Buying New Condo in PP vs. Snooky?

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
MikeD
Expatriate
United States of America

Buying New Condo in PP vs. Snooky?

Post by MikeD »

Hello,
I am looking for help from fellow expats. I am looking to buy a one/two bedroom condo either in Snooky or PP as a vacation home/investment. I am from New York. When I'm not there, I plan to rent part of it out or simply let someone stay at look after it. Is anyone here keen on which condo developments I should be looking at? Can anyone recommend an English speaking, trustworthy agent they know or have used? Feel free to PM me; I don't spend frequently visit this site. I have seen something like the D'Seaview in Snooky and Urban Village just minutes south of PP for $70k - that would be my price range. It would greatly appreciate it if someone could hook me up to get me some recent sales listings from NEW condo developments (or resales) or post the links and contact info here. Mike
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Buying New Condo in PP vs. Snooky?

Post by atst »

Freer properties Phnom Penh are a good English speaking agent
In my opinion renting is the best bet leave your money in term deposits over here good rates 8% up compounding
Google apartments in Sydney Australia they have been building these last few years and now many have major faults, if apartments in Sydney can't be built properly I have no dought all of most new condo's built in Cambodia with Chinese and Cambodian labour material and engineering are far worse
Just come over here stay in any hotel look around you will see the workmanship is not up to standards we expect
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Mike D from The Beastie Boys?
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

What he said.
If apartments in Sydney can't be built properly I have no dought all of most new condo's built in Cambodia with Chinese and Cambodian labour material and engineering are far worse

Snooky has huge bursting bubble potential.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

The Bridge is probably the best built and if any units left in the Habitat building would again be a good opportunity due to the high standards.(both PP)

SHV is really just not worth it. There are condos built are of dubious quality and just surrounded by a building site and a sewage filled sea with no trash collection, frequent power and water cuts and 150.000 low grade Chinese. Unlikely to rent or see an ROI once the bubble bursts. Not worth it.
MikeD
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeD »

John i agree about the Bridge. To the other poster, do i get the 8% return from the Bank or some random person?. I hear you can get even higher doing black market lending, which i would not do.
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by iluvu »

If you try to collect you might end up in pieces.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

MikeD wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:30 am Hello,
I am looking for help from fellow expats. I am looking to buy a one/two bedroom condo either in Snooky or PP as a vacation home/investment. I am from New York. When I'm not there, I plan to rent part of it out or simply let someone stay at look after it. Is anyone here keen on which condo developments I should be looking at? Can anyone recommend an English speaking, trustworthy agent they know or have used? Feel free to PM me; I don't spend frequently visit this site. I have seen something like the D'Seaview in Snooky and Urban Village just minutes south of PP for $70k - that would be my price range. It would greatly appreciate it if someone could hook me up to get me some recent sales listings from NEW condo developments (or resales) or post the links and contact info here. Mike
I doubt you can get units from D'seaview or Urban Village with that price anymore. I think the asking prices for those are now $100k and up as developer has already sold all small units and there are only resales available.

You might look in these projects additional to D'seaview and Urban Village:
https://buildangkor.com/projects/royal-platinum/ (same Singaporean developer as D'seaview)
https://buildangkor.com/projects/flatiron-by-meridian/ (their Casa by Meridian at Koh Pich is really well built, though this newer project might be out of your price range)
https://buildangkor.com/projects/lz-sea ... esidences/ (this project is by some European guys, location wise though might not be the best)

Just search on Facebook with the projects names to find their own Facebook page.
L-residence projects in Phnom Penh are worth to check if you have limited budget. Finishing is more local standards (kitchen and the style overral) but those you can upgrade yourself. Their buildings are in pretty good locations and you can get studio/1br well below $70k.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

I would be surprised if there were stil available units in D'Seaview. I still have the original sales booklet and other documents such as apartments already sold at the time somewhere. It seemed they initially had a hard time selling from plan and had set up a stall in front of Phsar Leu to find prospective buyers. All penthouses and apartments on higher floors were already sold then, only those with a less interesting view/shadow-side of the building were still available and you could have picked up up two for 70K.

I also remember the build was halted for some time when structural problems with the foundation were discovered and it was already sinking into the apparently soft land underneath. I am not sure how they fixed that though.
MikeD
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeD »

I dont mind resales. Bless those who bought early and now flipping. I am not feeding the frenziness either from these Chinese buyers. I can wait until prices fall back to earth. If either of you or anyone has the patience to help lead me to the unit that i am looking for, i would greatly appeciate that. I would probably give you a small commission for the assistance if that is something that you expect.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic