Fishermen's Alarm Grows Over Mangrove Destruction by Kampot Coast Development

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Fishermen's Alarm Grows Over Mangrove Destruction by Kampot Coast Development

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Duncan wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:37 am
It all boils down to , what is the role of the military ?
The role, rights and responsibility of the military in a patronage-feudal state is to plunder as much money as it takes to ensure the military are powerful enough and dedicated enough to absolutely ensure the patronage-feudal state continues to be run by the incumbent.

I read it up in the dictionary
or maybe it came in a dream
but anyway, that's how the world keeps goes around and around in a patronage-feudal state.
KOW, Kingdom of Whack

Whack - aust/nz colloquial for share of a dirty deal
eg. the generals get their whack.
I didn't have to look that one up in the dictionary - you can see it all around by just looking at trucks.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Fishermen's Alarm Grows Over Mangrove Destruction by Kampot Coast Development

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

How mangroves, mud and music are helping to conserve Cambodia’s coastline
Last Updated: 18 Mar 2020

Over 330 students, women champions, government officials, NGO members and community members from around Kampot and Kep have gathered in an effort to plant 3,000 mangroves and conserve Cambodia’s coastline.

Shoes were abandoned on the sideline as people waded into the mud and shallows – the mission was much more important than worrying about dirty feet.

The local activity took place as part of a larger mangrove planting and marine exhibition under ActionAid Cambodia’s 100,000 Mangroves campaign, supported by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) under the project ‘Strengthening Climate Information and Early Warning Systems in Cambodia’. The campaign aims to plant 100,000 mangroves in eight community fisheries by May 2020 and raise awareness of the importance of marine ecosystems.

The day began with planting while in the evening a marine conservation concert offered children’s activities, videos, presentations and songs and dance, all based around the integral role that marine life plays in the livelihood of everyday Cambodians.

Events were the result of a wide collaboration including the Fishery Administration and Provincial Department of Agriculture Kampot, Wild Earth Allies, ActionAid Cambodia, Children and Women Development Centre in Cambodia, SAMAKY, Building Community Voice, Marine Conservation Cambodia, Fisheries Action Coalition Team, and the private sector.

UNDP’s partnership with Action Aid has focused on empowering women through the development of local 'Women's Champions'. Participants work at local level and have been trained in gender equality and disaster risk reduction, and played an important role in the mangrove planting event by organising community engagement in the activities.

“Today I joined the event and I am very happy because this is my first time [planting mangroves] - I had a lot of fun. Mangrove trees are very important to my community because they help our local fishermen get more fish, and attract tourists – which helps boost our incomes." -- Ms. Mat Maro, Women's Champions from Kampot

The campaign comes after research suggests that 62% of mangrove cover in Kampot has been lost in recent years due to issues such as construction, tourism and land-grabbing.

“I think mangrove trees are important for people living in coastal areas, because they can prevent disasters such as strong winds and big waves. Second, mangrove trees provide shelter for many animals such as fish and crabs. Third, mangrove trees reduce air pollution and produce fresh air. Fourth, mangrove trees help attract more tourists to my community." Ms. Som Sorn, Women’s Champion from Kampot
https://www.adaptation-undp.org/how-man ... -coastline

For more information, please contact Muhibuddin Usamah (Project Manager) at [email protected]
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

re ^^^
The crucial thing about any reforestation project is to protect the habitat.
nature regrows by itself if that is looked after.
There is a place for planting if the soil and the local seed reservers are severely damaged,
but my personal view is that this is largely unnecessary in mangrove environments especially.
The thing is, planting trees is easy, quick and instantly measurable - so lots of feel good rewards.
Protecting the environment is much more difficult.

Not saying this is not a worthwhile project tho'. It will increase awareness and give the local participants a personal "emotional investment" which may help in the longer term.
A big tick for any effort in my book.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian Fishing Villages Fear Job Loss Due to Mangrove Beach Development Plans
2020-05-14

Thousands of villagers in southern Cambodia’s Kampot province are fearing loss of their fishing rights amid plans by a company linked to the ruling party to develop large stretches of a coastal mangrove forest for a port, satellite city, and golf course, residents said Thursday.

Local residents say they will resist plans by the Ching Kor Import Export Co. Ltd to fill in access to the mangroves and beach, on which they depend for their survival, Prek Tnout commune chief Ouk Sovannarith told RFA’s Khmer Service.

“They are very worried and have protested to the authorities and company over the investment project in [our commune] in monthly meetings and whenever public information sessions are held,” he said.

Though Cambodian Prime Minister HE has promised not to allow any private company to fill in the beach at Prek Tnout, villagers still fear loss of their jobs because company officials continue to pressure them to agree to company plans, he said.

Most residents of the community are poor and have taken out loans from banks to invest in their fishing business, he said, adding that they rely now on steady work to pay back their debts.

“Right now, the people here can make 50,000 to 100,000 to 200,000 riel [U.S. $12.50, 25, to 50] per day by fishing,” he said.

Thousands of residents of three Prek Tnout commune villages—Prek Tnout, Chong Houn, and Trepeang Ropov—have depended on family fishing for their survival for many generations, local fisherman Mitt Chamrern said.

“I won’t know what to do if they fill in the beach,” he said. “Only young people will be able to work for the company [if development plans go ahead]. Old people won’t be able to do it,” he said.

“I can make some money now from fishing for my family to live on, but if they take away the beach, my fishing business will be lost,” he said.

Company plans are still under study, though, Kampot provincial governor Chieu Tay said, adding that government authorities won’t do anything to harm the livelihood of commune residents.

“Nothing is official yet, so don’t worry so much,” he said. “The government will not do anything that affects the people. All of this is still under study, and we’ll know more for sure when the study is concluded.”

Calls seeking comment from the Ching Kor Import Export Co. Ltd—owned by Srey Keo Maly, a former senator of the ruling Cambodian People’s Party—rang unanswered this week on a line displayed on the company website.

Cambodian government spokesperson Phai Siphan meanwhile denied knowledge of the investment project when reached by phone for comment.
https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambod ... 93954.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

The fall of Angkor wasn't good enough, these guys won't be happy till they destroy whats left of the whole fu%king country. At least it gives us an insight to what really happened & rather than being droughts & floods it was more so corruption & greed.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

thanks, china

another rape, another fucked up environment

for the great god of money

I hope u choke to death on that caviar
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Yobbo wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:10 pm The fall of Angkor wasn't good enough, these guys won't be happy till they destroy whats left of the whole fu%king country. At least it gives us an insight to what really happened & rather than being droughts & floods it was more so corruption & greed.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.

Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Stayed tuned for more information on development projects in Kampot province

Kampot Expects Two Projects to Further Attract Tourists
AKP Phnom Penh, June 27, 2020—
Teuk Chhou area of the coastal Kampot province is expecting two projects focusing on smoke-free and ecotourism, and infrastructure improvement.

The update was shared by Kampot Provincial Governor H.E. Cheav Tay during a recent press conference here in Phnom Penh, adding that the projects will further tourism in the province.

The first project to be located in Makprang commune, about 17 kilometres from the provincial town, will bring about a natural recreational park, restaurants, tour service along the lake, and beyond.

The second project of infrastructure improvement will focus on canal rehabilitation and concrete road construction leading to various tourist sites in the Teuk Chhou area.
AKP

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Duncan wrote:Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.

Cambodia never enjoyed an Age of Enlightenment. And never produced leaders like George Washington and others. Most of her history was littered with family feuds and bloody power struggles.

Western ideals were never imposed to transform the society from above (like Japan).

Unfortunately, this reign of quasi-peace and stability through strongman control is probably the best possible outcome.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Carve a few roads into a forest, strip the hardwood first, then all the other large trees for chipboard. Burn off the rest. Then backfill the desert, cement over everything and stick up a few potted plants and chalets. Hey Presto - an Eco Resort. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic