Buying Condo in Snooky v. Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
MikeD
Expatriate
United States of America

Buying Condo in Snooky v. Phnom Penh

Post by MikeD »

Hello,
I am looking for help from fellow expats. I am looking to buy a one/two bedroom condo either in Snooky or PP as a vacation home/investment. I am from New York. When I'm not there, I plan to rent part of it out or simply let someone stay at look after it. Is anyone here keen on which condo developments I should be looking at? Can anyone recommend an English speaking, trustworthy agent they know or have used? Feel free to PM me; I don't spend frequently visit this site. I have seen something like the D'Seaview in Snooky and Urban Village just minutes south of PP for $70k - that would be my price range. It would greatly appreciate it if someone could hook me up to get me some recent sales listings from NEW condo developments (or resales) or post the links and contact info here. Mike
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Buying Condo in Snooky v. Phnom Penh

Post by armchairlawyer »

MikeD wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:25 am Hello,
I am looking for help from fellow expats. I am looking to buy a one/two bedroom condo either in Snooky or PP as a vacation home/investment. I am from New York. When I'm not there, I plan to rent part of it out or simply let someone stay at look after it. Is anyone here keen on which condo developments I should be looking at? Can anyone recommend an English speaking, trustworthy agent they know or have used? Feel free to PM me; I don't spend frequently visit this site. I have seen something like the D'Seaview in Snooky and Urban Village just minutes south of PP for $70k - that would be my price range. It would greatly appreciate it if someone could hook me up to get me some recent sales listings from NEW condo developments (or resales) or post the links and contact info here. Mike
I suggest you start by reading the National Bank of Cambodia's views on the real estate market. They are the central bank (equivalent of the Fed).
https://www.nbc.org.kh/download_files/p ... pr2019.pdf
In particular page 38 et seq
MikeD
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeD »

Arm...do you expect prices to fall given the continued oversupply of condo projects. Would it ne reasonable to assume 80% of the buyers are from overseas, particularly from China, driving up the prices? What is the local mortgage rate for $75,000? Do most buyers take out loans from local banks?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

MikeD wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:57 pm Arm...do you expect prices to fall given the continued oversupply of condo projects. Would it ne reasonable to assume 80% of the buyers are from overseas, particularly from China, driving up the prices? What is the local mortgage rate for $75,000? Do most buyers take out loans from local banks?
I don't know. The NBC clearly thinks there is a good chance of a fall in condo prices. The stats on the numbers of new units about to hit the market are pretty amazing. Loans can come from local banks or from the developer (the NBC comments on the risks associated with that). Rates are about 8-9% when from a reputable bank. Cambodians prefer to buy borey houses than condos. Given dollar shortages in China and difficulties in getting tenants for condos, sales to overseas buyers may be getting difficult.
There is another recent thread on Chinese investments in Cambodia.
MikeD
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeD »

Let it fall to tbe ground!
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

MikeD wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:57 pm Arm...do you expect prices to fall given the continued oversupply of condo projects. Would it ne reasonable to assume 80% of the buyers are from overseas, particularly from China, driving up the prices? What is the local mortgage rate for $75,000? Do most buyers take out loans from local banks?
Most condos are bought with cash, not with loan money. Some boreys (landed houses in gated communities) are bought with loan money though, but condos no. Prices will only fall on projects that are in bad locations. Rental prices though will and have already started to fall even in central locations. But the rents have been really high in Phnom Penh earlier.
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

armchairlawyer wrote:Rates are about 8-9% when from a reputable bank.
You don't have a clue do you ? I hadn't read such bollocks in a long time.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

logos wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:00 am
High on anger, short on data.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

logos wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:00 am
I contributed data that I had researched by asking Canadia how much they charge and looking at ads by other banks. You contributed nothing. Either you know something useful but are too selfish to share it, or you have nothing to give except foul-mouthed negativity.
MikeD
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeD »

I dont find 9% unheard of. My question is, can i make this kind of interest safely and who can i loan money to?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic