health insurance for dummies

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
barrelscraper
Tourist
Great Britain

health insurance for dummies

Post by barrelscraper »

Hello all

I know this topic has come up a few times but don't think my specific questions have been answered. So if anyone knows their stuff and has the time to answer any of the below, I'd be hugely grateful.

I need to insure myself and can no longer rely on doing it by World Nomads as I have in the past for various reasons.

I've found a policy which I can just about afford from Regency Insurance. It's Major Medical which means it's inpatient only. But I'm a bit stupid when it comes to stuff like this so have a few questions if anyone knows the answer:

1) If I felt really sick (let's say dengue fever) and admitted myself to hospital, would that be covered under inpatient care? Or would they say I should have gone to a GP first?
2) It ONLY covers semi private hospital rooms (and people have actually been denied claims for going fully private rooms) - does anyone know decent or decentish hospitals in Cambodia which actually have semi private hospital rooms?
3) Oncology is covered, but presumably only if you stay in hospital from the moment you feel sick. If you leave, you become an outpatient, right?

Three more questions:
1) Has anyone used Regency and what are your general thoughts?
2) Has anyone claimed anything on Regency and how did that go?
3) This one is a bit of a tangent, but I would be covered by the insurance if I got into a motorbike accident as long as I am meeting legal requirements - does anyone know the exact legal requirements now in Cambodia. Are you legally required to have motorbike insurance for example, and what kind?

As I said, any thoughts or ideas at all are very welcome.

SPM
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: health insurance for dummies

Post by atst »

barrelscraper wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:14 am Hello all

I know this topic has come up a few times but don't think my specific questions have been answered. So if anyone knows their stuff and has the time to answer any of the below, I'd be hugely grateful.

I need to insure myself and can no longer rely on doing it by World Nomads as I have in the past for various reasons.

I've found a policy which I can just about afford from Regency Insurance. It's Major Medical which means it's inpatient only. But I'm a bit stupid when it comes to stuff like this so have a few questions if anyone knows the answer:

1) If I felt really sick (let's say dengue fever) and admitted myself to hospital, would that be covered under inpatient care? Or would they say I should have gone to a GP first?
2) It ONLY covers semi private hospital rooms (and people have actually been denied claims for going fully private rooms) - does anyone know decent or decentish hospitals in Cambodia which actually have semi private hospital rooms?
3) Oncology is covered, but presumably only if you stay in hospital from the moment you feel sick. If you leave, you become an outpatient, right?

Three more questions:
3) This one is a bit of a tangent, but I would be covered by the insurance if I got into a motorbike accident as long as I am meeting legal requirements - does anyone know the exact legal requirements now in Cambodia. Are you legally required to have motorbike insurance for example, and what kind?

SPM
As far as I know to legally ride a motorcycle you need a Cambodian licence even under 125 cc but even having this your insurance company still may not cover you you need to check with them
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

atst wrote:

Three more questions:

SPM
As far as I know to legally ride a motorcycle you need a Cambodian licence even under 125 cc but even having this your insurance company still may not cover you you need to check with them
You certainly aren't required to hold motorcycle insurance here, but your insurance will need to explicitly include it if you expect cover for motorcycle accidents.

Many insurers will require you to be properly licenced for the bike you're riding in your home country and here/wherever you are covered.

There is no licence class for <125cc bikes as of 2016, but I believe the published law still references the old A2(?) class.
Bibi
Expatriate
Greece

Post by Bibi »

1) I don't think you can "admit yourself" to hospital. You need to get your insurance authorisation/validation before. You don't need a GP first, go directly to hospital and the admission officer will contact your insurance for authorisation.
2) Never heard of "semi private room" in Cambodia. It's 100% private.
3) Yes, if you leave you're outpatient. But most hospitals are used to "play" with the inpatient/outpatient coverage: if you are inpatient only they will ask for a 24 hours hospitalisation so that you get covered, and it usually works.

Did you try to ask for an insurance quotation to some local brokers like AG Cambodia? They have insurances well adapted to Cambodia and they handle the discussion with hospital/insurance in case of emergency, in Khmer.
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

Three more questions:

SPM
Hi barrelscraper and welcome. Whenever I find myself in Cambodia, I have used Regency and let me tell you, they are a fantastic company. World Nomads is a BS company. I have used them for moto accidents, oncology related incidents and alcohol-related incidents and they have never failed me. I have stayed in private, semi-private, and even public rooms in hospitals that were either decent or decentish. No problems whatsoever. Highly recommend.
barrelscraper
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by barrelscraper »

Hello everyone. Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help. Much appreciated. I went for Regency. It's weird, now I've spent so much I almost hope I get some kind of norovirus just to get my money's worth
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

barrelscraper wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:49 pm Hello everyone. Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help. Much appreciated. I went for Regency. It's weird, now I've spent so much I almost hope I get some kind of norovirus just to get my money's worth
Try this then...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic