deciding where to live

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
The Suk Straggler
BANNED

Re: deciding where to live

Post by The Suk Straggler »

You will fit right in ... most Americans who move to Cambodia are broke.

Must read article: “Seven Reasons Why You Shouldn’t move to Cambodia” by the great Gavinmac!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

OP, be extremely careful.

Bipolar / depression and Cambodia are an extremely bad cocktail. If you go, make sure some watches your back, because if you do not make arrangements nobody will.

And make sure your situation is fully under control and the meds you might be taking are available locally.....
nolan.tomlinson
Tourist
United States of America

Post by nolan.tomlinson »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:36 pm OP, be extremely careful.

Bipolar / depression and Cambodia are an extremely bad cocktail. If you go, make sure some watches your back, because if you do not make arrangements nobody will.

And make sure your situation is fully under control and the meds you might be taking are available locally.....
Thanks for the concern. I am on minimal meds and actually think a new environment will potentially be a good thing. I think the excitement of so many new things to do will be very helpful.
nolan.tomlinson
Tourist
United States of America

Post by nolan.tomlinson »

The Suk Straggler wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:34 pm You will fit right in ... most Americans who move to Cambodia are broke.

Must read article: “Seven Reasons Why You Shouldn’t move to Cambodia” by the great Gavinmac!
I think I read that. I know I read one article about why you shouldn't move to Cambodia. I admit it sounded a bit like someone who lived there already not wanting new people come in and possibly mess things up. It seemed a bit like overstating the negatives just like the Cambodia is a utopia articles overstate the positives.
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

I can understand not wanting to live in the U.S. (there's a reason I'm here instead obviously), but I'll be the first to say that if you're on disability for depression, I think Cambodia is the WRONG PLACE for you. It's likely not going to alleviate anything, only make things worse.

I know you said you don't want to, but I'd seriously consider staying in the U.S. Go to rural Hawai'i if you like bird watching and the jungles. It's plenty rural and not too expensive to live in if you live simply. $1,300 is plenty to have a comfy life an hour away from Hilo or Kona.

The reason those of us here are saying avoid, is because we've seen way too many people in similar situations as yours come here and do themselves in soon after. I personally don't want the same to happen to you. I don't want to sound morbid, but that's our reality here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

nolan.tomlinson wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:40 pm

Thanks for the concern. I am on minimal meds and actually think a new environment will potentially be a good thing. I think the excitement of so many new things to do will be very helpful.
You're the boss.

But.... If you're situation is serious enough to be on 'disability' I would choose another place than Cambodia. This is a pretty in(s)ane country, you know. Sometimes it's driving me crazy too.

And about your reasons, forests, birds... It's nearly all done. Although.... Plenty of snakes though. Yesterday I drove over a snake on my motorbike, my kid asked me what it was. We turned around and when we came to the poor animal a local women picked it up already to prepare it as a 'snack' in her house.

That's rural Cambodia.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Well, the whole point of being an expat is that that you don't have to choose a place to stay but you can just live wherever you are at the moment. This is of course assuming that you have given most of you possessions and rent furnished places.

Or, have a base and travel around from there. It's easy and common to visit Cambodia's neighboors and the move to one of them after a few years (or months,weeks, days) is a definite option.

Anyway, every place has its advantages and disadvantages, and only you can really decide if a certain place is "good". Travel light and be flexible. You can easily fall out of love with a place, but there's always somewhere else to go.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

...The disability is for bipolar and depression not anything physical. ....
STRONGLY suggest you forget Cambodia if these are ur disabilities.
Prehaps somewhere closer to home like Costa Rica or Panama
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

"Why then the world's mine oyster,
Which I with sword will open."

Looking forward to seeing you over here Nolan,
I think you're gonna like it. Good move.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I thought bipolar disorder was a normal illness here for many visitors. But you could say more so for local people, especially the ladies whom the visitors seek out for fulfilling their needs and pleasure. Saying this the longer I am with a person their condition seems to grow. Maybe I have the wrong effect on the situation.
Possibly for my outlook towards the illness, bipolar and such likes has dyslexia are either attention seeking or the first being a well known benefit scam, allowing and giving the means for the person to travel far and wide with no medical supervision/support they would have at home in their own countries.
Self-managment or learning, of the individuals personal problems are only needed to keep a head of clear thought, and not be problematic for people around them.
This is not in any way of an attack on the OP nor anyone else it may concern.
Further to the problem of bipolar are there any medical people to help or medication available?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic