Culture

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Culture

Post by Ravensnest »

nolan.tomlinson wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:35 am
frank lee bent wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:20 am Khmers are pretty easy going.
I just want to try and make sure I respect their culture.
With this attitude you're going to do just fine. They understand you're a foreigner and not familiar with their tradition. With your correct attitude they will know you mean well. Your elders are called bong for the most part. You can say hi bong, or susdai (hello) bong to elder strangers or if you're not sure if they are older. Elderly ppl are called something else, not bong, and I forget :). Khmers are very friendly for the most part.
Still here, in country...
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Pu (uncle) or ee (auntie) I think
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:49 am Beards may freak the girls out.
Maybe someone will disagree with me.
They like Santa Claus so maybe not.
It is not a problem. They may tell you you look better without a beard. They wont dislike you for having a beard.

I normally remove my beard every time I have a haircut. That way there is no need to shave, but it doesnt get too long.

Some girls can be scared or shy of anyone they dont know. Some girls are not.

Some girls are scared or wary of me when they first meet me, as I am taller than any Cambodians they have met, and also fatter than most.

I am friends with a lot of girls.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

Ravensnest wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:04 am Elderly ppl are called something else, not bong, and I forget :). Khmers are very friendly for the most part.
Transliterated to American English, I see it as "Boo" (uncle) or "Eey" (auntie).
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

Honestly, I think your attitude and the effort you make will get you far. Alot of people expect others to conform to them and don't make an effort to understand or embrace other societies. I haven't read these but there are several that cover culture if you read them before me or anyone else has any input on them let me know I'd love to know if they are any good.👍

https://www.movetocambodia.com/for-more ... d-reading/
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

You are going to be very surprised at how handsome and desirable you are here.

Enjoy every moment of your adventure, I’m really excited for you!
You are going to have an amazing time.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I dunno if they are entirely representative of most khmers but Mrs Cargo and her girlfriends do refer to the fact that many barangs here are not 'clean cut' and a bit scary looking. From what I've gathered that means they like guys to be clean shaven, decent haircut, no tatts and shirts with sleeves rather than wife beater/singlet. They prefer long pants but sort of understand barang like shorts..at least daytime. Of course there are exceptions but I think most khmers will size you up at least initially by your appearance and behaviour. Many, to say the least, are surprised by the lax dress standards and behaviour of some barangs. As others said, gets back to the conservative/traditional ways here. So, in a nutshell being polite with a friendly disposition and appearances matter a lot here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:51 am I dunno if they are entirely representative of most khmers but Mrs Cargo and her girlfriends do refer to the fact that many barangs here are not 'clean cut' and a bit scary looking. From what I've gathered that means they like guys to be clean shaven, decent haircut, no tatts and shirts with sleeves rather than wife beater/singlet. They prefer long pants but sort of understand barang like shorts..at least daytime. Of course there are exceptions but I think most khmers will size you up at least initially by your appearance and behaviour. Many, to say the least, are surprised by the lax dress standards and behaviour of some barangs. As others said, gets back to the conservative/traditional ways here. So, in a nutshell being polite with a friendly disposition and appearances matter a lot here.
True, and a shave will help.

A beard like on the OP's profile picture will scare most Cambodians.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

explorer wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:55 am Monkeys can be scared of people with beards. You look kind of like a monkey
Mok sva Wat Phnom!

Strange post mate. You should think more about how to write posts without offending people with beards.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Despite claims that Cambodia is a Buddhist country, the vast majority of Khmer are Buddhist/Animist. They all strongly believe in spirits and ghosts. Many Khmer will even claim to have seen a ghost.

This book could be a good starting point in understanding their beliefs https://booksaboutcambodia.com/book-cat ... lip-coggan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic