A positive view

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: A positive view

Post by Barang chgout »

explorer wrote:I believe the key is to be honest about reality, then focus on the positive.

Some people seem to think, to be positive, you cant be honest about reality.
Says the guy who understands reality!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:32 pm I believe the key is to be honest about reality, then focus on the positive.

Big question for you, explorer. What if your reality is not the Khmer reality ? Or even the reality of most expats ? We all have different experiences of life in Cambodia and they are not all the same. You can be "honest about your own reality", but that doesn't invalid experiences from others that you know nothing about.

However, please keep posting because your posts give cause to reflect on some things that we take for granted/ don't think about anymore. :thumb:
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

explorer wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:25 am
hdgh29 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 am I often read through these forums, and usually its a depressing tale of crime, drunkenness, muggings, sh*thole bar areas, pedophilia, boredom and lonely expat deaths and suicides. I am sure there is plenty of this in PP, the same as any large city in the world - first world or third world. I come from Auckland NZ and can show you parts of that city that would match PP for poverty, crime and hopelessness. But I have visited Cambo on a few occasions, I have friends with families there, and I plan to retire in PP eventually, and all up I find its a pleasant city with good facilities, not Western standard but getting there. The local people are friendly and helpful to foreigners, the laws are fairly relaxed and can be relaxed even further with small donations (try getting out of a parking ticket in London with the offer of a fiver and you know what I mean), living is cheap compared to just about any other city in the world, the weather is either hot and dry or hot and wet so at least its predictable, and for a lonely single expat the hostess bars can provide somewhere for a cheap beer and a chat with a pretty girl for a few bucks. So whats the point of this post? Only that PP is like any place on earth - its as good or as bad as you want it to be or you make it to be. Just saying.
After you have lived in Phnom Penh for 10 years tell us what you think.
This ^
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

explorer wrote:I believe the key is to be honest about reality, then focus on the positive.

Your reality seems to be a bit different to most people’s though.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Isn't it interesting, there have been 44 replies so far to this topic. Shows how strongly people feel, either for or against. The ultimate viewpoint (probably) is that we leave our home country to find something better or just different- I dont mean the NGOs or the high paid engineers or whatever, but guys like us, maybe a failed marriage or two behind us-, getting on a bit but still with a yen for one more adventure. And we wind up in Cambodia, one of the world's most exotic locations and so easy to live well on a small budget provided we learnt to cook and clean for ourselves at some point in our lives.And some other posts have talked about boredom, nothing to do except wait for the evening to sit in a bar with a pretty girl telling us how handsome we are in return for a few drinks. So what would we be doing back in Manchester or Melbourne? Sitting around watching day time tv, off to the pub every night with a few mates.....but without the girls of course. Well I lived in Manchester for a year or so, and another year in Leeds, and grew up on a sink estate in Dartford outside London, and I can confirm.........despite whatever negatives you want to throw up, Cambodia is paradise on earth in comparison.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Shows how bored people feel, either for or against.
FTFY.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Would an example of boredom be close to 3000 posts on CEO in the last 4.5 years? Also not sure if you used that acronym in its truest sense but MTFBWY.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

hdgh29 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:49 pm guys like us, maybe a failed marriage or two behind us-, getting on a bit but still with a yen for one more adventure. And we wind up in Cambodia, one of the world's most exotic locations and so easy to live well on a small budget provided we learnt to cook and clean for ourselves at some point in our lives.
And imagine if you are on a comfortable or even higher budget? Rather more than easy to live here then..
hdgh29 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:49 pm And some other posts have talked about boredom, nothing to do except wait for the evening to sit in a bar with a pretty girl telling us how handsome we are in return for a few drinks. So what would we be doing back in Manchester or Melbourne? Sitting around watching day time tv, off to the pub every night with a few mates.....but without the girls of course. Well I lived in Manchester for a year or so, and another year in Leeds, and grew up on a sink estate in Dartford outside London, and I can confirm.........despite whatever negatives you want to throw up, Cambodia is paradise on earth in comparison.
I think the boredom till every night is more a monger scenario. Most of the expats I've met that have spent some time here eventually spend less time in the bars (me included..previous playboy till Mrs Cargo made a decent man out of me) :) Seriously, the bar scene and the superficiality of it tires eventually (aka 'you buy me drink?') for most...maybe not all.

When I visit my home country, I pretty much do the same daytime as I do in PP. Pursue various interests I have via the internet. Rarely watch TV. Going out night time back in my country is problematic..firstly, a lot of my friends are retirees with families that don't want to go out at night. Secondly, if you drive your car you could be up for DUI and risk losing your licence. Else, you pay for relatively expensive Uber/taxi. Thirdly at night it's mainly a younger crowd these days. Contrast that with PP/Cambodia and all those things don't apply and I quite enjoy going out from time to time for drinks and dinner with my friends and GF.

And lastly, as a retiree (albeit a younger one) where am I going to find a younger, cute khmer GF like Mrs Cargo? :wink:
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

hdgh29 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:49 pm And we wind up in Cambodia, one of the world's most exotic locations and so easy to live well on a small budget provided...
What's exotic about Cambodia exactly? I'm not saying that as a snappy comment, I just never thought of Cambodia as much of a travel destination. Hawai'i, The Bahamas, etc, that was my idea of exotic, but not SE Asia.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

A10 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:07 pm
hdgh29 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:49 pm And we wind up in Cambodia, one of the world's most exotic locations and so easy to live well on a small budget provided...
What's exotic about Cambodia exactly? I'm not saying that as a snappy comment, I just never thought of Cambodia as much of a travel destination. Hawai'i, The Bahamas, etc, that was my idea of exotic, but not SE Asia.
TBH all them sound exotic to me ...perhaps Hawaii less so coz it strikes me as americanised (caveat: I haven't been there tho).

Your post made me check the meaning of exotic:

Cambridge dictionary: exotic definition: 1. unusual and exciting because of coming (or seeming to come) from far away, especially a tropical country: 2. unusual and specially ..

So, I guess it depends where you come from and your perceptions...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic