Disability

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
nolan.tomlinson
Tourist
United States of America

Disability

Post by nolan.tomlinson »

I am on social security disability payments. Does anyone know if it will be an issue to continue to receive my benefits when I relocate? I will of course check with the social security people but just wondered if anyone here had any practical experience with the issue.
NeverNude
Expatriate
Hungary

Re: Disability

Post by NeverNude »

No, but I’ve researched the topic for a mate. Yes, you can receive SSI or SSDI In Cambodia. Just need a bank account (maynot even need that, IIRC can have it sent straight from the US government, but I can’t recall exactly) in both countries, and you can have it automatically transferred to your Cambodian account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nolan.tomlinson
Tourist
United States of America

NeverNude wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:24 pm No, but I’ve researched the topic for a mate. Yes, you can receive SSI or SSDI In Cambodia. Just need a bank account (maynot even need that, IIRC can have it sent straight from the US government, but I can’t recall exactly) in both countries, and you can have it automatically transferred to your Cambodian account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. That was what I was hoping. Of course I will still get with the social security folks to make sure of how it all works but this gives hope for a good outcome.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

nolan.tomlinson wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:11 pm I am on social security disability payments. Does anyone know if it will be an issue to continue to receive my benefits when I relocate? I will of course check with the social security people but just wondered if anyone here had any practical experience with the issue.
I have friends here who collect pensions and disability payments etc from the VA etc and it shouldn't be much different. Just make sure you get stuff coordinated between whatever agency is paying you and your bank before you leave, and have a card that works here, Visa seems to be okay.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I recommend keeping your US bank account, and withdrawing from it through ATMs. The fees are high when money is transferred to an overseas bank account. It also makes it simple when you return to the US.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
nolan.tomlinson
Tourist
United States of America

explorer wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:26 am I recommend keeping your US bank account, and withdrawing from it through ATMs. The fees are high when money is transferred to an overseas bank account. It also makes it simple when you return to the US.
Yeah I went to my bank today to make sure that my card would work once I went over. I thought it was suggested to open an account there? And least in the reading I have done it seems to be.
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

nolan.tomlinson wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:39 am
explorer wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:26 am I recommend keeping your US bank account, and withdrawing from it through ATMs. The fees are high when money is transferred to an overseas bank account. It also makes it simple when you return to the US.
Yeah I went to my bank today to make sure that my card would work once I went over. I thought it was suggested to open an account there? And least in the reading I have done it seems to be.
Keep a U.S. account and open another account here. I recommend ABA, but it will depend on where you settle.
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

The others are shooting you straight. Keep direct deposit to your US bank acct and make sure you bring your Debit/visa. I would recommend bringing a spare one, ask your bank for a second card just in case you lose one here. You are a US citizen anywhere you ago and you have earned and will receive your ssi/ retirement. As long as you do not renounce citizenship of course.
Still here, in country...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

contact ss in the Philippines< ( [email protected] ). You need advise them ur living overseas and where.
Once ur living overseas, the ss sends u a snail mail every year that you MUST respond to which tells them your still alive.
My ss payments go into my US account an than i just wire over to my local bank 1-2 x/year

Apply Online for Benefits – it is fast and easy!
You can apply for the following benefits online:

1. Retirement at http://www.ssa.gov/planners/about.htm8
2. Disability at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/applyfordisability/
3. Medicare Only at http://www.ssa.gov/medicareonly/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Extremely bad advice for long-termers.

For instance, ACLEDA charges 0.1% for incoming money, with a minimum of 10$. My overseas bank charges EUR 6,95. That means I can receive up to 10.000 USD just 10 USD plus EUR 6,95. After that I get 0.5 interest (at home: 0%) and I can withdraw free of charge as many times as I want.

A withdrawal with my overseas bank card will cost me at least USD 5 each time, plus EUR 2,95 for my overseas bank.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic