

How long have you been here again? You sound like you know a lot about the place.

"not Western standard but getting there" really? If you mean the prices at the supermarket yes it costs about the same if not more. Great standard. On the other hand Belt Road is buying everything it can.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

hdgh29 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 am and all up I find its a pleasant city with good facilities, not Western standard but getting there.
Yes, today I will take the underground to Chroy Changvar, Shouldn't take me more than 10 minutes. Will attend a nice concert there.
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

sigh.... nice post

Positivity doesn't rank high on this forum for some reason, it's also my dream to retire to Cambo or some Asian country and I'm so envious of the posts about people having made or preparing to make the move, looking for apartments, asking info about jobs, eager and excited
more than most are slagged off or discouraged in some way, again, not sure why, a fear among the few lifers that there will be too many westerners getting in on their shit? Who knows, maybe regrets that they did it themselves?
sometimes you gotta wonder how happy these blokes are that took the plunge and moved to what we imagine sounds like paradise
hats off to anyone that has done it, I don't imagine for an instant that it is an easy transition, far from it
Even the ugly ones
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:43 am
hdgh29 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 am and all up I find its a pleasant city with good facilities, not Western standard but getting there.
Yes, today I will take the underground to Chroy Changvar, Shouldn't take me more than 10 minutes. Will attend a nice concert there.
:facepalm:
you can visit the park and library on ur way back as well.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

bucknaked wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:50 am Positivity doesn't rank high on this forum for some reason
and realism?

I mean...
hdgh29 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 am I find its [Phnom Penh] a pleasant city with good facilities, not Western standard but getting there.
hdgh29 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 am the laws are fairly relaxed and can be relaxed even further with small donations
hdgh29 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 am living is cheap compared to just about any other city in the world
are those quotes really true after having been in PP for a year?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:54 am
Kammekor wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:43 am
:facepalm:
you can visit the park and library on ur way back as well.
Not by underground, that station is still under construction. But we're getting there.
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

and realism?

I mean...
hdgh29 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:18 am
I find its [Phnom Penh] a pleasant city with good facilities, not Western standard but getting there.
the laws are fairly relaxed and can be relaxed even further with small donations
living is cheap compared to just about any other city in the world
are those quotes really true after having been in PP for a year?
He's being positive remember, maybe you are taking him too literally?
he's hardly going to relocate to the back streets and live under a corrugated roofing sheet with the locals, Westerners with some coin are still wanting a certain level of comfort and it is there in PP and improving rapidly
I expect there are glaringly obvious hardships when you actually come to live there permanently but for me [that's only visited a few times] you find all you need fairly easily, good coffee, cheap food, drinks, accommodation with AC and a pool, everywhere has Wi-Fi, getting around is cheap, chemists everywhere

the appeal is the chaos and the corruption and the heat and the dirt....at least for a few weeks ;)
Even the ugly ones
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

hdgh29 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 am I often read through these forums, and usually its a depressing tale of crime, drunkenness, muggings, sh*thole bar areas, pedophilia, boredom and lonely expat deaths and suicides. I am sure there is plenty of this in PP, the same as any large city in the world - first world or third world. I come from Auckland NZ and can show you parts of that city that would match PP for poverty, crime and hopelessness. But I have visited Cambo on a few occasions, I have friends with families there, and I plan to retire in PP eventually, and all up I find its a pleasant city with good facilities, not Western standard but getting there. The local people are friendly and helpful to foreigners, the laws are fairly relaxed and can be relaxed even further with small donations (try getting out of a parking ticket in London with the offer of a fiver and you know what I mean), living is cheap compared to just about any other city in the world, the weather is either hot and dry or hot and wet so at least its predictable, and for a lonely single expat the hostess bars can provide somewhere for a cheap beer and a chat with a pretty girl for a few bucks. So whats the point of this post? Only that PP is like any place on earth - its as good or as bad as you want it to be or you make it to be. Just saying.
After you have lived in Phnom Penh for 10 years tell us what you think.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

bucknaked wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:23 am the appeal is the chaos and the corruption and the heat and the dirt....at least for a few weeks ;)
A few weeks? Ha!!
Those attractions will last a lifetime for some of us.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic