A positive view

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: A positive view

Post by fax »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:02 am When was the last time you saw a headline like "Everything Was Just Dandy Today, Absolutely No Problems"?
How about a positive LSD story? Wouldn't that be newsworthy, just the once? To base your decision on information rather than scare tactics and superstition and lies? I think it would be newsworthy. "Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves... Here's Tom with the weather."

Bill Hicks
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

[/quote]

What's exotic about Cambodia exactly? I'm not saying that as a snappy comment, I just never thought of Cambodia as much of a travel destination. Hawai'i, The Bahamas, etc, that was my idea of exotic, but not SE Asia.
[/quote]

I am not sure if Hawaii (beach playground for Yanks and Japs) or the Bahamas (beach playground for wealthy Brits) meet the definition of exotic, which Merriam Webster gives as "foreign, alien; exciting, mysterious, strikingly different ", but Cambodia...jungles, temples, ancient civilizations, hot weather, lots of little brown people chattering away in an impenetrable language....fits the definition for me.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

fax wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:57 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:02 am When was the last time you saw a headline like "Everything Was Just Dandy Today, Absolutely No Problems"?
How about a positive LSD story? Wouldn't that be newsworthy, just the once? To base your decision on information rather than scare tactics and superstition and lies? I think it would be newsworthy. "Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves... Here's Tom with the weather."

Bill Hicks
Nearly thought! But no, let me explain, a few years ago a guy was sitting at my bar, he picked up his empty can asking for another. But first I want to tell you my story, pointing at his can, he said and that is where we all are. Inside a container somewhere else, because here on the outside we are not real and this is not reality.
I think cheap beer as a lot to answer for in this country alone.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:15 pm TBH all them sound exotic to me ...perhaps Hawaii less so coz it strikes me as americanised (caveat: I haven't been there tho).

Your post made me check the meaning of exotic:

Cambridge dictionary: exotic definition: 1. unusual and exciting because of coming (or seeming to come) from far away, especially a tropical country: 2. unusual and specially ..

So, I guess it depends where you come from and your perceptions...
That makes sense.

I remember being younger, one of the places I wanted to visit most was Russia for who knows why. Maybe it's because my good friend was from there, but whatever the reason, I found the language and literary culture fascinating, and although I suspect most people don't consider Russia an ideal tourist spot, to me it was very interesting at the time (still is).
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:15 pm So, I guess it depends where you come from and your perceptions...
^exactly this.

An 'exotic' girl I frequently do business with in Bangkok went on a holiday to.... The Netherlands, to see the flowers.

Having worked in that sector when I was young I would consider it anything but exotic, but she spent quite a lot of money to experience 'the tulips'. So it truly is all about perceptions.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Of course you are correct, and to someone from SEAsia Amsterdam would certainly be exotic. But I was asked "what's exotic about Cambodia", so I am giving my pov. And there is a distinction between what is exotic and what is an interesting or attractive place to visit. Russia? Interesting. Bahamas? Attractive. Battambang? Exotic. Also about the guy in the bar inside a beer can, that wasn't David Bowie was it? "For here am I sitting in a tin can, far above the world, planet earth is blue and there's nothing I can do."
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

hdgh29 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:06 am Of course you are correct, and to someone from SEAsia Amsterdam would certainly be exotic. But I was asked "what's exotic about Cambodia", so I am giving my pov. And there is a distinction between what is exotic and what is an interesting or attractive place to visit. Russia? Interesting. Bahamas? Attractive. Battambang? Exotic. Also about the guy in the bar inside a beer can, that wasn't David Bowie was it? "For here am I sitting in a tin can, far above the world, planet earth is blue and there's nothing I can do."
I've been to Battambang once, after I'd been in Cambodia for just over a year, and I just found it extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY hot (OK, it was in the last week of April...). Not exotic.

What do you find exotic in Battambang?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

got offered a job in Batt back in 2012, spent a week and left
Fuji, Tahiti, Maldives exotic,......Battambang BORING

Everyone sees things differently....Thank god!!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic