Buying New Condo in PP vs. Snooky?

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Buying New Condo in PP vs. Snooky?

Post by rogerrabbit »

Flexxman wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:20 pm I would be surprised if there were stil available units in D'Seaview. I still have the original sales booklet and other documents such as apartments already sold at the time somewhere. It seemed they initially had a hard time selling from plan and had set up a stall in front of Phsar Leu to find prospective buyers. All penthouses and apartments on higher floors were already sold then, only those with a less interesting view/shadow-side of the building were still available and you could have picked up up two for 70K.

I also remember the build was halted for some time when structural problems with the foundation were discovered and it was already sinking into the apparently soft land underneath. I am not sure how they fixed that though.
I know the engineer on that project and I never have heard structural problems with the foundation from him. They did have some trouble with flooding because of heavy rains on first few months of the building which did delay the piling work. And after that they switched the construction company which halted the work for couple months. But as far as I know it's been pretty smooth after that. They are still ahed of schedule too with planned completion being mid-late 2020 when latest info it will be ready end of this year already.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Re: Buying New Condo in PP vs. Snooky?

Post by Flexxman »

rogerrabbit wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:27 pm I know the engineer on that project and I never have heard structural problems with the foundation from him. They did have some trouble with flooding because of heavy rains on first few months of the building which did delay the piling work. And after that they switched the construction company which halted the work for couple months. But as far as I know it's been pretty smooth after that. They are still ahed of schedule too with planned completion being mid-late 2020 when latest info it will be ready end of this year already.
That's it. Some guy from Singapore told me at the time he was working for the company that did the structural engineering, and this flooding caused quite some damage. He tried talking me out of an intended purchase (which I was not even contemplating). New or more concrete had to be poured or something similar to fix it, which would never be as strong and weaken the whole structure. Could very well be that he was not involved at all with the project, not even from Singapore or just some drunk telling a story that would sound interesting. Or a previously involved disgruntled ex-employee, who knows? A bit like there are so many 'ex-SAS, ex-MI6, ex-CIA' in South East Asia. No possibility for me to check facts and it seems your acquaintances' (sober) viewpoint is probably more in line with the truth.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic