American and British( Australia) English!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: American and British( Australia) English!

Post by Username Taken »

AB101 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:54 pm Note. There is English and there are bastardisations of English.
Ahem! You mean 'bastardization' don't you?

:facepalm:
AB101
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by AB101 »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:32 pm
AB101 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:54 pm Note. There is English and there are bastardisations of English.
Ahem! You mean 'bastardization' don't you?

:facepalm:
Nope....

Cambridge Dictionary
bastardize
verb [ T ] UK usually bastardise

Oxford English Dictionary
Definition of bastardization in English:
bastardization
(British bastardisation)

But what is one bastard between friends?
All members are equal but some members are more equal than others
Feelgood
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Feelgood »

A niece of a friend, a USA civil servant thought that there was a bridge to Hawaii and New Mexico is in Mexico.
Then a Brit tourist was told by a USA man he had English family in Hannover.
Suggest each nationality keeps to its own 'island' and its language.
B1.Barang
Expatriate

Post by B1.Barang »

sigmoid wrote::Your IELTS band score for writing is based on the following "descriptors":

- Task response
- Coherence and cohesion
- Lexical resource
- Grammatical range and accuracy

For more details:

https://www.ieltsreview.com/ielts-writi ... scriptors/

The TOEFL test has similar criteria that you can find online.
Thanks you so much! I heard from my British teacher that if you mix American with British English you might lose your score! Just want to know more about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B1.Barang
Expatriate

Post by B1.Barang »

AB101 wrote:
B1.Barang wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:38 am What will be a problem if you write American English mix with British English in TOEFL or IELTS?
My brain already mixed them up and I can’t assure which is American or British English!
ImageImage

Translation into English.

Will there be any problems if someone mixes American English and English in TOEFL or IELTS tests?

My brain cannot differentiate between the two and therefore I cannot state for certain which is American English and which is English.

Note. There is English and there are bastardisations of English.
Thank you so much for your translation, My English is not so good and I only write what I learnt. However, some words I don’t know its meaning!

AB101
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by AB101 »

B1.Barang wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:59 pm Thank you so much for your translation, My English is not so good and I only write what I learnt. However, some words I don’t know its meaning!

Not so sure about this....??????

Your first posts were written in a very good style that had very few mistakes in them.

Your later posts deteriorate as if you are deliberately writing in a slightly poorer English.
All members are equal but some members are more equal than others
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

AB101 wrote:Not so sure about this....??????

Your first posts were written in a very good style that had very few mistakes in them.

Your later posts deteriorate as if you are deliberately writing in a slightly poorer English.
Trying to be a grammar nazi or sleuth?

C’mon, not all members of this board have such enlightened language skills as you do.

The OP is asking straightforward question.

Please try not to scare off the locals.
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

Feelgood wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:34 pm A niece of a friend, a USA civil servant thought that there was a bridge to Hawaii...
It's amazing how many people believe this.

On the subject of "Commonwealth" vs American English though, I don't think the line is as clear as people think. Granted my mum was born in York and speaks accordingly so I'm much more mixed up than most, but personally I don't even think it's possible to make a clear distinction besides a few words like "Aluminium" vs. "Aluminum", "Lorry" vs. "Semi truck", "Petrol" vs. "Gas" etc because terms I've heard "Brits" say was "proper" English I've also heard Americans use, and vise versa. Ill, sick, autumn, fall, jumper, sweater, taxi, cab (or taxi cab)...I was taught those in primary school (or elementary school, I've heard both) in the U.S.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

True.

I’ve heard plenty of US Americans pronounce Route correctly- sounds like Root. I think from the North East. While many pronounce it Rout, as in defeat.

On the subject of places and access- I was once praised for the quality of my English by a Pretty young waitress/college student while travelling through San Antonio. So good was my English she presumed I must have come from France.

At least we can get a beer correctly, even though there is much confusion regards the bill.

I’m often accused of speaking with Received Pronunciation. Probably rooted in my education. Oddly, my brother* sounds like a bastard cross between a chav/pikey/darkest Darsit farmer. We initially went to the same schools, it just so happens that I stayed after assembly more often than he did. (Roll call)
Sometimes, you just can’t learn someone proper.

Folks from Kansas (why is the other Arkansore?) are probably more likely to understand me than my brother. That said, most of the time, I don’t understand my brother.

*he’s more my parents other son, but ‘brother’ is simpler...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:10 pm I once started a Spanish night class once. The teacher was Argentinian, and kept making the distinction between South American pronunciation and actual Spanish pronunciation. It did my head in. Teachers need to pick one dialect and stick to it.
I had this problem in Panama. My Spanish (what little I knew) was learnt in Europe/Spain. The hotel receptionist told me this was the problem- the Spanish don’t speak Spanish properly (unlike in the Americas.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic