Barang Claims He Was Scammed by Khmerican Owner of Hometown Hangout in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Barang Claims He Was Scammed by Khmerican Owner of Hometown Hangout in Phnom Penh

Post by angkorjohn2 »

I was down there for a drink in March or April I think, nice enough place and guy although they did some free beer from 6:30pm-7pm and a bunch of loud gangbanger deportees and a few of the great unwashed came to drink as much as they could in 30 minutes before the presumably prohibitive price of $1 was put back in place which took a shine off the evening. Anyway, back on topic, Having seen the interior and bathroom and bar, if that was a restoration job 2 months prior to my visit then no wonder the guy is withholding payment. Place made Showbox look like it was the Elephant Bar.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Barang Claims He Was Scammed by Khmerican Owner of Hometown Hangout in Phnom Penh

Post by fax »

The DP community is oddly fascinating. I have many friends who are DP. I spend a lot of time with them actually several times a week. Of course there's a huge difference between the cannabis cultivator and the guy who slit someone's throat in a robbery gone wrong.

I have a lot in common with them on a personal level. Sometimes I feel like a barang version of Sudhir Venkatesh.

Support your local DP
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

A little off-topic, but I was quite surprised to see the dutch Kapsalon fastfood dish on his menu:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapsalon

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I'm sure the owner of Hometown Hangout has an explanation for his lack of repayment ? :popcorn:
Pure speculation.
He's not breaking even - too much rain, not enough Dutch people (eating Kapsalon), too many homeys drinking free beers ...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic