A positive view

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A positive view

Post by John Bingham »

I often read through these forums, and usually its a depressing tale of crime, drunkenness, muggings, sh*thole bar areas, pedophilia, boredom and lonely expat deaths and suicides.
Sure, but those are the sort of things discussed in news anywhere in the world. When was the last time you saw a headline like "Everything Was Just Dandy Today, Absolutely No Problems"?

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:54 am
you can visit the park and library on ur way back as well.
Have you ever even been in a library? :lol:

There's a lot of pessimism on this site, but a lot of the posters don't actually live here and are still stuck in that mentality of comparing everything with how their home country is. They wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes here in the 90s.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

bucknaked wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:50 am sigh.... nice post

Positivity doesn't rank high on this forum for some reason, it's also my dream to retire to Cambo or some Asian country and I'm so envious of the posts about people having made or preparing to make the move, looking for apartments, asking info about jobs, eager and excited
more than most are slagged off or discouraged in some way, again, not sure why, a fear among the few lifers that there will be too many westerners getting in on their shit? Who knows, maybe regrets that they did it themselves?
sometimes you gotta wonder how happy these blokes are that took the plunge and moved to what we imagine sounds like paradise
hats off to anyone that has done it, I don't imagine for an instant that it is an easy transition, far from it
Yeah I agree, there seems to be a tendency for some members on this forum to go on the attack with new members. OP has only made 8 posts and some are trying to pick holes.. Is that how we should treat new members?

To my mind it's a pretty innocent post...his key point being there's a lot of negativity on the news and forums about living in KOW yet there's a lot of positives too. Why do expats that live here want to be precious about a couple of specifics he made and argue that, I don't know.. Seems to me all that does is detract from his overall point and discourages people from wanting to post..
Last edited by Clutch Cargo on Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

explorer wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:25 am
hdgh29 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 am I often read through these forums, and usually its a depressing tale of crime, drunkenness, muggings, sh*thole bar areas, pedophilia, boredom and lonely expat deaths and suicides. I am sure there is plenty of this in PP, the same as any large city in the world - first world or third world. I come from Auckland NZ and can show you parts of that city that would match PP for poverty, crime and hopelessness. But I have visited Cambo on a few occasions, I have friends with families there, and I plan to retire in PP eventually, and all up I find its a pleasant city with good facilities, not Western standard but getting there. The local people are friendly and helpful to foreigners, the laws are fairly relaxed and can be relaxed even further with small donations (try getting out of a parking ticket in London with the offer of a fiver and you know what I mean), living is cheap compared to just about any other city in the world, the weather is either hot and dry or hot and wet so at least its predictable, and for a lonely single expat the hostess bars can provide somewhere for a cheap beer and a chat with a pretty girl for a few bucks. So whats the point of this post? Only that PP is like any place on earth - its as good or as bad as you want it to be or you make it to be. Just saying.
After you have lived in Phnom Penh for 10 years tell us what you think.
Why? He's entitled to say what he thinks/give his opinion regardless of how much time he's been here. You're being very condescending imo
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:02 am
I often read through these forums, and usually its a depressing tale of crime, drunkenness, muggings, sh*thole bar areas, pedophilia, boredom and lonely expat deaths and suicides.
Sure, but those are the sort of things discussed in news anywhere in the world. When was the last time you saw a headline like "Everything Was Just Dandy Today, Absolutely No Problems"?

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:54 am
you can visit the park and library on ur way back as well.
Have you ever even been in a library? :lol:

There's a lot of pessimism on this site, but a lot of the posters don't actually live here and are still stuck in that mentality of comparing everything with how their home country is. They wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes here in the 90s.
I love libraries>>>> whenever i'm in the States or any country i always make it a point to visit the library: New York, Paris, London an DC have great ones.
New York:

DC

Paris;
Even bangkok has a nice one
Lots of books,magazines,newspapers.
Quiet, peaceful, air con or heat depending on season, great place to spend a few hours and many are in fantastic old buildings.
Many times if in a foreign country i take my own book sit and read an wander around

PS: i dont compare ANYTHING to back in the states. I do, at times, compare Cambodia to Thailand...I admit :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Have you ever been to a library here?
PS: i dont compare ANYTHING to back in the states. I do, at times, compare Cambodia to Thailand...I admit
Sure, but Thailand is your home country.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:09 am
Yeah I agree, there seems to be a tendency for some members on this forum to go on the attack with new members. OP has only made 8 posts and some are trying to pick holes.. Is that how we should treat new members?
...and so often, the same names on the attack.
PP is far from idyllic, but if people take it and the rest of the country on face value then there is plenty of scope for being positive.
I suspect in some cases that the miserable curmudgeons are the ones who aren’t (and can’t be) happy anywhere, disappointed with how reality doesn’t match their desires, and therefore want to drag everyone else down into their own despair, so at least they aren’t missing out.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:16 am
explorer wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:25 am After you have lived in Phnom Penh for 10 years tell us what you think.
Why? He's entitled to say what he thinks/give his opinion regardless of how much time he's been here. You're being very condescending imo
I didnt say dont tell us what you think now. People who have been here a short time are entitled to express their opinion, just like everyone else.

I said: After you have lived in Phnom Penh for 10 years tell us what you think. I think after he has lived in Phnom Penh for 10 years he will have a different perspective.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

explorer wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:09 am
clutchcargo wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:16 am
explorer wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:25 am After you have lived in Phnom Penh for 10 years tell us what you think.
I didnt say dont tell us what you think now. People who have been here a short time are entitled to express their opinion, just like everyone else.

I said: After you have lived in Phnom Penh for 10 years tell us what you think. I think after he has lived in Phnom Penh for 10 years he will have a different perspective.
Explorer, you can wrap it in a pretty bow with ribbons but it doesn't remove the fact that your post insinuated that his post didn't mean much because his view lacked experience. In other words, that he shouldn't post unless he's been here long enough and knows what he's talking about. As I said before..not a good way to respond to new posters.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

New posters should always be encouraged, especially if views and ideas are different.

Otherwise it would be like that sad Thai forum I had the misfortune of wandering on to.
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

A few weeks? Ha!!
Those attractions will last a lifetime for some of us.
That's actually encouraging to know!
Even the ugly ones
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic